My 91 GTI 8 valve to B4 1Z TDI swap

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Is that your home? I love the lift :)

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
it is work but more like home...I am here all the time...I have multiple lifts to use on the weekends and at night, completely equipped 30 year old shop..We work on just about every brand of european car..I just prefer the "big kid Legos" aspect of older VW's

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
next is some paint to freshen up this bay, also might cut the hole for the 1Z harness to pass through the rain tray near the air plenum..anyone have a better idea?

bozwell

Veteran Member
TDI
diesel hoverboard
just curious, what are you doin for an instrument cluster? i have a mk3 jetta cluster in my 90 golf tdi swap but come spring the car is gettin stripped and the tdi is goin into a b3 passat wagon i just picked up. if you have the passat tdi cluster id be willing to trade with you.

GTiTDi

TDI
I traded my stock B4 cluster with a guy in AK for a A3 TDI cluster that's Canadian (Km/h readout)..I am undecided if I want to use the A3 cluster or the stock A2 cluster..it has the MFA setup so it would be easy to give my ECU a VSS signal, but there won't be a tach until I get a converter and it will still have the incorrect rev range. I guess I should have waited! I am not sure about using a metric cluster, although some of my local dub buddies have said it would be cool. I was just in Germany for Oktoberfest and was getting used to the metric cluster in the Focus TDCI kombi that I rented..not bad for a 1.6...I am just not sure of the legality of the Canadian cluster, or if it will end up being inconvenient

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
My first TDI was an AHU in a mk2 Jetta. Very nice to drive since it weight about nothing. I'm tempted at doing a similar project that you're doing but, it would be an ALH all the way, so much more potential...

GTiTDi

TDI
My first TDI was an AHU in a mk2 Jetta. Very nice to drive since it weight about nothing. I'm tempted at doing a similar project that you're doing but, it would be an ALH all the way, so much more potential...
ya but isn't that potential obtainable with the 1Z block? I'm all set...I have seen what Quantum rallysport is up to and it looks nice but I am not trying to re-engineer my engine mounts.. I would rather convert to VNT and larger nozzles..:)

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
So my project has been moving along smoothly now, have had plenty of time to devote to it..which has been mostly body restoration, cleaning, more cleaning, and painting..Just as I suspected my 3VW Puebla built GTI was built with indifference, every where I scrape back seam sealer I find surface rust..nothing terrible so far but I have been doing a lot of rust converting and had to weld a small patch in the LF fender well, and when I removed the fender I found more surface rust..glad I did now and not after it got worse..I am also cleaning and painting the shifter well before I drill and bolt in the cable shift box. I want this engine bay to gleam before I put the engine/transaxle in..

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab
GTiTDi,

Nice shop and nice project! Enjoy having the time to spend (and the health, as my back's been out for a week and is just now healing). Yeah, cleaning everything to death just makes sense. Anything you have to re-do is that much easier down the road. It's time consuming but worthwhile.

Good luck with this swap. That B4 harness pic scares the crap out of me. :eek:

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
GTiTDi said:
ya but isn't that potential obtainable with the 1Z block?
GTiTDi said:
I would rather convert to VNT and larger nozzles..:)

I've had several AHUs and 1Z engine and they ended up all being nozzled/chipped and I was far away from having the same fun with my wife's ALH nozzled/chipped. I prefer a VNT15 before the tiny K03 and same goes for the injnection pump. If your going to convert to VNT and use a larger injection pump, you can have everything at once.

GTiTDi

TDI
progress

I have been cleaning and prepping the engine bay and engine whenever I get a free moment. Finally have two coats of paint on the bay, now I can start putting stuff back on instead of taking it all off! Redoing the sloppy Peubla factory work is key on any early 90's VW. If the V.I.N. starts with 3, your car is hecho en Mexico.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
This paint might look good here but the place I got the paint messed up the color. The bay came out a bit yellow in tint compared to the proper Alpine white.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Mk3 2.0 sub (k) frame in the back, B4 tdi front subframe combined with mk2 radiator support in the fore ground.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
took the stock downpipe off so I can fab up a better flowing one without the 5th injector bung..in the process I broke a stud which I ended up having to drill out..such a nice little turbo!

