1992 Jetta TD to AHU TDI swap type dealio

TDI
1991 Golf GTI - TDI
Greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster and just joined.
As Uberhare can vouch, I'm by no means new to dubs....just new to diesels...and even newer to TDI's

So here's my daily.
1992 Jetta TD with roughly 285K kms on it....just broken in really.
In winter mode after a trip to Ikea

And here in summer mode

I bought the car last March from a Police officer east of Toronto.
Over the past year, with lots of parts from Perjad @ Precision Tuning, I got it up to snuff. Sadly, around Christmas this year, the injection pump started leaking. The smell of the leaking fuel when I'm stuck in traffic is just unbearable. So something had to be done. And while I love the raw simplicity of the IDI, the additional performance and economy of the TDI was really appealing. So the decision I had to make was pay Gilles for one of his super pumps (and because I lacked the timing tools and the know-how) pay him to Re and Re the pump, or close my eyes, and jump into the realm of TDI's. I'm not a finesse mechanic by any means, more of a rip and replace type person. Plus I've done a few motor swaps on VW's in the past, so I figured why not take a TDI from a nasty, rusty mk3 Hecho en Mexico POS Jetta and toss it into a nice clean German made mk2 shell.

So I bought a donor from off VWVortex.

And got to work stripping it

So here's where I stand now.

I have everything needed from the donor based on this checklist from G60ING http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2560652&postcount=35
Everything I needed that wasn't on the donor, like the B4 Passat TDI pedal cluster and a few other misc widgets were procured from The Source here in Toronto.
And I'm slowly but surely going through the bits and pieces to make sure that everything I have is cleaned, detailed and what should be replaced is.
So, for example....the CTN code 02A tranny:
Before:

Ready for paint:

And of course, while I had it apart I added new flange seals, a new input shaft seal, some new shift tower linkage bits and 2L of Amsoil synthetic gear oil.

So yeah, I'm in no rush to do this swap, just wanna do it once and do it right.
Should have pics tomorrow of the progress on the longblock itself.
I tore into it over the past week, removed the intake and exhaust manifolds...man of man there was lots-o-carbon in the intake ports and manifold:eek:
Doing the timing belt and tensioner (with Uberhare's help), already did the rear main seal and I'm in the middle of trying to get the blasted injectors out of the head so I can have my local truck shop Diesel Doctors check them, with the eventual goal of tossing some nozzles on them:D

So yeah, that's kind of where I'm at right now.
What I'm thinking in terms of plans (and I'd REALLY appreciate some feedback on this from you seasoned vets)

For the clutch I sourced a single mass lightened flywheel with a Sachs VR6 clutch kit, I know people with Turbo VR6's and this clutch will hold with them no problem, so it should be good for what I have in store.

What I have in store. Rocket Chips software, 205 Nozzles from Kinetic and the hybrid K03/K04 Turbo from Kerma TDI
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-428/-dsh-K03-fdsh-K04-Hybrid-turbo-for/Detail

My rationale being that I don't want a huge smoke cloud of a car (so the 216 nozzles are out of the question), and I want to retain the stock engine mount on the back, so the hybrid VNT turbos are out due to spacial constraints.

What I am wondering about is whether or not I should delete my EGR?

Ok, so that's the starting point.
Off we go.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Nice! :) Your ikea pic reminds me of the 1 piece fiberglass shower stall I brought home on the golf! The looks you get from people are priceless. :D

I run pp357 nozzles. They do smoke a bit with the RC2 or 3. But, they were MUCH better than the .216s.

EGR? I did my part for the environment, its all still there. :rolleyes:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The AHU (and 1Z) don't monitor air flow to determine if EGR is functioning. Merely plugging the vacuum line at the EGR actuator chamber will suffice, BUT...., be certain that the air vent port in the intake manifold is open and not sealed up. Boost pressure that weeps along the actuator rod has to be vented or it builds up under the actuator diaphragm and opens the EGR.
The EGR valve between exhaust and intake can be opened by intentional vacuum from above as well as by trapped boost pressure from below. This can not only allow reduced O2 exhaust into the intake under low load conditions, but also permits boost pressure to pass into the exhaust when high power output is desired.

For reference: read GeWillie's recent thread in the NorthEast regional forum.

TDI
1991 Golf GTI - TDI
thanks for the welcoming
:)
well, today I spent some time yanking the breather, oil filter flange thingy and the water pump (thankfully no busted bolts).
So I'm off to the Source, Precision Tuning and the dealer for some more bits.
Should have that stuff installed and the front of the block painted by the end of the weekend.
Have to stop working on this drivetrain for a couple days while I tinker with this thing

Need to do some searching....pp357?
What the heck are those and who sells em?
Eager to talk with the guys at KermaTDI about shipping my K03 down to them for the hybrid refurb treatment.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
PP = POWERPLUS. Powerplus nozzles are coated for better fuel atomization. This will give you more power from a smaller nozzle with less smoke. I ran pp357's and had NO smoke on a stock ecu. With RC2 it's tolerable, same car with .216s and RC2 is black.

TDI
1991 Golf GTI - TDI
so I guess the question is, how do the pp357 compare with a .205 nozzle?

Well, today was more cleaning and painting.

