Can I pump my own diesel in NJ?

njoverkill

If you don't get this question, don't bother answering
(WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO PUMP OUR OWN GASOLINE!!!) I heard that rules are different for diesel. TIA.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

Duh, I get it!

All kidding aside, I am of the opinion that you cannot, but I don't live or even go there, so I could be wrong.

I do know that you are not allowed to pump your own fuel in Oregon unless it is at a private keycard type operation. And it is my understanding that NJ may have patterned their law after Oregon's. Could be wrong here too.

Rots of Ruck.

xlr8

TDI
2002, silver
It varies all over the place. Around here some stations let us pump our own
, some don't. I tend to fill up at the stations where I can do it myself. There are also states like Oregon where it is illegal to have self serve
so you'll have to figure out what you have in your area and go for what works for you

njoverkill

Well self serve gasoline is illegal EVERYWHERE in the entire state of NJ, even with the automated credit card pumps. If you get out and start pumping it yourself, they get quite angry. I'll have to check on diesel, I guess!!!

(I REALLY do not like people pumping my gas for me. It involves nothing but idiots overfilling the tank, spilling gas everywhere and placing the gas cap, FACE DOWN on the roof of my car.)

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
diesel is not covered under that law, but they usually dont know that and will try and stop you. just tell them how it is, and they usually back down. if they dont, offer to hold off filling your car pending them calling the NJ state police... then they will really back down.

Stizo

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black
By the time the attendant gets around to you your tank will be full as they are so slow. I often pump my own fuel and I've rarely had anyone say anything to me. If the guy gets angry tell him to call the fuel police.

Viz

TDI
2001 & 2002 MKIV, 2015 MKVII
I don't know the statute number nor wording, but
it is legal to pump your own diesel in NJ. In fact, there are a number of fuel oil companies in the state that have 24 hour "self serve" diesel pumps operated by a "member" card that is swiped to unlock the pump and used for monthly billing. They can offer this service (mainly for truckers but lots of light truck and M-B and VW owners use this too) because the state statute prohibiting self serve gasoline pumping doesn't restrict diesel fuel.

I've been pumping my own diesel at NJ gas stations for over 20 years. I merely tell them if I don't pump it, I'm not buying. I've never had a problem. Most of the time I only need to use an in town pump given the range all of my diesels have.
Viz

fishbone

TDI
jetta 02 black
SHHHHHHHHH We haven t got that law in California Yet! Please don t give them anymore ideas. They
control enough on diesel already.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I normally let the attendant start it, and if I want to vent, I'll do it myself.

the Race Trac in Hackettstown has the best price $1.25 (might not be worth the hike though)

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Viz is correct. Only gasoline is subject to "full service" requirements. Diesel can be self service. I'm a member of the Diesel Club at Region Oil on Route 15 in Dover. They have Coastal Next Generation Diesel which is specified with a cetane index of 47. Prior to joining this Club I was able to pump my own diesel at several service stations.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Quote by njoverkill:
(I REALLY do not like people pumping my gas for me. It involves nothing but idiots overfilling the tank, spilling gas everywhere and placing the gas cap, FACE DOWN on the roof of my car.)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I work at a gas station downtown Montreal which is full serve. Your observation about people working in a gas station is generalized and incorrect.

I've been doing it for 4 years and I can tell you that I rarely overfill or spill.

I am the one who show "newbies" with TDI's how to vent and whole lot more.

Besides, I am finishing a technical degree in Mechanical engineering, so I don't think I'm a complete idiot either.

I didn't know that there were laws against self-serve; even more surprised that nobody went to court to make that change.

Here in Canada, it depends on the gas station; some are self-serve, others full serve and some have both.

Last but least, I'm not the kind of guy to get angry if somebody ask me to pump his (rarely her) own gas. Most of the time I'm real busy and if it can save a little time, why not?

People with TDI ask rarely though, they don't like to get dirty.

Finally to answer your question
njoverkill, you can go to the Flying J, which is located at: NJ, Carney's Point I-295 Exit 2C.

All Flying J are self-serve.

Happy fillings.

Rammstein.

TurnpikeMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Indigo Blue
Originally posted by Rammstein:

njoverkill, you can go to the Flying J, which is located at: NJ, Carney's Point I-295 Exit 2C.

Happy fillings.

Rammstein.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry to say in the USA, New Jersey and Oregon have laws that you cannot pump your own GAS. We are not sure if you can pump your own diesel though!!
I usually let them start but i finish!! Happy medium!

njoverkill

Quote by njoverkill:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> (I REALLY do not like people pumping my gas for me. It involves nothing but idiots overfilling the tank, spilling gas everywhere and placing the gas cap, FACE DOWN on the roof of my car.)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I work at a gas station downtown Montreal which is full serve. Your observation about people working in a gas station is generalized and incorrect.

I've been doing it for 4 years and I can tell you that I rarely overfill or spill.

I am the one who show "newbies" with TDI's how to vent and whole lot more.

