2006 Jetta TDI Problem

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously > 2006 Jetta TDI BRM 5MT [Silver], 2000 Jetta TDI ALH 5MT [Blue] , 2005.5 Jetta BRM DSG [Grey]
I replaced the Timing belt, Camshaft, All filters less than 3000km ago. it drove fine for a while but now that the weather has gotten a lot colder this new problem has just started.

After the car has sat for the night, i start the car up in the morning without any issue. if i start driving or revving the engine cold i begin experience the following issue.

If it happens while driving usually happens within the first km or two:

a sudden loss of power, the engine starts stumbling, rpm drops and can not be maintained. if try to continue driving the engine stalls and turns off. i can get it started again without issue, but the problem is usually still there and still i am unable to drive the car.

If it happens when the car is at idle:

if i am revving the cold engine all of the sudden the engine noise changes and the rpm drops, and at this point i cannot drive the car and if i try to press the accelerator the rpm is very choppy.

if i turn the car off leave it for a few minutes (5-10) then start it back up again the engine is back to normal. while driving the turbo boost is just as it should be...there are no weird noises from the engine no smoke during acceleration (when the car is warm)

i have uploaded 2 videos to youtube to show you the issue please follow the links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBFgpSIjGV8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH3PJ1KU0vc

a couple times now the glow plug light has flashed when i was driving. but this doesnt affect the performance of the car at all. upon checking it with a code reader ( not VCDS, just a VW scanner by Autel ) it shows a code for the brake light switch, and nothing else. i did buy a new one and will be putting it in tonight.

but i dont think that can be the issue can it?

V-Rod

Veteran Member
TDI
2014, 06 Jetta TDI Auto
In case you havent, change your fuel filter and put some injector cleaner/conditioner in. That would be the first thing I would do.

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously > 2006 Jetta TDI BRM 5MT [Silver], 2000 Jetta TDI ALH 5MT [Blue] , 2005.5 Jetta BRM DSG [Grey]
The fuel filter was replaced 2000km ago. I think it may be ok. I'm pretty sure fuel delivery is not an issue, I can hear the fuel pump run before I start the car. Plus on the lucky days when this problem doesn't happen the car runs absolutly fine...

bcautosound

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Unplug anti shudder valve and see if problem goes away. It will throw a DTC when you do this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2STROKECORKY

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk5 gt tdi 170
i would recomend you check your timing real quick,

a friend of mine had the same issue, he replaced the belt for a non genuine item and had similar issues
dont forget that while the engine is cold the timing is at its most advanced state, so you could have had a point where the timing has knocked out slightly as my pal did.
he replaced the belt for a genuine item and all was well, while he removed the belt he had just put on he marked it all up, and it turned out he had a dodgy belt

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
If its fuel related could be the lift pump. Do a search. It could be an intermittent electrical short to the coolant temp sensor wiring at the connector where the wires are crossed over one another and wear through and short intermittentantly. The sensor I am talking about is between the oil filter and air box and mounted on the block. I have also heard of the wiring loom in this same area having wiring start to fry do to vibration. Do a search Bob S as I think he was the one most involved with that one. Otherwise had both the problems initially mentioned.

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
i would recomend you check your timing real quick,

a friend of mine had the same issue, he replaced the belt for a non genuine item and had similar issues
dont forget that while the engine is cold the timing is at its most advanced state, so you could have had a point where the timing has knocked out slightly as my pal did.
he replaced the belt for a genuine item and all was well, while he removed the belt he had just put on he marked it all up, and it turned out he had a dodgy belt
The belt that I used was a gates one (t333), which is comparible to oem if I'm not mistaken. I'll check the timing again.

But if it was the timing then wouldn't this issue be there at all times?

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
I would recommend trying a good fuel additive with anti-gel in it. It is possible that you got a bad tank of fuel that has not been blended/conditioned for the colder temperatures we have been getting recently.

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I've had this problem for at least 1000km. I've refuelled in between. I've tried diesel purge.

Btw the problem happened this morning again and I'm getting new codes 01027 and 01393.

