most miles driven on a vw diesel car

paco74

TDI
1983 240d 4-speed manual 232k, 1984 300sd 195k
Hello! I'm wondering what is the most miles ever put on a vw diesel car here in the united states. The reason is simple, I need to show my wife that the vw's can really go the miles along with great mileage. Thank You in advance!:)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I'm not even close to the lead at 295,000 + miles.

There ar members here with over 400,000 , maybe even 500,000 miles....

paco74

TDI
1983 240d 4-speed manual 232k, 1984 300sd 195k
That is outstanding!! Just the news I wanted to know! With all of my vehicles that I own and use, I drive about 50,000 miles on all of them combined. Once I retire, I'll want to use the car that gets me the best mileage. ( A tdi!! ) I will be doing a lot of driving around the country. This is wonderful news! Thank You so much!:D

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Hello! I'm wondering what is the most miles ever put on a vw diesel car here in the united states. The reason is simple, I need to show my wife that the vw's can really go the miles along with great mileage. Thank You in advance!:)
When I sold my 02 Golf TDI back in 2010, it only had 361k miles on it and was still going strong. At that mileage, it was still way too early to tell how many more miles I could have put on it. :cool: I recall seeing a pic in a similar thread a few years ago of an odometer in an older NB TDI and it was "only" at 900k miles.

How many miles can a properly maintained TDI go? The world may never know...... :cool:

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Wait a minute - I thought the odo froze at 1 million klicks - 620k miles or so. Which is it?
625,000 is the mile limit as 1,000,000 Km is the equivalent. I saw alphasenior's car when it was near that mileage, but don't know if it is stuck at 625,000. Maybe it rolls over to 0000000 in an ALH?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I'm ~ 70 miles short of 100K, which is an accomplishment for me. Since this is my very first VW, this is the most I have ever put on a VW or any car for that matter. The other cars I owned either rusted out or just fell apart after several years in the rust belt. My right fender had some bubbling paint which I am currently trying to fix. I doubt that VW would give me a new fender since I have already painted it. The foam insulation was all dry rotted which I eliminated on both fenders; but I digress.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Wait a minute - I thought the odo froze at 1 million klicks - 620k miles or so. Which is it?
The A4 odos freezes at 1 Gigameter (1 million km) in an A4. This would include ALH. IIRC, the previous generation (A3 or Mk3) behaved slightly different and the NB I saw a pic of the odo in the NB was one of them.

EDIT: The NB cluster was supposedly made by a different manufacturer (not VDO like in the Golf and Jetta) and included more memory to enable reading higher mileage in the odo.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3229059&postcount=22

The industrial version of the ALH TDI engine has life rating of 25k HOURS. Using 45 miles/hour as a conversion factor, that converts to 1.125 MILLION miles! Using a more conservative 40 miles/hour as a conversion factor, 25k hours converts to 1.0 million miles. IIRC, VW engineers supposedly don't consider an ALH TDI engine to have high miles on it until 500k miles. That's when it has reached half of its rated life. The engine will easily go the distance, provided it has been maintained properly and nothing takes it it out early.

How long can a properly maintained TDI engine last? The world may never know...................

Last edited:

Wksg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI Wagon
426K miles on mine, runs smooth and strong, feels great, 55 mpg average. I had it to the local TDI guru a few weeks ago for a quick check and he said it looked and sounded fine.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
If you are trying to prove a point to your wife by appealing to faceless nerds on an internet forum, you have already lost :b

That being said, I am at 285K miles and going strong!