Great turbo if you aren't planning on getting into the boost for sustained periods..will melt pistons if you use upgraded injectors and a lot of boost at sustained high speeds...this is more suitable for fixed speed operation, ie industrial equipment such as sawmills or generators.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTiTDi

TDI
I have seen a number of VW heater pipes rust through, and of course mine had to have a pinhole...I have tried to repair these before by brazing and welding to no avail, wondering if marine tex would hold, but I should probably just get another one..any suggestions?`
EDIT- Ended up getting a new one. Bead/sand blast the one you have if it is rusty to determine whether it has reached the point where it will leak..if not then prime and paint the pipe you have to prevent the rust from getting any worse..or just replace it!

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I think those pipes cost $35-$40:

GTiTDi

TDI
I have all the wiring installed with exception of the fan wiring as I havent decided upon a a2 fan or a b4/a3 fan setup..I adapted the passat headlight harness to the GTI because it includes the wiper wiring and puts the horn wiring onto the passenger side of the car, freeing up room in the drivers side where I want to put the intercooler. I also added an extra ground connection to the headlight harness on both sides..the passat firewall pad fits pretty good too.

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Been ordering up all kinds of goodies to freshen up my 1Z, including a nice new water distribution pipe! Being in the industry is very helpful, along with the benefit of a nice workspace for my swap is getting parts cheap! Not all parts are created equal though, and I have found FEQ's parts to be a little substandard, but hopefully the trans mount I got will last a little while at least! My gasser Jetta coupe has got pretty rigid motor mounts and a poly trans mount but I'm thinking those would be a little harsh with a diesel

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Spent an hour or so swapping the passat spindles for the GTI's since it was an 8valve which came with the base model unvented rotors. The Passat didn't come with the plus suspension of the VR6 model line which would have been cool, but the A3 style calipers and rotors will suffice...11:30 a.m. on a Sunday isn't too early to be using an air hammer and impact gun is it? My neighbors didn't seem too pleased, so luckily it didn't take that long!
For suspension/mounts I am using the following
-A3 2.0 subframe (k-frame)
-B4 front engine support mated to A2 brackets
-A2 or B4 radiator support brackets..haven't decided yet, I think the A2 radiator should be
large enough, since diesels theoretically run cooler, might modify one of my extra A3 dual fan
shrouds to fit so I could use the B4/A3 style fan control unit
-A3 control arms with Lemforder Audi TT bushings and polyurethane front
pivot bushings
-A3 ZF steering rack with Passat fluid reservoir and a mix of generational
fluid lines
-A3 Jetta rear beam w/ integral sway bar
-B4 rear calipers,axle stubs (the calipers are mint, parking brake doesn't
stick, and they are the same as an A3)

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDI
Along with getting my suspension situation squared away I have been bead blasting and clear coating all the aluminum brackets and the waterpump housing, and I plan on doing the same with my intake manifold. I am doing a timing belt while it is out even though it looks fairly recently replaced, but I would rather know when it was done! My donor car was without service records unfortunately, but every part that looks new or replaced is OEM, plus it only had 156,000 on the clock..

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like a good mix of parts. Just an FYI: the A3 control arms will provide for wider track then the mk2 control arms.

GTiTDi

TDI
Looks like a good mix of parts. Just an FYI: the A3 control arms will provide for wider track then the mk2 control arms.
Yessir thats why I'm using the A3 rack and tie rods, I have seen that the "A2 VR6" guys have been using the plus suspension no problem so I figured the A3 set up would work, especially with the extra weight of the 1Z/02A combination, may have to roll my fenders though

Nitrox

TDI
Golf II TDI
Very nice work so far, the engine bay looks fresh!

You don't need a MFA cluster to get the VSS signal to the ecu. A normal one will work just fine, the cluster only needs to have the speed pickup at the back.

In my GTD i have the original cluster (speedo by cable) and i'm sending the VSS signal from this pickup trought the white and blue wire to the ECU and everything works just fine. The reading is accurate and cruise control is working perfectly!

For the RPM I just bought a signal converter, i have to install it to see if it's ok...