I want a mk7 alltrack with a diesel

ajoncar

TDI
2000 jetta tdi, 2003 jetta tdi wagon
What do you guys think would be the way to go?
Buy an all track and swap in a diesel?
or buy a 15 diesel and swap in the awd?
It needs to be a manual, so im thinking that id need to get the alltrack as the good car since it will have the awd transmisson, altough the gearing ratios will be incorrect for the tdi. I would then look for a wrecked tdi for the motor/wiring'cpu but the ratios would still be wrong.

I was also thinking that i might be able to get a euro mk7 manual 4motion tranny imported from korwerks or the like that would already be geared for a tdi. im going to look into that option as i think it would be the best.

Any thoughts? Does anyone foresee more complications that the ones i have addressed? Thanks in advance for your input.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
You'd have to delete this emissions stuff for sure.

But really, for the cost and hassle you're better off just tuning a regular Alltrack. It'll be quicker than a TDI and there's no way you'll make your money back on fuel savings.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Before they sold off the 15's sitting in dealerships I was contemplating swapping in a Euro 1.6L into a regular gas sportwagen. It's not an impossible task but also not easy or cheap. To ensure I had all the parts and wiring I was going in import a whole wrecked donor car from Europe but this has it's complications. You'd have to find someone to ship it over in pieces. Mk7's have a lot of control modules that are component protected. Unless you are really good with programming and wiring, you'll want the whole donor car to switch over the necessary electronics, immobilizer etc. I was looking at $8-10k for get the donor car. To help bring down the cost of the project I had planned on finding a reasonable wrecked US sportwagen to convert. Would be a cool project, just would require a lot of time and money!

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
An Alltrack owner tried to transplant a GTI 2.0T into his Alltrack, he ran into major issues with the ECU reprogramming to accept the BCMs.

I'm not sure he was working with the best tuners/coders, but I believe each BCM is coded for the original 1.8T VIN and couldn't play nice with the 2.0T ECU, he had to use the 2.0T due to the VVT of the GTI.

My best guess is you would need to almost import a whole front clip from euro land including ECU 6MT and possibly the rear diff.

I've heard the independent rear subframe of the R (same as the Alltrack) can't be swapped into the NAR due to slight differences in the NAR TDI.

If I had more money than brains and a second car, I'd be willing to pay some shop to try it.

Getting 27-29MPG isn't fun at all :(

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Prob no worse than any TDI offered over the past 9 years. I know 335d had EGR clogging issues and similar HPFP issues, but its not like VW's are "cheap" to maintain to start from.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I can't even imagine the repair-cost nightmare that thing would be.
You think repair costs on a frankencar that no one has ever seen before would be less expensive? I don't. It won't have any warranty. At least you can buy an extended service plan for the BMW.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
I want one too, but a settling for just a "prerunner" version or as they call it here in Mexico a "Crossgolf" . Lifted, but 2wd.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I saw the new Golf R in the show room. Loaded... $42,000. Its all a guy could want minus the diesel but as others have said itll be faster than the TDI anyway. Its got warranty and payment options. If i wasnt blowin truckers at the flyin J to make ends meet as it is Id love a Golf R.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Too much money and headaches, imo. It would be a hella cool swap though.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I saw the new Golf R in the show room. Loaded... $42,000. Its all a guy could want minus the diesel but as others have said itll be faster than the TDI anyway. Its got warranty and payment options. If i wasnt blowin truckers at the flyin J to make ends meet as it is Id love a Golf R.

You can thank the fan boi racers for keeping the R still on the market, who knew dealers could move 40-43K Golfs, some of them even trying to charge 5-10K "market adjustments".

Now they just need to bring the R estate for those that actually want to use their car for useful things like going from 0-60 with 15 bags of mulch. :D

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
i saw the new golf r in the show room. Loaded... $42,000. Its all a guy could want minus the diesel but as others have said itll be faster than the tdi anyway. Its got warranty and payment options. If i wasnt blowin truckers at the flyin j to make ends meet as it is id love a golf r.
ha ha ha!

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
You can thank the fan boi racers for keeping the R still on the market, who knew dealers could move 40-43K Golfs, some of them even trying to charge 5-10K "market adjustments".
Now they just need to bring the R estate for those that actually want to use their car for useful things like going from 0-60 with 15 bags of mulch. :D
When I see a Golf R in public, I always say to my wife, “THAT'S the car I really want.” To which she replies, “But THIS is the car you really need. Besides, you’d just be trading it in for another diesel wagon in a year.”

She does know me well. Golf R is one sweet machine, but with two kids and lots of road trips, the GSW is the right one.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
Building a TDI Alltrack isn't too far-fetched of an idea - I thought about how it would be neat too, and they do make them this way in Europe.

The best option might be to find a way to bring one in from Europe once they are 25 years old.

If you can't wait that long look for a way to bring in parts from Europe and get a swap candidate. Starting out with an Alltrack might be easier and get the engine, transmission and tanks from a Euro spec TDI AWD.

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Why OH why does the NA mkt which is bigger than Europe get the short end of the stick. Maybe if VW gave us their best they would be making more progress in their MKT share here . All the other major auto producers have rolled over VW here. I also just heard the Beatle is going to be discontinued here, makes sense? I see them all over the place

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Building a TDI Alltrack isn't too far-fetched of an idea - I thought about how it would be neat too, and they do make them this way in Europe.
The best option might be a to find a way to bring one in from Europe once they are 25 years old.
[/sand QUOTE]
Ha, in twenty years most ICE cars will be refrigerators or museum pieces.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
one of a kind wundermachine, If the V6 TDI were complicated can't imagin the biturbo units are any simpler. Closest thing on the market these days is prob the new A6 Avant (RS6?;)) or V90, sadly both with the wrong type of fuel.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
too fancy for my blood, Skoda Octavia 4X4 is where it's at.

Bigger than the Golf GSW, slightly smaller than the Passat Estate, right number of cylinders, with MT, trimmed to be utilitarian without too much bling. Was the best $100 fill ups I've every had.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
too fancy for my blood, Skoda Octavia 4X4 is where it's at.

Bigger than the Golf GSW, slightly smaller than the Passat Estate, right number of cylinders, with MT, trimmed to be utilitarian without too much bling. Was the best 1$00 fill ups I've every had.
What's up with the headlights?

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
The job market is hot, you could switch it up...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's up with the headlights?
no idea, non fancy halogens that comes from the factory? it was a rental.

Also notice no front triangle window so it's not just a different bumper and fenders. Its MQB, but no Golf, it bigger than a golf, proven by comparing how our luggage fit in the hatch compared to our Alltrack.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
no idea, non fancy halogens that comes from the factory? it was a rental.

Also notice no front triangle window so it's not just a different bumper and fenders. Its MQB, but no Golf, it bigger than a golf, proven by comparing how our luggage fit in the hatch compared to our Alltrack.
Aside from the front end, I like it