Omaha, NE chat thread

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
HuskerTDI said:
Mr Erlo, vwcampin, and DeafBug (maybe?), and whomever else, it took me a while to coordinate things since I work out of town (NY actually) but it seems like it's comming together.
sorry i won't be able to make it this weekend, i'm headed to Des Moines. my friend Nick has a VagCom, and i'm sure he'd be willing to lend it to you. in fact, we might both be able to stop by on Sunday and have a look at the finished product, and to run some diagnostics. would that work for you?

DeafBug,
i still need an IP swap and a TB job, and my twin brother MrScottdi needs a TB as well. we don't have a garage as of now, but i'm in the process of looking. i'll let you know as soon as we've got something. i think that weekend of Feb 28th should work for me, i'll check my calendar at work tomorrow and let you know.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
10mm IP and TB Kit are on their way

i just ordered my parts, so now i need someone to install them....

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
i'm looking at ordering two more things

http://www.metalnerd.com/cat10.htm

Part HZ456000 - Diesel Fuel Line Wrench - 17 mm
Part MN1818 - TDI Injector Slide Hammer Puller

i figure they'd both just be good to have around, seems like someone in Omaha should own them. if anyone already does, let me know. in that case i would like to borrow them when i help my brother swap in a set of Sprints this spring.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Eric,
Have you talked to DeafBug or Losha about install? Maybe Husker or TDIEddie can offer up a space if you have enough lead time. Just a thought.....

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
vwcampin said:
Eric,
Have you talked to DeafBug or Losha about install? Maybe Husker or TDIEddie can offer up a space if you have enough lead time. Just a thought.....
I have the space and Brad knows how to get here for sure, I'm just not 100% sure when I'll be around and for how long. I'll check with my wife and see when her next trip to Iowa is. That's when I stay put :D

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
Need more help finding Cabin Filter

I looked under the glove box and saw two pushpins. Kind of flimsy. It looks like they would be damaged when removing a panel. Do you get new pushpins with filter? Or, what do you remove to get to the filter?

HKS

Losha said:
Yes, it does have. I'm not sure where exactly its located in Jetta, but in passat its under glove box inside of HVAC housing were blower is.

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
Dealer Inspection

I am taking the car to the dealer for a 60 day new car inspection this Friday, who by the way said "Yes it has a cabin air filter". We shall see. I asked the mechanic to look at it.

HKS

HKS said:
I looked under the glove box and saw two pushpins. Kind of flimsy. It looks like they would be damaged when removing a panel. Do you get new pushpins with filter? Or, what do you remove to get to the filter?

HKS

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
Pollen Filter update

Went in for my 90 day inspection. No one knew for sure about the cabin filter. The mechanic removed some screws and found a cabin filter. They said so. I did not see him remove it. Anyway, the underside of the glove box area does not look like any picures posted on this site. I will try to find the screws that were removed and the take a picture to post here.

HKS

HKS said:
VWCAMPIN,
Thanks for helping, but that does not look like my 2009 Jetta under the glove box.

I hope there is a retrofit pollen filter option available if it is not there.

HKS

jessep28

TDI
None
I'm from the Omaha area and am considering buying a Jetta TDI. It would be my first diesel. I'm still not convinced enough yet to go check one out.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
jessep28 said:
I'm from the Omaha area and am considering buying a Jetta TDI. It would be my first diesel. I'm still not convinced enough yet to go check one out.
Are you looking at new or used? Do you have a long commute or travel a lot? Do you/can you do basic work on your car? Those are just a few things to consider before looking to buy one. There are certainly enough of us here in Omaha if you wanted to check one out.

jessep28

TDI
None
vwcampin said:
Are you looking at new or used? Do you have a long commute or travel a lot? Do you/can you do basic work on your car? Those are just a few things to consider before looking to buy one. There are certainly enough of us here in Omaha if you wanted to check one out.
I would buy new since the 2009 models qualify for the lean burn energy credit and being a new vehicle also qualify for an above the line sales tax deduction.

