Can VCDS tell you if a scheduled service has actually been performed?

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
So I have VCDS, have used it a lot, mainly to keep dealer service honest (caught one place trying to scam me once, long story). Anyway a good car buddy/car geek friend of mine is thinking of buying a CPO (or maybe not CPO) TDI buyback Jetta Sportwagen.

He wants DSG since his wife will be driving an arduous commute with it. A lot of the cars he is looking at have just below 40k or just above 40k on them. I explained to him the 40k DSG service is rather expensive and to make sure that has been done or negotiate it to be done as part of the deal.

I realize you can reset the Service Indicator with VCDS but can you actually validate specific procedures (like the DSG service) have been done? I realize some things (like say an air filter) you would not be able to tell but what about DSG service, fuel filter changes, that sort of thing?

I have mainly done just full scans to check for codes, but recently used it to check the Ash Level in my DPF (it was 9 ml, which corresponded nicely to the 10,000 miles since the DPF got replaced under warranty).

I offered to scan any car he winds up bringing home so any things I should look for other than just running the full scan and maybe checking ash load?

Thanks!

Analogeezer

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I realize you can reset the Service Indicator with VCDS but can you actually validate specific procedures (like the DSG service) have been done? I realize some things (like say an air filter) you would not be able to tell but what about DSG service, fuel filter changes, that sort of thing?

Unfortunately the answer is no. If the service was done by a VW dealer, the maintenance history would be available to any dealer through VW's computer system, but the car itself has no way to know if/when any regular service has been completed.

Have Fun!

Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Get a dealer receipt showing the service was done and the parts used. Fluids and filters. I would ask that the whole 40k service be done as part of the deal. I would also choose the CPO if at all possible. If CPO and they show the service being done then covered under warranty if something happens.