VW T4 Engine Mount

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
VW T4 Westfalia Engine Conversion

I finished the engine mount on the conversion I'm doing. I'm installing a 1.9 TDI AGR engine on my VW T4 California.
A picture of the mount finished and painted :D

João

Last edited:

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
Ok. Here they are. I hope you like it :D

João

Without engine

New Engine

Gearbox clean and ready to go

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Nice project. I'm not familiar with the AGR, how many hp? VNT? What did you use for a trans? Did you use a FMIC?

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
how about some pics of the Beetle in the background, what year? '72

Last edited:

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
mogly said:
Nice project. I'm not familiar with the AGR, how many hp? VNT? What did you use for a trans? Did you use a FMIC?
The AGR has 90HP but the case is the same of the 110HP. Only the injectors and the turbo are different. The AGR turbo is not the VNT. I can get a VNT for free but need to be repaired. I would also need to change the N75. The gearbox is the original that came with the van. I only change the 5th ratio gear. The gearbox isn’t very strong so I can’t put a lot of HP on it.
:D

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
JASONP said:
how about some pics of the Beetle in the background, what year? '72

off-topic :D

Yep it's a 72 super beetle 1302 in Europe. I upgrade the engine to a 1600DP since the original engine was a AB 1300DB. It's a jubilee. My father bought it new in June of 1972 and is on the family since then. Great car never broke ;)

João

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Neat! I have a 1960 Bug with a Berg-5 and Berg 1776...haven't driven it in a few years (too many other things going on right now), but it's a blast to drive! I've also had the privilege of driving some early VWs...a '49 Hebmuller, a '50 Standard, a '53 convertible, and a Judson-powered '53 split. All were fun and drove very nice, even with the crashbox transaxles they came with back then...

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
Thanks for the reply put the welder was on its maximum power. It has two layers of welding. I hope it can handle the engine without broke. :rolleyes:

João

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
VW T4 1.9 TDI Conversion

The dimensions of the engine mount were correct and the engine entered with no problems.
The vacuum line to the brakes and the fuel lines are connected. The tubes that go from the filter to the turbo, to the intercooler and to the manifold will be difficult to install because the space available is limited.
The project is going on and that’s the most important think right now. :D

João

Last edited:

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion

I’m doing an update to this conversion.
I have already done 15 000km on it and everything is working fine. The change I made on 5th gear ratio made a huge difference on RPM while cruising. With this engine I reduced the noise inside for more than 50%. Now I can speak with my soon on the back seat. :)
At 120km/h I can get 7.3 l/100km (33 MPG - us)
I installed the cruise control and tune it. I can drive at 120km/h with no problem even uphill. I can easy go to 140km/h.
My problem right now is the hot weather. I will install an AC and I started to pick up the parts I need. I bought the condenser, the evaporator and the expansion valve on ebay. I also have some AC tubes that I need. I hope to start to install the AC next week. I hope everything goes well as it did with the engine.

João

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
No I didn't. I used the oil pan, the oil pickup tube and the dipstick from a VW T5 AXB engine. The angle isn't correct but since it's bigger I can put more oil in to compensate.
If you need to remove the oil pan you will need to remove the gearbox first, because of a hide bolt. :rolleyes:
The ARG oil pan is too small.

The oil pans are in aluminum so they are hard to solder.

João

Fermounth

TDI
Leon BLS, vw T4 california...
I finished the engine mount on the conversion I'm doing. I'm installing a 1.9 TDI AGR engine on my VW T4 California.

João

This is for use with T4 4 cilinder oem engine mount , or direct use from engine block to t4 rubber mount?
I will do the conversión on mine with AGR but i have 2.4 AAB. I need to know how do you make the support.
Thanks

Flynn Russell

TDI
2912 gtd

João

Hi Joao,I am from n.ireland and hope to fit an agr engine in to my 98 T4 able 1.9.i noticed communications have ceased from yourself but I am hoping all is well and you see this message,I am very interested in your discussions regarding the engine mount and the sump change,if you see this message could you please reply,Flynn