My commute is about 12mi each way. I am capable of doing basic work on a car but I tend to make things more complicated than they need to be.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
jessep28 said:
I am capable of doing basic work on a car but I tend to make things more complicated than they need to be.
none of the old-hand Omaha area members have a 2009 yet, but HKS will have some experience if you decide to buy one. the rest of use would be glad to help out, and glad to learn more about the 2009's for ourselves.

welcome to the club, and i hope you make the wise decision to purchase a TDI.

2td

TDI
Jettas 2 rabbits4 plus tractors 360 subaru parts van
I'd be carefull about Performance. I bought a pair of 06s, one lost the trani 3 k over warrantee. Had it towed from Iowa to there. Had to find my own ride back..Had it out with them.. Towed it to Olsen where they gave me a new passat for 3 weeks. Allowed me to pay VOA shop rate.. and they paid for the trani.. Instead of $2850 I paid $380.. When its $80 just to drive into the place, and $280 for their clear coat wax job, some "things" are obvious..

jessep28

TDI
None
My main issue is the fact that I'm not familiar with VW's or German cars for that matter. I'm an accountant and by nature we are creatures of habit. I'm half tempted to buy domestic anyway since the incentives are far better than what the foreign auto makers are offering.

Out of the Omaha area dealers, who's generally better to deal with: Performance or Stan Olsen?

Last edited:

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
jessep28 said:
My main issue is the fact that I'm not familiar with VW's or German cars for that matter. I'm an accountant and by nature we are creatures of habit. I'm half tempted to buy domestic anyway since the incentives are far better than what the foreign auto makers are offering.

Out of the Omaha area dealers, who's generally better to deal with: Performance or Stan Olsen?
Most of us will generally avoid the dealer at all costs. VW service overall is pretty poor, especially if you go in uneducated. I am surprised that 2td had a better experience with Olsen than Performance. From what I have always heard, Performance's service is much better than Olsen.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
jessep28 said:
I should have clarified. My question was who's better on the purchasing side, not service.
Probably a crap shoot, as a lot of the sales guys switch dealerships like we change clothes. I know the guy I bought my Jetta from at Performance was, last I knew working at Olsen. Too bad you weren't asking this last year, as one of my best friends was working sales at Olsen. Aside from him, most car sales folks creep me out anyway;) If you are seriously interested, your best bet would probably be to play the two dealerships against each other to try and get the best price. Of course if you wanted a no hassle sale at a great price, your best bet is to catch a flight to Philly and buy from Chris (member 3193 I Believe on this site)

jessep28

TDI
None
Very true. I have a sister who lives 4 hours away in Groton, CT, so maybe I could swing out to Philly, go see her for a few days then drive back. Problem is that if the vehicle turns out to be a Lemon, I imagine it would be difficult to work with the Omaha dealers.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Although VWoA doesn't have a great track record in regards to warranty stuff, there are plenty of people who buy from out of town or move and have to use a dealership where they didn't purchase their car from.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
jessep28 said:
Very true. I have a sister who lives 4 hours away in Groton, CT, so maybe I could swing out to Philly, go see her for a few days then drive back. Problem is that if the vehicle turns out to be a Lemon, I imagine it would be difficult to work with the Omaha dealers.
I'd give chris a call.

I bought two cars on the east coast and have had warranty service / oil changes at 7 out of state dealers. Never had a problem there or getting my car serviced in omaha. Now, a few problems were fixed out of state because omaha wouldn't take me seriously (B5 balance shaft, power steering leak, etc).

I'd give chris a call. He'll find what you want and get you nebraska plates for the drive home. If I ever buy another vw, I'll be giving chris a call.

jessep28

TDI
None
The downside is a 1900mi drive home but you are saving several thousand in the process and giving a good salesman some business.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
jessep28 said:
The downside is a 1900mi drive home but you are saving several thousand in the process and giving a good salesman some business.
Just had a buddy pickup an 09 TDI from Chris. I turned him on to Chris and his dealership and everything worked out great.

TOP NOTCH even if it's 2k miles away. My buddy opted to have the car shipped to us, but if I had the time, we would have flown out to get it. Seat time in a TDI Jetta is always enjoyable for me. :)

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
Jetta Purchase

I just came back from a 3110 mile trip to california and back. The Jetta is a regular mountain goat. Lots of power going uphill and minimal use of brakes going downhill. The seats were very suportive for long trips. We usually go 800 miles the first day. Lincoln to Grand Junction,CO.

My mileage was right at 40mpg. It should have been better but I drove in the rain in Nebraska going out and returned to Nebraska bucking a wind. I also creeped up I70 in Colorado on ice for about an hour. A semi could not make it up the hill. I did just fine on the ice. Did not need 4WD. We always drove the speed limit and sometimes faster. I always get the lousiest mileage in Nebraska when I make these 3000 mile trips.

Diesel prices were highest in California 2.29. Got diesel in Grand Junction for 2.19.

Automatic DSG Transmision. $178 for a 3110 mile trip. That is less than 6 cents per mile.

HKS

P.S. I have a Chrysler 330c Hemmi and I believe the Jetta worked just as well in the mountains going uphill. 236 LB of torque is nothing to sneeze at.

MrErlo said:
none of the old-hand Omaha area members have a 2009 yet, but HKS will have some experience if you decide to buy one. the rest of use would be glad to help out, and glad to learn more about the 2009's for ourselves.

welcome to the club, and i hope you make the wise decision to purchase a TDI.

Last edited:

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
Well this thread seems to be dying a bit... I just got back from a 2986 mile Yellowstone trip with the Jetta wagon... worked out real well got ~36 mpg for the whole trip, but we were loaded to the MAX! packed wagon area, rocket box on top and a 4 bikes on the hitch... bouncing off the bump stops in the rear the whole trip... freeking awesome!!!! I'd do it again in a heart beat.

got home called up Bleached Bora... got me Bilstine HD all around, new bearings all around and new brakes and rotors all around! Just finished the install last night!

Its been a good summer so far!

Dan

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Just wanted to let you guys know if you need to do a DSG tranny service, I can assist. Last night did oil change, fuel filter, DSG service and a few weeks ago did rear brakes. :)

I love saving money and my sanity doing my own service.

All parts (*except the home made DSG service tool) were sourced through BleachBora. Great guys to work with and has good deals and gives advice freely.

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
Better MPG Now

I have 6500 miles on the Jetta now. I made a trip to a funeral about 70 miles away and got 51 Mpg driving 60Mph and less.
On the way back I only made 47.5 Mpg because it included the funeral procession and town driving.
Return trip should have been a little downhill and MPG highway only would have been much better.

Looking forward to the 10,000 mile oil change.
HKS

HKS said:
I just came back from a 3110 mile trip to california and back. The Jetta is a regular mountain goat. Lots of power going uphill and minimal use of brakes going downhill. The seats were very suportive for long trips. We usually go 800 miles the first day. Lincoln to Grand Junction,CO.

My mileage was right at 40mpg. It should have been better but I drove in the rain in Nebraska going out and returned to Nebraska bucking a wind. I also creeped up I70 in Colorado on ice for about an hour. A semi could not make it up the hill. I did just fine on the ice. Did not need 4WD. We always drove the speed limit and sometimes faster. I always get the lousiest mileage in Nebraska when I make these 3000 mile trips.

Diesel prices were highest in California 2.29. Got diesel in Grand Junction for 2.19.

Automatic DSG Transmision. $178 for a 3110 mile trip. That is less than 6 cents per mile.

HKS

P.S. I have a Chrysler 330c Hemmi and I believe the Jetta worked just as well in the mountains going uphill. 236 LB of torque is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
Daniel-O said:
Well this thread seems to be dying a bit... I just got back from a 2986 mile Yellowstone trip with the Jetta wagon... worked out real well got ~36 mpg for the whole trip, but we were loaded to the MAX! packed wagon area, rocket box on top and a 4 bikes on the hitch... bouncing off the bump stops in the rear the whole trip... freeking awesome!!!! I'd do it again in a heart beat.

got home called up Bleached Bora... got me Bilstine HD all around, new bearings all around and new brakes and rotors all around! Just finished the install last night!

Its been a good summer so far!

Dan
Dan glad to hear your doing well. I just did rear brakes last week. Temp sensor this evening. All codes were cleared and it seems to be running great. I'm at 142k now and it won't be long and we will need Brad back in the area! :cool: