2006 Jetta intermittent engine noise

Smokepole563

TDI
2006 JettaTDI
Gentlemen... I’ve gained a wealth of knowledge in the last 9 months since joining and want to thank you all. I have an issue with my Jetta with DSG as stated...sounds like a slight sound of a propeller driven plane doing a flyby. Sound pitch changes at 65mph with cruise set, and definitely pinpointed it to the engine as I can drop in neutral and noise is gone. I’m thinking possible turbo issues? Car has 136k on it and to the best of my knowledge turbo is original as I’m not the original owner. Fuel mileage has dropped as well...was averaging 42 now down to 37. I appreciate input and thanks in advance for any replies.

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
Do you have a way of taking a video of the sound and how it develops when you are driving? If you post it on here or a link to it the gurus might be able to pinpoint it. Your car has relatively 'low' miles and at that, the only thing I can think of that can lower fuel mileage can be a dirty or clogged fuel filter.

Try taking a video and posting a link to it here, I'm sure people will chime in!