Here's a pic of the finished tranny with new clutch fork and T.O. bearing ready for installation

And here's a pic of the longblock, just about ready for the timing belt replacement, and for the front of the block to get painted and a bunch of new seals and the new water pump installed

The biggest problem right now is getting the injectors out.
Does anybody in southern Ontario actually have the tool for pulling these injectors?
Care to rent it out?
I pay well in terms of local micro-brews or German imported beer.:D

TDI
1991 Golf GTI - TDI
been a while since I updated this.
Got sidetracked with my mk1 Jetta.
Anywho, I managed to borrow an injector puller from local diesel nutter Giuliano....5 mins and they were out. So I cleaned up the bodies, loosened up the nozzles and I'm ready for my new nozzles fromIDIparts.
Also got the front of the block all cleaned up and painted.

Next round will be doing the timing belt, reassembling the motor and tranny and setting it aside for a month or so for when the swap is ready to actually begin.

TDI
1991 Golf GTI - TDI
back atcha

so yeah...um....couple things happened...decided to put a Giles Super Pump in my mk2 Jetta...so this TDI drivetrain sat...then last spring I bought a 91 GTI 8V with a dusted clutch and high mileage

Came with nasty-ass aftermarket rims which I sold and paid for the car.:D
Then....out came the drivetrain

And the shifter box and brake/pedal assembly went bye-bye and the engine bay got some much needed cleaning

And lastly some Canadian knock-off insulation...what I like to call Rona-mat

So that brings us up to spring 2011....at which point I was spending most of my time cycling, driving my air-cooled bug, or helping my father renovate his house and work on his toy
a 1965 230SL

TDI
1991 Golf GTI - TDI
So yeah...fall/winter 2011-2012.
The beetle got parked

And I focussed back on this GTD project.
Engine bay is painted and the new parts are going on.

Here, the TDI harness is in, refinished brake booster, new manual steering rack, redone subframe and misc bits

Engine and tranny are back togeather with VR6 clutch and 4cyl lightened 228mm flywheel

Rear GTI beam was removed, sandblasted, new bushings installed, POR15-ed and top-coated.

And the mk3 TDI tank and straps are all ready to go in.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Very nice! Great to see another Alpine white mk2 getting an AHU! Save the GTI dash and mod it to hold the mk3 cluster! Can look so good when done right!
Noticed you are using the stock GTI 8v beam...I chose to use a mk3 jetta beam since GTI 8v's came with a base model golf beam without the sway bar built in...also my GTI 8v came with rear drum brakes which I ditched for the mk3 rear disc setup...is your beam a base model beam or the more desirable 16v beam?

Last edited:
TDI
1991 Golf GTI - TDI
Oh, yes....mk2 Dash is staying...it's a VERY nice, nearly crack-free red stripe one....so yeah....it's staying put.

Back in 04-05 I did a 1990 Jetta GTX VR6 swap...and was amazed how well the mk3 cluster can fit in a mk2 dash (if you carefully mod the two cluster mounting bars in the dash). So I will definitely be going that route.

A friend of mine has a mk3 dash in his 1992 Jetta GTX 20V and I don't like the look of it or the work involved. :eek:

Your thread and the responses for G60ing have been HUGELY valuable in making my decisions for the direction of this project...and for helping with the wiring.

The rear beam is original to the car, I didn't want the wider track of a mk3 beam, plus most of the rear beams I had available to me were from the mk3 CL models we get up here in Canada (no rear sway at all). Believe it or not, all the mk2 Canadian GTI models I have seen have the rear sway bar beam...regardless of if they have disc or drum. This was an 8V car, so it had rear drums. I am not a fan of VW rear disc brakes (tending to seize when you store the car for a year)...and I had a near new mint set of rear drums from another car of mine...so this car is going rear drum. Besides with the ATS Cups, you really don't see the brakes anyways.

Pros on this car is that even though it has high kms, it was never hit and has 90% of its original paint still on it...and shiny! :)
Cons...well it has some usual windshield area rust and the paint was touched up around it...and that was done poorly. It also had some typical engine bay and gas flap rust...all of which I've been cleaning up.

Got some Recaros to replace the original 8V GTI seats

Still trying to sort my intercooler setup...I would like to stay with OEM stuff initially, but I don't want to relocate my battery, so I think I'm going to go with a G60 intercooler and mount it up in the drivers inner fender....so it done this way on a local mk2 BBM G60 GTI.

But still so much to do before then....still have to put in the exhaust, fuel tank and lines, rear beam, brake lines...lotta work in front of me.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I ended up swapping in the same seats! Picked up a set off Craig's list for a great deal. The wider track from the mk3 has been great so far! If you come across the components I would go for it!

TDI
1991 Golf GTI - TDI
Nope...fronts are brand new mk2 control arms with TT bushings...and they allow for ET20 and more pokey rims to actually fit (without 16V arches)...and the rear beam is totally blasted, and refurbed with new OEM bushings...any type of used mk3 beam would be a downgrade at this stage....and just cost me more money.

On the progress front I got the TDI gas tank and lines in tonight, as welll as said refurbed rear beam.
Hopefully going to sort some more engine bits tomorrow and get the wiring squared away and start fitting the mk3 cluster into the mk2 dash.