Any suggestion on a plug play turbo 1.9 alh

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Built a 1.9 alh, rosten rods, asv pistons, ported head, 11m pump,, I'd like to try something in between gt17/22 and 2260vk, it would be nice to have a turbo that is plug and play without upgrading down pipe and exhaust, I would not like to have a choking egt turbo like the 17/22 (emp),i do not want to go crazy with a huge turbo either, cause my weakest link would be the tranny (stock gears) any advise on a turbo that would spool with very little lag

Thxs ahead

gmo

TDI
modded pd130 asz vw bora .. 04
is say a gt1749 vb with 11 blade wheel. simple and effective or a gt 2052 and get decant billet wheel fitted.. the gt2056 (know as 1856 hybrid) are laggy as **** ime.. check x man turbos on fb.. he might have something your looking for or make one up,(tell him malcolm dc scott sent you ) , if you dont want to go that route you not going to find 'bolt' on as such mate , gtb and gtd require a fair bit more work to plumb in and lot more expensive. xman sells; gtb from 1749 to 2572 welded on cast and full kits with parts need to fit but you looking at good grand for kit then fitting a proper custom map with.. it all adds up.
id al least add a decat to help with egts and smic cooler from 1.8t or pd130, it will be straight swap and core it much thicker..(might need some 57-51 bits of hose but that it) also consider putting a vent in the wheel arch on cooler side to increase air flow though it.. it worked well on my old mapped pd130- bora till i got fmic

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I have a gt2052 and it’s in no way plug and play. 100% total fab work has to be done to make it fit properly

Ok so let’s go down the road of what you want to do. You want enough power that you don’t blow the transmission up but you obviously are building a platform that will put out 300HP+.

So you are going to have to decide. Do you want HUGE power? Or do you want high end, normal power. Sounds to me like you are only interested in bolt on rather than any extensive fab.

I suggest going with a 17/22 or some other smaller but great turbos. Your concern with EGTs is legit ad you’re going to have that as your main bottle neck with the 11mm IP. Go with big nozzles 520 or 764's

For EGT with minimal lag, you are going to need to run water injection and a larger cam

The cam will give you an easy 100*F across the board and the water will do about 100-200*F at high end rpm. The best way to DIY a water injection and in my opinion the only way to do it on a custom build for EGT control is this.
1x thermo probe and 2x multimeter gauges from Auber.
Get a 100PSI pump from amazon and some fittings and 2 solenoids. The Auber gauges have a relay in them that can be set to any value on and off. Set the first gauge relay parameters to ON at 1300*F and off at 950*F and set the second gauge at ON at 1450*F and off at 950*F. Now wire up the pump and the 1st solenoid to the 1st relay and the second solenoid to the 2nd relay. The first solenoid goes to the primary (pre turbo water injection nozzle right at the inlet of the turbo. and the 2nd solenoid goes to the 2nd nozzle POST turbo at a smaller orifice. You also need a Boost gauge with a 3 bar Map from Auber. This is what those 1st 2 relays go into. On at 14.5PSI and off at 10PSI. This is important so that you only inject water when you’re at boost or higher. I run this set up at 32PSI and I’ll send you a list of parts I built this with. I don’t have a write up as it’s not very typical but this took my .764 at 1.4IQ with Malone stage 6 custom tune at 32PSI from 1600*F not even at FULL power to about 1520*F and I can’t get it to go any higher in EGT. It took a lot of tuning with different orifices and 3 different pumps to get it to work right but it’s awesome. Just water, no water meth. Cost me $120 for the Water system and another $70 in gauges. Vs the snow systems for $700 that don’t even work off EGT, only PSI.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Engine Will go in a car that got EJ bigger SMIC, if I go with 17/49 might as well go with 17/22, so you also are saying 20/52 plug and play with a billet, is this turbo Laggy? I find the 2260vk not laggy (never like vent 15 though, pls give me a link or contact to this seller so i could discuss options here I'd really appriciated

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a gt2052 and it’s in no way plug and play. 100% total fab work has to be done to make it fit properly

Ok so let’s go down the road of what you want to do. You want enough power that you don’t blow the transmission up but you obviously are building a platform that will put out 300HP+.

