View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2018, 14:33   #3473
DerekG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Towing:26-32.6 City:34-38 Hwy:45-54.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
Research shows that boron is an anti-oxidant as well as a anti-wear.
https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/ge...FULLTEXT01.pdf
go to internet page 48 plus
some very interesting tables on ZDDP and Boron concentrations.
That's pretty cool.

"There are two possible reasons for the efficient antiwear performance of the boron compounds as compared with ZnDTP. First, these boron compounds contain only two sulphur atoms while ZnDTP contains four sulphur atoms in the molecule.

The excess of sulphur in additive or base oil may cause chemical corrosion of steel surfaces. Second, boron compounds contain the alkyl borate group in the molecule that enhances the antiwear ability of these additives and inhibits corrosive actions of sulphur even at higher concentrations of these additives in
the base oil."

So I checked my records and it looks like ~4000 miles of that OCI was with a fully loaded car and roof box, ~1000 miles of towing my ~1700# Scamp and the rest was just a normal mix of city and highway unloaded.

Also, related to the post post I quoted of your's about the M1. I did the emissions delete at 30k miles, so the ~9k mile run on the Mobil 1 was the first full OCI of the car completely deleted. I think I'm going to try M1 again next time and see how it compares.

Last edited by DerekG; April 18th, 2018 at 14:37.
DerekG is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07079 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.73 Kb. compressed to 15.00 Kb. by saving 1.73 Kb. (10.35%)]