TDI Used Oil Lab Analyses Results & Discussions

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
We'll see..

Hi Todd. Personally, I hope to get rid of this car before the warranty expires. If it grenades, we'll have to deal with it at that time. We can hope for a really good trade-in incentive due to the current scandal, but time will tell how that plays out.

I am fortunate to have a very competent dealer, which I've had since 1988. One of the major selling points to stay with VW for us!

H.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
A solid report with a TBN of 7.0 on Rotella. Looks like the nickel is reduced also. I might take their recommendation and run it to 12k. I noticed the magnesium number is up....anything to be concerned about?

Last edited:

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
1st Analysis - 30k miles

88% of the driving in the last 90 days (3,334 miles) has been city driving with the engine completely warmed up in every driving cycle. Would this make a difference in the aluminum and/or potassium or, is this just a new engine anomaly and nothing to worry about or none of the above? Comments are greatly appreciated.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.p...=2014-sportwagen-tdi-30k-oil-analysis&cat=517

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Look good. We getting tbn of 7 after 20K on Amsoil HDD3000 with B50 biod on 2014 jsw. That still look nice!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Could you post one of those HDD 300 UOA?
Keep in mind, we can't use the HDD 3000 in our DPF clad rides AND (*per VOA) it also starts off with almost double the TBN as the LL03. I'm sooooooo happy to be rid of the DPF and on to my favorite oil (I'm a Delvac kinda guy) but it's sad to see how the "certified" 507 oils are done after 10k. I mean, seriously... 10k!!
*If I hadn't of bought 10gal of Delvac ESP for the price of 2gal my interest would be peaked more than it already is for the Amsoil. :D
Look good. We getting tbn of 7 after 20K on Amsoil HDD3000 with B50 biod on 2014 jsw. That still look nice!
Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I think the car has 20k on it, not the oil. I'd hate to see a 20k UOA on LL03. :eek:

Last edited:

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Wow 20K on an oil change!

I had a 7.0 TBN on Rotella after 10k....I wonder if I could go close to 20k on my 89k ALH?

BlackStone said I could take it to 12k.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Wow 20K on an oil change!

I had a 7.0 TBN on Rotella after 10k....I wonder if I could go close to 20k on my 89k ALH?

BlackStone said I could take it to 12k.
He didn't got 20k on an oil change, he went 9,892 miles...

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I got a TBN of 6.4 after 17,736 miles on Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 in an ALH engine with 176k miles total. I will try 20k on this oil next time, as recommended by the lab. I do not know why the viscosity was a bit high, I did not top off with any thicker oil, and the previous oil change had been with the same oil. Looking at others results, it appears that this is common in TDIs for some reason. Perhaps the non-watercooled Turbo heats the oil a lot?

Link to high-res Blackstone analysis image (PNG): https://i.imgur.com/frObPNa.png

Last edited:

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
2015 Golf TDI @ 29596km (18390 miles)
Reference to low oil level was due to dealer underfill at the first service... Corrected 2k km later w/ 0.5L oil. Looks good so far!

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
No, I'm not using 5w40. Anyone else using Amsoil Euro 5w30? Is it just a little on the thick side?

The aluminum concerns me a little, but I've been told that's normal on common rails without an EGR delete. Living in CA, there's no EGR delete in my future.

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
Could someone comment on my UOA? The oil is Castrol Edge 5W30 LL03, has been in the car for one year and has 6,200 miles on it. At first glance it seems iron is high, as well as Potassium when comparing to the averages that Blackstone uses. This UOA is done at a place close to me, not Blackstone. Total mileage is about 35,000.

Last edited:

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
1st Analysis - 30k miles

What do you think for a first timer? How does it look?

I'm up to 38,000 miles now but this was done back in October. I appreciate the feedback.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
How to explain the aluminum readings?

Here is my second analysis on my 2004 Passat. Unfortunately there is the unexpected result of the relatively high aluminum measurement. When I first put this oil in June 2015 I also added approximately seven ounces of Liqui Moly MoS2 (Molybdenum based). Based on previous VOA Mobil Delvac 1 does not contain any moly (reference Bob is the Oil Guy site).

Some background on my drive dynamics: my daily commute is a less than six mile drive to work, all city with speed limits up to 45 MPH. My Passat has a manual transmission (five speed) so whenever I can I drive in fifth gear to maximize efficiency. When I drive the car in the highway (family road trips) and when the opportunity presents while the engine is warmed up I do the 'Italian tune up' and I frequently redline the engine in this process (at least once a week or more if I can). I can say that in the last year or so I have made an effort to drive the car harder (redline it) on a more or less regular basis to avoid any carbon/soot build up and making sure that the turbo vanes are working well. Could this explain the higher aluminum numbers?

Another data point which might be or not pertinent to the aluminum number. In the last three months I started to develop a boost leak which now I am in the process of fixing (90 degree hose connecting the upper intercooler to the EGR).

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this UOA.

Last edited:

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
Another for the EA288 pile, 45k service time. Seems like the extra regens from the short winter driving took a toll on the TBN compared to my previous summer/fall changes.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
15,000 mile oil change, damn, :eek:

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
I wish :eek: Blackstone put the wrong units; it should be in km not miles. I'm currently following the maintenance schedule to the letter. We'll see about extended runs after the warranty is up. :cool:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
^Damn, that's an impressive UOA (especially for a common rail). I guess I can push my oci out to 15k miles without feeling paranoid now. I'm curious what other oils you were using. The one with a lot of moly didn't seem to protect as well as the other/s.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
^Damn, that's an impressive UOA (especially for a common rail). I guess I can push my oci out to 15k miles without feeling paranoid now. I'm curious what other oils you were using. The one with a lot of moly didn't seem to protect as well as the other/s.
Had to go back and look but the 111,498 was LL03, 121,817 was Mobil 1 ESP then my car lost a few parts around the 170k mark and I QUICKLY went back the Mobil 1 Delvac ESP. The 184,796 was the first run with Delvac in my CRD and I had run it in my 06 TDI so already knew how good it was. (*I actually had a 18k run on it in my 06 TDI)

I was rather disgusted with how the LL03 and other 507 oils fall off, steeply, after the 10k mark so was very happy to be able to stop using that stuff. All CJ4 oils are not created equal and while the Delvac may be a touch more expensive (unless you catch not one, but two buy 1 get 4 free deals thanks to Pep Boys and Mobil) and sometimes challenging to find than most, it really is at the top of the pile. :D

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Had to go back and look but the 111,498 was LL03, 121,817 was Mobil 1 ESP then my car lost a few parts around the 170k mark and I QUICKLY went back the Mobil 1 Delvac ESP. The 184,796 was the first run with Delvac in my CRD and I had run it in my 06 TDI so already knew how good it was. (*I actually had a 18k run on it in my 06 TDI)

I was rather disgusted with how the LL03 and other 507 oils fall off, steeply, after the 10k mark so was very happy to be able to stop using that stuff. All CJ4 oils are not created equal and while the Delvac may be a touch more expensive (unless you catch not one, but two buy 1 get 4 free deals thanks to Pep Boys and Mobil) and sometimes challenging to find than most, it really is at the top of the pile. :D

Nice. I agree that the Delvac 1 is about as good as it gets for tdi's. I'll probably switch over from Rotella T6 and Delo LE the next time they run a deal on 5 gals. of the D1.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Just got back the first run on Mobil1 TDT 5w/40 in my '15 EA288 with stage 2 "eco" tune. Very impressed, almost eerily low numbers! Going to wait till after warranty to extend change intervals.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Now you need to compare that to the correct VW 507.00 oil specified by the factory. One point doesn't make a line. Unless you have already removed it you may be destroying your DPF. Of course the oil analysis can't tell you that.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Correct, I forgot to test my last drain at 30k to be able to compare, though there are a few out there to compare with. The switch was mostly to spend less on oil and it's what I use in my '01 Jetta. The "eco" tune means there's an aftermarket downpipe installed and I have no ash problems to worry about.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dustingebhardt

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI (sold)
Looks fine to me. I'd stick with the 10k intervals for another 20k or 30k miles. My metals would jump up a lot when I went to 12k intervals with the engine under 75k miles on it.