So you are going to have to decide. Do you want HUGE power? Or do you want high end, normal power. Sounds to me like you are only interested in bolt on rather than any extensive fab.

I suggest going with a 17/22 or some other smaller but great turbos. Your concern with EGTs is legit ad you’re going to have that as your main bottle neck with the 11mm IP. Go with big nozzles 520 or 764's

For EGT with minimal lag, you are going to need to run water injection and a larger cam

The cam will give you an easy 100*F across the board and the water will do about 100-200*F at high end rpm. The best way to DIY a water injection and in my opinion the only way to do it on a custom build for EGT control is this.
1x thermo probe and 2x multimeter gauges from Auber.
Get a 100PSI pump from amazon and some fittings and 2 solenoids. The Auber gauges have a relay in them that can be set to any value on and off. Set the first gauge relay parameters to ON at 1300*F and off at 950*F and set the second gauge at ON at 1450*F and off at 950*F. Now wire up the pump and the 1st solenoid to the 1st relay and the second solenoid to the 2nd relay. The first solenoid goes to the primary (pre turbo water injection nozzle right at the inlet of the turbo. and the 2nd solenoid goes to the 2nd nozzle POST turbo at a smaller orifice. You also need a Boost gauge with a 3 bar Map from Auber. This is what those 1st 2 relays go into. On at 14.5PSI and off at 10PSI. This is important so that you only inject water when you’re at boost or higher. I run this set up at 32PSI and I’ll send you a list of parts I built this with. I don’t have a write up as it’s not very typical but this took my .764 at 1.4IQ with Malone stage 6 custom tune at 32PSI from 1600*F not even at FULL power to about 1520*F and I can’t get it to go any higher in EGT. It took a lot of tuning with different orifices and 3 different pumps to get it to work right but it’s awesome. Just water, no water meth. Cost me $120 for the Water system and another $70 in gauges. Vs the snow systems for $700 that don’t even work off EGT, only PSI.
Im not new into mods fyi, i already got over 300hp golf with 2260vk, so that route i do not want to go, also in the past
I already maxed out the 17/22 at 220hp, throwing everything at it including W/M, I'm looking at 240-250hp, reliable with plug and play turbo, I might cryo tranny gears thats about it, but i do not want to go crazy like my golf, engine will support that kind of power but not the tranny.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
than why upgrade the stock internals? they can handle 250HP with 15PSI. My gt2052 does not produce much PSI until rmps are at 2400. this sucks for a daily but is great for what im going for. my future upgrade is a belt driven compound addition so ill be running 14PSI at 1,100 rpm and hopefully i can get into the 40psi range at full boost.
larger turbo's means more lag. BTW lag refers to the time between rpm's when shifting, we are technically talking about turbo latency or the time it takes from idle to get full boost.
In any case not sure what you want. if you just want to get more boost or get more out of your turbo or go larger, i would try adding a boost control valve and upping the boost first. with your set up you could also run propane injection!

the 2052 is not plug and play. you need a custom downpipe and exhasut manifold. Check out my build with my gt2052
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387812

FYI i hate the manifold i got for it as its geometry and port size do not flow nicely but it was a learning curve for me at the time.
My O2J is holding up at my power but its on its way out. Does it smoke at all? if it does not, up the fuel with larger nozzles and a upgrade on your fuel pump with a walbor and a 12 row fuel cooler and larger lines. If your not smoking, you can go further with more fuel and then tune more to get it back down to no smoke. NOS would be a good option if you have smoke at all. I dont like big turbos do to (Lag). Maybe more tune? A cam also. What cam are you running?