Besides, I am finishing a technical degree in Mechanical engineering, so I don't think I'm a complete idiot either.

I didn't know that there were laws against self-serve; even more surprised that nobody went to court to make that change.

Here in Canada, it depends on the gas station; some are self-serve, others full serve and some have both.

Last but least, I'm not the kind of guy to get angry if somebody ask me to pump his (rarely her) own gas. Most of the time I'm real busy and if it can save a little time, why not?

People with TDI ask rarely though, they don't like to get dirty.

Happy fillings.

Rammstein.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I make this generalization because it is true. Nearly every filler that I come across in NJ is careless. And I say, in NJ, because I pump my own gas everywhere else I go. It just so happens that right now, I drive a piece of crap car, so I don't care. They pull the filler out of the tank carelessly and let fuel spill wherever, on the ground and often times on the side of your car. If the gas cap has a cord on it, they will just let the cap hang down and more often times than not, the gas side of the cap will touch the paint, which can very easily take paint off. Then there the idiots who will just put the gas cap on the roof of your car? OK, that is just retarded. Usually unless you drive up in a $50,000 BMW, they don't care. Even then, they might not care because they have no incentive to give a crap. You have to yell at them DON'T TOP IT OFF otherwise they will round up $21.01 to $22. I would say I'd pump my own gas, but it is ILLEGAL in NJ and you get yelled at. Anyway, this is why I am excited to be able to pump my own diesel.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
You are, indeed, very exited njoverkill.

People like you make me hate my part-time job.

Do you know that topping it off of a few cents doesn't hurt?

Of course I don't do it in the summer, but in winter who gives a damn?

You'll use this gas anyway, right?

Next time you fill up your piece of crap, start by saying "hi" to the attendant, instead of "fill it up"; be a sympathetic customer and not a son a *****, you'll get better service.

Happy fillings.

Rammstein.

njoverkill

Well I'm not trying to start a fight because different people like different things. This is why I say if you want something done right (or maybe in this situation, the way you like it), do it yourself. Anyway, I am always very curteous to anyone who is serving me, gas attendants included (by nature... I think please and thank you are always appropriate) but I still run into problems. Anyway, just ranting. I will be able to pump my own fuel soon when I get the TDI and again when I move out of NJ hopefully I'll never have this issue again!

Lotfw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1995.5 Canyon red
Hess station on route 22 in Phillipsburg
about 1 mile from PA REQUIRES you to pump your own diesel. The D pumps are around the back of the station and a sign hangs on them telling you to pump it yourself.

I do get the feeling at some stations that attendants expect me to pump it myself when it is diesel.

calvol

What is the rationale behind these laws against self-service gas stations in Ore and NJ anyway? Damm if I ever fill up in Ore! That's ludicrous.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Originally posted by fishbone:
SHHHHHHHHH We haven t got that law in California Yet! Please don t give them anymore ideas. They
control enough on diesel already.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How's this for control: I went to fill up a CNG powered (state) car in NYC and the guy wouldn't turn on the "pump" until I produced a card certifying that I had passed a NYC FD safety course for the safe refuling of CNG vehicles, which I didn't have/never heard of. He refused to fill it for me so I ended up cooling my jets while I waited for a "certified" person to come along and rescue me, at least she was gracious about it and cute to top it off. BTW the range on those CNG cars really sucks.

njoverkill

Hey no problem! I was just rambling. I have have too much time on my hands at work, clearly

The only thing I really wanted to know is if I can pump diesel in NJ, and I think from what I've read the answer is 99% yes!! Can't wait for the TDI!

Stizo

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Black
hey njoverkill, you find any deals on your car yet? I went to three dealerships in 2.5 hours and settled on a black '03 Jetta GL TDI 5speed for $17,800 + tax from Reydel in Edison. My rule was no more than 20 min in a dealership and no BS. If they couldn't do my price I left. The best deals are done in the parking lot. Sure I could have got a better deal but I hate shopping and haggling.

If you are interested, I'll give you the name of the salesman. A real straight shooter, no BS, no hidden fees like the other guys that day.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Originally posted by calvol:
What is the rationale behind these laws against self-service gas stations in Ore and NJ anyway? Damm if I ever fill up in Ore! That's ludicrous.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In Oregon it's a fire safety law (don't ask me).

BTW it IS legal to pump your own diesel in Oregon, contrary to what Mr. WVWSP61 said.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Originally posted by calvol:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ludicrous? Why?

I don't know the original rationale, but I suspect that it has something to do with the explosive nature of gasoline. Diesel not being explosive, can be self pumped. (at least, that's my limited understanding of the situation).

That being said, why would I want to pay more for the "privelege" of pumping my own fuel when it's cheaper to let them pump it for me?. For as long as I can remember, the states that border NJ tpyically charge 5-10 cents/gallon more for unleaded at the self serve pump than I pay at the full serve pump in NJ.

