ALH Best Power vs. longevity mods

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 03 Jetta Wagon, 75 Westy (undergoing TDI conversion)
Hey Guys,

I am looking to pull a little more power out of my 2003 5spd golf ALH engine...

it is my daily driver and I would the car to last as many kms as I can get out of it... currently I am just pushing 222k kms on the engine - timing belt was done at 170k kms (PO didnt do it - first thing I did)

mods I have done:
1) SMF clutch
2) EGR block off
3) turn off EGR
4) Glow plug time interval extension...
5) clean intake etc...

so nothing major. I dont want to be dumping tons of money into the car at the moment - and I have a project Westy at the moment as well... also staying on top of regular car maintenance...

so what are the best power mods to do to an ALH engine with factors like longevity of the motor to keep in mind??

are there any?

keep it stock?

VNT-17 turbo?

.216 injectors?

tune?

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I just got my '03 before Thanksgiving. I deemed the Panzer Plate to be the most urgent, and I decided to replace my original shocks and struts before modding the engine. First, Power Plus 520 nozzles from Kerma. Got a low-smoke tune, too, but haven't got a chance to get it loaded. The nozzles alone made a HUGE difference-- can't wait for the tune. I'll need a TB in about 50k miles, so I think I'll put in a beefier clutch at that time (if it makes it that long...). I think the next step would probably be a 17/22 turbo, but I plan on researching (lurking) here a bunch, and consulting with the guru before taking that step. From what I've heard/read, what I've done so far shouldn't have reduced my longevity. I'm getting exactly the same mileage as I got before (~35, mostly high-traffic commuting). I'm troubleshooting that now-- I think it should be better.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 03 Jetta Wagon, 75 Westy (undergoing TDI conversion)
yeah - I have a panzier plate to put on - need to get the mounts... and then I cna replace the plastic engine cover...
SMF stage 2 clutch I already did as well as the first timing belt...

I think I will likely go the same route you have i.e. panzier plate... nozzles and low smoke tune - then 17/22 turbo...

currently im at about 45 - 50mpg...

Nich

Veteran Member
TDI
5 spd 03 Jetta TDI
Yes everything I have read says nozzles and a tune. It should only run you 500 or so and give a good deal of power and gas milage. Additionally if your driving 70+ alot then the .651 5th gear upgrade is only another for only 300

Anything more gets expensive very quickly with little gain and at the cost of engine life

TDImonkey

TDI
VW Golf 99.5 Blue 2Dr
PP520's from Kerma, RC2 or 3, and a .681 5th gave me a very happy drive. I also live where going 70+ guarantees you a ticket, so a taller 5th gear didn't make sense. Good luck!