Last edited:

gmo

TDI
Engine Will go in a car that got EJ bigger SMIC, if I go with 17/49 might as well go with 17/22, so you also are saying 20/52 plug and play with a billet, is this turbo Laggy? I find the 2260vk not laggy (never like vent 15 though, pls give me a link or contact to this seller so i could discuss options here I'd really appriciated
search... x man turbos on face book , if you send him you turbo he'll fit it with 56mm billet if you wish.. good for near 260 on p130 injector so with room for .. he has choice of a few .. and weld it to you stock mani and clock housing to suit pipe work..
and yes its quite quite laggy with 56mm wheel. 2052 welded on you mani with billet 11 bade should be good for 220 and 340lb wityh 130 injectors
gt1856 dyno
https://scontent.fman2-2.fna.fbcdn....=8bffe19e2fb56420ad615f663a2d5f8d&oe=5AB0AAFB
His page.. he not the wolds best turbo builder but donst lot of custom stuff and i ran 33 psi though his gt1749 mfs 11 for about 30k and not a flicker of trouble ,
https://www.facebook.com/XMan-Turbos-264464090377661/

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We tune a fair number of them, 1.9-2.1 bar is where they seem to be happy. ~220bhp or so is what they'll pump out, top end is a lot better than the VNT17 and 17/22s. Of course you can push them a bit harder but that's a reliable point.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
than why upgrade the stock internals? they can handle 250HP with 15PSI. My gt2052 does not produce much PSI until rmps are at 2400. this sucks for a daily but is great for what im going for. my future upgrade is a belt driven compound addition so ill be running 14PSI at 1,100 rpm and hopefully i can get into the 40psi range at full boost.
larger turbo's means more lag. BTW lag refers to the time between rpm's when shifting, we are technically talking about turbo latency or the time it takes from idle to get full boost.
In any case not sure what you want. if you just want to get more boost or get more out of your turbo or go larger, i would try adding a boost control valve and upping the boost first. with your set up you could also run propane injection!

the 2052 is not plug and play. you need a custom downpipe and exhasut manifold. Check out my build with my gt2052
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387812

FYI i hate the manifold i got for it as its geometry and port size do not flow nicely but it was a learning curve for me at the time.
My O2J is holding up at my power but its on its way out. Does it smoke at all? if it does not, up the fuel with larger nozzles and a upgrade on your fuel pump with a walbor and a 12 row fuel cooler and larger lines. If your not smoking, you can go further with more fuel and then tune more to get it back down to no smoke. NOS would be a good option if you have smoke at all. I dont like big turbos do to (Lag). Maybe more tune? A cam also. What cam are you running?

Thxs for your input but believe me ALH stock internals would NOT support 250HP you would bend rods, do not ask me why, 220hp with 17/22 bent mine, besides I said alh engine is already built with rosten rods and asv pistons, reason I would like to go with plug and play is because I got PP downpipe and do not want to $$ for another down pipe and exhaust,,, everything else I got lined up,,, got R520 injectors,, I just want a turbo that is plug and play bigger than 17/22 with not a whole lot of lag,,engine that I built would definitely go beyond 220hp with the right turbo

Owen@Malone tuning pls expand on the 1756, what kind of boost can you sustain with this turbo can you go 30? 17/22 you could boost up 26 all day long,,, is this a plug and play turbo? a how about lag?? and power ?

Last edited:

gmo

TDI
We tune a fair number of them, 1.9-2.1 bar is where they seem to be happy. ~220bhp or so is what they'll pump out, top end is a lot better than the VNT17 and 17/22s. Of course you can push them a bit harder but that's a reliable point.
so gtb .. cheers for input mate

so if i wanted a fast b road 250bhp gtb2056 with +80s would be better thasn gtb1756 and +50S,

im now tempted so sell my turbo dynamics md445 and get an diff and scrap md445 idea all together till i got coin for gtb or gtd set up

gmo

TDI
Thxs for your input but believe me ALH stock internals would NOT support 250HP you would bend rods, do not ask me why, 220hp with 17/22 bent mine, besides I said alh engine is already built with rosten rods and asv pistons, reason I would like to go with plug and play is because I got PP downpipe and do not want to $$ for another down pipe and exhaust,,, everything else I got lined up,,, got R520 injectors,, I just want a turbo that is plug and play bigger than 17/22 with not a whole lot of lag,,engine that I built would definitely go beyond 220hp with the right turbo

