How much is my Jetta worth?

Dan_Ku

TDI
1999 A3 TDI
I really like the new Jetta design and I would like to get a rough idea of how much my Jetta is worth. I have an 99 A3 Jetta TDI with 235,000 Kms. All maintenance done, replaced transmission and clutch at 200,000 kms. No problems currently and drives great. Rust is not bad, just some small spots. Thanks for your help.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Questions:

How much do you need from the sale of your A3 to get the A5?

How much of a hit money wise are you willing to take after replacing the tranny/clutch just over 21k miles ago?

Are you ready to take an MPG hit due to increased HP and weight in the A5?

Are you willing to shell out the extra money for mods that you have already invested in your A3?

I like the looks of the interior on the A5 but cannot come to grips with the exterior...too Corolla looking for me...

Just my $.02USD worth...

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
Compare against autotrader.ca. Given that you've got visible rust you're probably not going to get much over $7k unless you're lucky.

Rick

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I agree. Two years ago, the price of a TDI was pretty high (for A3s), it has dropped quite a bit since then due to the popularity of the MKIV TDI. Most people won't know that the A3s are rarer, just that they are older and 'less refined'.

That being said, you also have what is viewed as a high mileage car with visible rust. I know, diesels last forever, but Joe Schmo won't know that, and will plan to knock down your price. I don't know if it will go quite as low as 7 grand, but list it for a little more and see what happens. Dealer will probably give you 5 grand max for the car.

Dan_Ku

TDI
1999 A3 TDI
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably keep it anyway. Still have to get rid of this smoke at startup.

The rust is on the rear doors, in those steel bars separating the windows. Awful job of sealing from water entry in manufacturing (I learned fast and stopped going to the carwash but it was too late).

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Dan, are you going to be able to make the GTG in Barrie this coming up weekend, or would you still like to meet up seperately to have a look over your car?