Neat features you wouldn't have noticed...

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I have an SEL without a sunglasses holder...or don't know how to open it. My 2016 eGolf has a sunglass holder (without sunroof), though.

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Do you have instructions for this?
I'd like to adjust it to some unachieveable low temp and not have to listen to it ever again...
Ha! I'm totally with you on this. I grew up in Edmonton. Been driving in winter conditions for 40+ years and the only thing the stupid "black ice" warning does is annoy the hell out of me. Much safer to turn on "driver awareness" every time you get behind the wheel. If you need an idiot light to tell you what the road conditions are, should you really be driving?

I'm tired of car manufacturers taking all the common sense and skill out of driving a car and turning it into a bland, personality-less appliance.
What I'd really like today is a brand new 20 year old car.

Luddite rant over.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
I have an SEL without a sunglasses holder...or don't know how to open it. My 2016 eGolf has a sunglass holder (without sunroof), though.
Another 2015 without a sunglasses holder... Need to do some research as to why this is?

Guy here said he added one...
vwgolf.net.au LINK

Another guy who said he's going to do it in spring with some links to a Russian site that have pics... LINK

Last edited:

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
Ha! I'm totally with you on this. I grew up in Edmonton. Been driving in winter conditions for 40+ years and the only thing the stupid "black ice" warning does is annoy the hell out of me. Much safer to turn on "driver awareness" every time you get behind the wheel. If you need an idiot light to tell you what the road conditions are, should you really be driving?
I'm tired of car manufacturers taking all the common sense and skill out of driving a car and turning it into a bland, personality-less appliance.
What I'd really like today is a brand new 20 year old car.
Luddite rant over.
I'm with you. I really enjoy driving rwd cars in the winter and if you can find a rwd car now, they have taken the fun out of those as well.
I find myself driving my son's 1994 940 Volvo more and more these days.

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
My SEL GSW has no sunglass holder overhead either. Kind of annoying to have the stupid help buttons I don't need in place of the sunglass holder we always used for tollbooth money.
Frank

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
5G0868837Y20 is for models with NO sunroof.

Has anyone here ordered one for the sunroof equipped model? I haven't searched for the right parts blow up. Maybe it exists out there??

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Push Button Start

Discovered that if you briefly push down on the start button when the car is off it puts the ignition in ACC mode and you can roll down the windows.
My friend with a 2013 gasser Beetle shared this with me after I was whinging at work about the downside of a pushbutton and wondering what could be done with VagCom.
This after I scoured the manual and it said I had to start the engine to enable the power windows.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe the difference is whether you hold the brake pedal down rather than how long you hold the button down.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
bizzle is right. Foot on the brake with the start button starts the car.
Foot off the brake with the start button puts in into ACC

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe the difference is whether you hold the brake pedal down rather than how long you hold the button down.
Good to know!
I'll try it both ways to check.
Still wonder why it's not in the manual...

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
It is in mine Keli. page 230 left side "Switching the ignition on and off"
I can see why you missed it.
Silly me. I was looking under Windows, operating.
I keep my manual in the glove box for light reading while waiting for my son to finish his piano lesson.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Not silly at all. I knew I'd read it in the manual but I had a really hard time finding it for you tonight. Nothing under ACC, nothing under starting, nothing under radio...........

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I only accidentally found it out when I was running through some VCDS stuff.

I grew up with sticks and it's muscle memory to place one foot on the brake and one on the clutch whenever I'm sitting in my car. I have to consciously remove my foot from the brake to put it into ACC and it's probably more often than not that I start it up and have to turn it off and try again :)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
bizzle is right. Foot on the brake with the start button starts the car.
Foot off the brake with the start button puts in into ACC
Thanks for the heads up. Useful to know. I had discovered the ACC on thing (brief button push) inadvertently, but did NOT know about the brake thing. It also starts if you just hold it longer.

These are the fine details of the incredible list of "functions" these cars have. The sales force is not up to speed on these things. Even if they were to "study up", the features are different from model to model, so they'd be guessing all the time depending on which car they are showing! Actually, I demonstrated the all windows up or down with remote function that I programmed in with VCDS to a salesman once. He walked away thinking it was a feature on all the 2015 GSWs in the lot.

Last edited:

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
My SEL GSW has no sunglass holder overhead either. Kind of annoying to have the stupid help buttons I don't need in place of the sunglass holder we always used for tollbooth money.
Frank
I put mine in the little storage compartment to the left of the steering column.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I put mine in the little storage compartment to the left of the steering column.
When I got my 2015 fixed GSW SE (pano, DSG), the salesman began telling me about the emergency satellite call button ("like On Star"). My immediate comment was, "My previous VWs have never stranded me, are they less reliable now?" He stumbled. I have never touched it. Requires paid subscription after 6 months or something as I recall...

Anyway, those three buttons may have wiring behind there that prevents installation of the overhead sunglasses storage. I'd prefer to pull that out and replace it with a sunglasses pocket.

Golfs do NOT have a pano roof. Maybe it is the pano roof light blind switches that take the place of the sunglasses pocket? The emergency satellite call button?