Removing Yellow Headlight

jettadude38751

My yellow headlight the small one that turns on when you turn the lights on and when you lock it. It went out. i was wondering how do you remove it so i can replace it.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Ha! That's the one I took to a dealer to replace. It took 3 guys, and an extremely long (12-14in)pair of needlenoses or actual medical forceps
and about 1/2 hr. to change!

I had a good time watching
! I asked to observe, because a stupid little bulb like that I should be able to change on my own, right?

We'll see about it when the next one goes.

The shop foreman only charged me $15. It was worth it! We all had a good laugh! (One of my only positive dealer experiences - although not my regular dealer. I might make the switch.)

Bean Eater

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Blue, auto
Good grief! If you are talking about the little 5w light bulbs that are located at the bottom of the high beam reflectors, I'm surprised it took professionals that much time and trouble to replace.

I replaced mine when I changed my main bulbs to Philips Vision Plus since they threw in the little "side light" bulbs for free as part of the package. Sure, it cost me some knuckle skin but didn't require removal of anything other than the covers on the back side of the headlight assemblies.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
The turn signal light?

I guess for the jetta they use a single cover per side....remove that (slip the metal clip towards the center of the car), remove teh cover, locate the bulb, twist and remove the connector, then twist the bulb out.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
You didn't say whether is was driver or passenger side. The Driver side has a cover requiring some screws to remove first. It's still a tight fit.

There are two snap-off covers on the back of the light. The smaller rectangular one covers the parking light (and fogs if you have them). The parking light holder/socket twists in and out.