I can't find any info on these, does anyone have any idea?

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Even though it's been 2000km since you changed the fuel filter, it could still be clogged. One tank of bad fuel can clog it. Also, like stated above, you could have fuel gelling, especially if this is only happening when it is super cold.

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
I ruled out fuel delivery issues because, on some days with the temperature just as cold there are no issues at all.

I changed the brake light switch with an updated one from Vw, the fault code for the brake switch is gone. But other 2 codes are still there 01027 and 01393. I couldn't find anything on these codes.

Does anyone have any idea what they might be for?

I'm beginning to think it may be a sticking egr valve is there any way to test it?

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
i haven't tried unplugging the ASV, but i did take apart the whole intake assembly and clean it, it wasn't too bad but you never know, hopefully that should of fixed it. I cleared all the codes.

ill update the thread if there is any progress.

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Its been a couple of days since i cleaned the egr system and the intake.

The good news so far is that the issue has not come back. Hopefully that was the end of it. I had absolutely no issues starting it up and driving after sitting in nights as cold as -11*C.

Just as a precaution, is there any routine that i should follow when starting up and driving a tdi after sitting in the cold winter nights?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had a similar stumble-stall a couple minutes after a cold start, yesterday. First time it has ever happened and it came out of the blue. I tried re-starting ... first time, fired up and ran for a second then stalled, waited 30 seconds, second time no fire, waited a minute, third time it started up as if nothing had happened and has continued to run fine ever since.

On the time that it happened, the fuel tank had something over half a tank of Esso fuel, which I don't normally use, and it was the coldest night thus far. I refilled with Shell V-power.

No fault warning lamp.

I tend to suspect that it was a bad tank of fuel, and if this has been happening to others, it might be an inadequately winterized batch from the refinery. I know mine will be due for a fuel filter in another 4000 km.

Try switching fuel brands.

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Its been a couple of days since i cleaned the egr system and the intake.
The good news so far is that the issue has not come back. Hopefully that was the end of it. I had absolutely no issues starting it up and driving after sitting in nights as cold as -11*C.
Just as a precaution, is there any routine that i should follow when starting up and driving a tdi after sitting in the cold winter nights?

For the morning after cold nights, basically the consensus is to start the car, wait about 30 seconds, then drive keeping the RPM's below ~2500 until the car is at operating temp. The gauge on the dash in the car will read 190 degrees when the engine is ~165, and will stay at 190 if the engine goes well over 200 degrees. It's basically a glorified dummy light. Search the forums, many members have asked about cold starts.

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
For the morning after cold nights, basically the consensus is to start the car, wait about 30 seconds, then drive keeping the RPM's below ~2500 until the car is at operating temp. The gauge on the dash in the car will read 190 degrees when the engine is ~165, and will stay at 190 if the engine goes well over 200 degrees. It's basically a glorified dummy light. Search the forums, many members have asked about cold starts.
so I've been following the winter tips. but this issue has been back since yesterday, because the weather in Toronto has been as cold as -29*C with Windchill. but this time instead of the engine going into a "limp" like mode it just shuts off like almost like its running out of diesel. if wait a couple of moments then crank the engine again it starts up just fine....i should add that the car began leaking at the egr cooler in the end of summer and the hissing sound from the valve on the cooler is present for at least 5 minutes when i start the engine cold, but i dont think that should be cause the engine to stall...could it?

i added some Diesel Fuel Supplement today morning when filling up, which is supposed to help with cold temperature starts, de-icing, anti gel etc..etc. (Link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...0380726P/Diesel+Fuel+Supplement.jsp?locale=en )

i commute about 200km a day to and from work, so it should be mixed in with the fuel by tommorow morning...

not sure if its an coincidence but this issue started after i had the camshaft and timing belt done. could this be a timing issue?

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
not sure if its an coincidence but this issue started after i had the camshaft and timing belt done. could this be a timing issue?
Not likely since you drove it for quit a while afterwards.

I added an udate to my easlier post so reread. #6

If the fuel temp. sensor, it is pretty obvious if you remove engine covers and look as discribed. If the connector wires are crossed spread them apart and check for cracked chafing wires. This happens rate at the wire entering the connector. The symptom is a chugging misfire and if it happens long enough you should be able to see unburnt back fuel soot on the snow if you rev it up while it is doing the misfire.

Your best bet is to have diagnostic software to check for abnormal readings while this problem is happening. Find a local guru to do this. Its likely a flaky sensor/ bad ground or chaffing wiring if its electrical. If its not getting fuel then I would be looking at more mechanical re. lift pump, fuel filter tandum pump and air leaks in hose and connections.

Last edited:

muhibmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Not likely since you drove it for quit a while afterwards.

I added an udate to my easlier post so reread. #6

If the fuel temp. sensor, it is pretty obvious if you remove engine covers and look as discribed. If the connector wires are crossed spread them apart and check for cracked chafing wires. This happens rate at the wire entering the connector. The symptom is a chugging misfire and if it happens long enough you should be able to see unburnt back fuel soot on the snow if you rev it up while it is doing the misfire.

Your best bet is to have diagnostic software to check for abnormal readings while this problem is happening. Find a local guru to do this. Its likely a flaky sensor/ bad ground or chaffing wiring if its electrical. If its not getting fuel then I would be looking at more mechanical re. lift pump, fuel filter tandum pump and air leaks in hose and connections.
if it was cracked wiring or anything wouldn't the car register a soft code at least? Plus this issue has NEVER happened when the car is warmed up to operating temperatures.

Im going to meet up with a local TDIClubber equipped with VCDS soon to run a full diagnostic. i dont think that fuel delivery is an issue because when the car begins to misfire after a while there is a defined amount of black smoke that comes out the exhaust, just as you said. Plus I've driven it over 5000km since the issue first came in, so air in the system, restricted fuel supply, lift pump etc. wouldn't allow me to drive the car even if it was warm, plus the car performs like a champ when its warm.

At the same time, since i cleared the codes 2 weeks ago there are no codes registering...but the car is still stalling only when driving before its warmed up by idling at least 5-10 minutes.

The interesting thing is that, it always happens when im up-shifting from 1st into 2nd. if i drive the car in 1st up to the higher rpms for a couple of seconds without shifting to 2nd then usually it doesn't happen...unless its extremely cold outside. Im pretty sure the car still has a original clutch and DMF, can a faulty DMF cause this issue? There are no signs of slipping at all, but there is the occasional jutter at a red light after a long run on the highway.

Also can a faulty EGR valve cause this issue, by flooding a cold motor with exhaust gasses?

is there any way to test the fuel temp sensor?

Also in my case should the tests be performed cold or at operating temps?

what else should i look out for when im diagnosing it with VCDS?

Thank everyone for the help so far.

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
Any more info on this? I too just got a new cam shaft, timing belt done by a suggested guru. Dealership said I also needed an EGR cooler, but my guru said I didn't so he didn't replace it. I am having the same issues. Monday and Tuesday morning stating from a 50 degree F garage and Monday evening starting from outside 27 degrees F, same thing no power and engine stalls. I have yet to have an uneventful cold start.

Any ideas?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
There was a related posting about this issue a week ago. I will give you the same advice, as it happened to me also: the EGR valve "sticks" open, flooding the engine, that's why the engine stumbles and dies. This thing happened to me only when was very cold outside.

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
This would make me a little upset seeing the car was totally torn apart last week to have this done and wasn't. :mad:

f1wanabe

TDI
2015 Golf Tdi S DSG
Going through this exact thing with my step son's 2006. Same starting smoke, bogging down with rpm, Exhaust heading back into the intake to the point where the air cleaner is blocked with soot. Sounds like pinging too. Engine codes are 01027- EGR Circuit and 00257- Mass or volume airflow. I ordered an EGR valve which came in tonight and will first clean the old one or if necessary replace it tomorrow and report back. Gotta fix it because he's driving my Sportwagen for the past 3 days! :eek: Hope the MAF isn't fouled.