Remove Alternator on 99.5 ALH

jorioux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
[RESOLVED] Remove Alternator on 99.5 ALH

I want to change the alternator pulley on my 99.5 ALH but I cant find a video or tutorial on how to remove the alternator. Even in the bentley book I see no step by step.
Does someone have some tips or advice on replacing the alternator pulley?

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Loosen bolts a turn and drive them in with a hammer and punch to unseat the sliding nuts.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I suspect that link was in the How To stickys.

I just removed the ALT on a 2000 Golf ...same engine.

The front of the car needs to be up on stands...

1. Disconnect the positive cable on the battery
2. Remove bottom cover
3. Remove the right side black plastic skirt
4. Remove the turbo piping from the turbo (or joint) over to the InterCooler
5. Remove the Serpentine belt
6. Remove the big positive wire off the back of the ALT and unplug the other wire
7. Take out the two bolts holding the AC compressor... drop it down and tie back out of the way.
8. Unbolt (three Torx screws) the left rad fan... drop down and tie back out of the way.
9. Remove the two bolts holding the ALT. Most likely, you will have to pry the ALT back and forth until it comes loose.
10. Now work the ALT out and down... be careful not to let fall into the Rad as it is not protected with the Fan out.

Note: for ease of work, I did remove the Serpentine tensioner and the black idler. When going back with the Serpentine tensioner, be careful to not over-tighten as they screw into the aluminum accessory bracket......which is thin at that point.

Important:
The two steel bushings that the bolts go in can be problematic. First, they need pushed back about twenty thousandths to make remounting easier. However, knocking on them with a hammer can break the mounting foot off ..........

As shown in the link above, you need those special tools to remove the pulley. Make sure that they are fully seated before applying torque with a wrench to break the pulley loose, otherwise, you can strip the splines, especially the center ones.

Check out this link...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=932019

Last edited: