Under Hood Insulation Coming Loose FIX!?!?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I used closed cell, blue ridged insulation, cut in strips of various lengths. It is just wide enough to fit, held in by interference with the slot in the hood. I'll let you know how it works, but insulation hanging down not acceptable. ANY OTHER IDEAS? I was going to take it down and glue something ridged to the liner to make it stay better, but this is the Beta version, MkI attempt.

Last edited:

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Interesting. Our JSW hasn't experienced this yet, but my MkV GLI has. I've wanted to remedy this, as it looks like an airflow sensor (going to the turbo) on my GLI has warn/burnt a hole in the fiber insulation :O

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I cleaned all the old foam from the plastic engine cover and put a couple of layers of Dynamat. It is a soft sound absorbing material easy to cut to fit. I has worked well for me. It is often used for audio systems.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I just had both cars hood insulation replace under warranty.I had the same concern about air over the turbo.

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My Golf TDI after 65k miles has the same problem. The heat from the area between the firewall and the engine on the passenger side is making the mat floppy and unable to retain its shape, so the tab on the mat cannot stay inside the slot on the underside of the hood.

Any idea? I am thinking about yanking off the entire mat...

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Try to get it replace under warranty a new one is around $100.They did change the design.If you take it off the may burn the paint on the hood.

The one thing that did work but it was a pain to get in with out scratching the paint.I used the metal spring end on a heavy duty clip the type that holds stack of papers together. I can post a picture if you need to.Come on over I can help you out.

Ps I had both replace under warranty.

Tom

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Try to get it replace under warranty a new one is around $100.They did change the design.If you take it off the may burn the paint on the hood.

The one thing that did work but it was a pain to get in with out scratching the paint.I used the metal spring end on a heavy duty clip the type that holds stack of papers together. I can post a picture if you need to.Come on over I can help you out.

Ps I had both replace under warranty.

Tom
I have over 65k miles. I highly doubt they will warranty the mat. Could you post the part number of the new mat they gave you?

MonsterTDI09

TDI
I have over 65k miles. I highly doubt they will warranty the mat. Could you post the part number of the new mat they gave you?

The part number 1k0-863-831-D Sound ABS.

Tom

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
My 04 GLI did this. I was able to take the clips out and expand them a bit more to hold it in, but it still had a few spots that liked to fall over the clips.

Scorpo900

TDI
Golf 2011 4D
I'm working on designing a retainer bra for it. :) for real! A few strips of metal band from front to back and a cross member in the center all welded together. The bra will be supported in the same support ports of the factory mat with rubber or similar brackets. Not even have a design yet. Will post progress.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Has anyone just tried some glue? Mine is coming loose as well on the drivers side and it looks like it was factory glued with some type of adhesive. I wonder if crazy glue or Aileens craft glue will work? Though the craft glue will probably just melt under any type of heat circumstance

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Has anyone just tried some glue? Mine is coming loose as well on the drivers side and it looks like it was factory glued with some type of adhesive. I wonder if crazy glue or Aileens craft glue will work? Though the craft glue will probably just melt under any type of heat circumstance
The back is fuzzy soft fiber like house insulation. You can't glue it. It would just bull the fuzzy insulation off. You could glue some nylon posts to the metal hood and push through insulation. You then would slid some kind of snap onto the post. I have looked at the auto part stores and they have stuff that is close.