Every now and again, some idiot legislator starts suggesting that NJ go to self-service gas stations. This typically coincides with a spike in prices. They say loudly that self-serve will save us 5-10 cents per gallon. Sure it will -- because they'll hike the full-servce price until it's 5-10 cents higher than the self-serve price, which would be higher than the original pre-self-serve price.

I really don't understand why so many people get so bent out of shape about NJ and OR not legally allowing self service gasoline. You'd think they were being asked to give up their rights to free speech or something.

Granted, some attendants are hard to deal with. I even had some idiot once fill my Jeep up with "super" when I asked for "regular", then had the gall to tell me I was wrong when I pointed out his mistake. I simply never went back to his station. The place I go for my diesel fuel is pretty good - they understand the "to the first click" expression, and they're pretty neat with the nozzle.

I happen to like not being forced to pump my own fuel - that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

Rob

P.S. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, just got tired of hearing NJ and OR likened to being some sort of evil entity just because they won't let you pump your own gasoline. (Granted there's plenty of other reasons to hate NJ, but they're not relevant to this discussion)

brian

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI (sold)
Your NJ fuel prices are cheaper because your fuel taxes are cheaper, NOT because you have to wait for somebody to pump it for you.

njoverkill

If you live in the NJ/NY area, you will notice that NJ FULL SERVE prices are considerably cheaper than NY SELF SERVE prices! The law was passed to allegedly create jobs, I believe.

Lotfw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1995.5 Canyon red
Funny story from last night.

As I said in my last post I got the feeling some attendants wanted me to pump my own diesel. This station near my house is usually a bit higher price then I normally pay so I go elsewhere but when I first went to this station the attendant told me to pump my own. Not wanting to break the law I assumed applied to diesel and because of price I usually went to other pumps. Recently I wanted to get some real numbers on MPG and I like the range I get when venting so I visited this station.

The D pumps are a good 60-100 feet from the gas pumps. I pull up to the pump, look for my diesel glove
, pull the nozzle out, lift the lever and wait for the pump to zero out. While standing there the attendant screams over at me "Just fill it!"

Probably gets too many NJ drivers waiting to get filled!

KdF Man

TDI
kdfman
Originally posted by Rob Mayercik:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by calvol:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ludicrous? Why?

I don't know the original rationale, but I suspect that it has something to do with the explosive nature of gasoline. Diesel not being explosive, can be self pumped. (at least, that's my limited understanding of the situation).
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">NOT, it's all about providing meaningless employment to the minimum wage, down't want to work anyway jobs to the careless idiots of the world. it's a public relations, political stunt and that's all there is to it.

Personally, I will never retern to the state of Oregon for this reason. Went there in my '67 Westy once. Anyone with an older VW knows that the filler neck is big enogh to drop a baseball down the thing, and the tanks are un-vented. Those pumps with the fruit "vapor recovery" socks on them DO NOT stay on the filler. You have to hold them the whole time, and hold the sock up off the tank as well to activate the pump. And what to the idiot pump jockeys do? They set the handle and LET GO of the pump and stand there. The next thing that happens is that the pump handle goes flying off, spraying gasoline all over the place, my bus, the pump guy, etc. Plus if they are not "topped up" properly, I end up with about 8 gal in my 10.5 gal tank.

Same goes for motorcycles... they drip the gas all over the damned place, and the "protector" in the tank filler means they only get abotu 1 gal in the 5 gal tank before the pump shuts it off. Again, they have to stand there and hold the sock, and the pump handle just so, which they illiterate cretin can't do without getting gas all over my bike.

Brian

KdF Man

TDI
kdfman
Quote by njoverkill:
(I REALLY do not like people

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nothing against you personally mate, but as my father was fond of pointing out, just 'cause someone has a big fancy college degree doesn't mean they ain't still an idiot. just an "educated idiot" as he'd call it.

Experienced it personally myself... I once worked at a shop which refurbished/upgraded 1-Hour photo lab equipment. One day they hired some "educated Idiot" fresh out of engineering school with a BA in Electronic Engineering or some crap like that. I was charged with the task of teaching him how to build the machines which analize the negatives and properly expose the photo-paper. He did NOT know the difference between a phillips head screwdriver and a thread tap, I had to teach him how to use a drill, use the screwdrivers, apply heat-shrink tubing, etc. But hoo-boy, he knew Ohm's Law though! (even though that had NO practical application whatsoever in our shop). Dumb **** probably made more than me too! I had to hold his hand the entire time he was there, which negatively impacted my own production but thankfully he was laid off a couple weeks later.

Brian

njoverkill

Same goes for motorcycles... they drip the gas all over the damned place, and the "protector" in the tank filler means they only get abotu 1 gal in the 5 gal tank before the pump shuts it off. Again, they have to stand there and hold the sock, and the pump handle just so, which they illiterate cretin can't do without getting gas all over my bike.
Brian
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Luckily, even in New Jersey, they let EVERYBODY pump their own bike gas. Unfortunately, I don't have a bike anymore.