Owen@Malone tuning pls expand on the 1756, what kind of boost can you sustain with this turbo can you go 30? 17/22 you could boost up 26 all day long,,, is this a plug and play turbo? a how about lag?? and power ?
its torque not hp bend rods mate .. i just posted graph to show the figures is can put out that was on stock pd30 injectors to.
i have a md445 gt1756 for next build that still capable of 230 plus and 380lbs mate

its down the mapper to keep torque with engines safe limits. and smooth

a good choice is the gt1756.. lot of dyno graphs on xman page using the 56 and 52 on assortment on engines . might be worth having a look. not saying buy from him but might give idea of what you what, he got every bolt on and vw turbo going lol and if not he'll build it

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I am looking into 18/56 I believe not 100% sure, it is the same 17/22 honed to 18/56 can anyone elaborate on this turbo, supposed to be plug and play

gmo

TDI
I am looking into 18/56 I believe not 100% sure, it is the same 17/22 honed to 18/56 can anyone elaborate on this turbo, supposed to be plug and play
Big GT1856v hybrid turbocharger. This is the biggest bolt on hybrid we do before GTB turbos. Based on stock unit fitted with GT18 turbine wheel, large GT2052v compressor housing machined to accommodate the large 56mm GTX style CNC cut performance billet compressor wheel. Doesn't offer the best spool but makes the numbers with very few modifications required to fit. 2.5" downpipe, hard pipe kit and straight through/uprated exhaust are recommended for the best results we are yet to see what would it make with uprated injectors!
Compressor wheel colour and compressor housing origin may change but still going to be the same size.
230bhp+ power potential depending on supporting mod
copy and pasted from site mate.. inbox him to discuss what your needs are mate.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
avoid ebay turbos, go with a reputable builder or maker like garret

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
GTB2056 would definitely be a nice turbo to try I love the GTB turbos the way they spool is nice, but the downside is doing other things to accommodate this turbo to the alh downpipe, exhaust inlet outlet pipes and so on,, trying to stay away from all that pain of gathering parts to fit this sucker in,,,

But now after reading from you guys that GT1856 has a lot of lag, I am leaning more towards GT1756,,, having in the past 1752 and getting 220hp out of it, I'm sure that I could probably get 230-240hp with this turbo pushing its limit probably has its choking points with high egts like the 1722 but it is plug and play and that is a plus for me,,, and I defnitly will have supporting mods to go along with it,, I am all ears from anybody using this turbo on a 1.9 tdi, pls share your experience Id really appreciate it.

Pls if someone has had a bad experience with Xman and his turbo pls let me know I may be going his way to get a turbo thxs ahead

gmo

TDI
GTB2056 would definitely be a nice turbo to try I love the GTB turbos the way they spool is nice, but the downside is doing other things to accommodate this turbo to the alh downpipe, exhaust inlet outlet pipes and so on,, trying to stay away from all that pain of gathering parts to fit this sucker in,,,

But now after reading from you guys that GT1856 has a lot of lag, I am leaning more towards GT1756,,, having in the past 1752 and getting 220hp out of it, I'm sure that I could probably get 230-240hp with this turbo pushing its limit probably has its choking points with high egts like the 1722 but it is plug and play and that is a plus for me,,, and I defnitly will have supporting mods to go along with it,, I am all ears from anybody using this turbo on a 1.9 tdi, pls share your experience Id really appreciate it.

Pls if someone has had a bad experience with Xman and his turbo pls let me know I may be going his way to get a turbo thxs ahead

i got a 1756 ready to fit mate. after being in several cars with them fitted and seem several dynos with them making just over 240bhp and in area of 380lbs on stock injectors. my next stop will be a gtb2056vk and +80 but i think the gt1756 will do just nicely for now.. :)

x man turbos are ok., i ran 33psi peak onj one of his billet pd150 hybriods for over 30.000m ..the vnt will not be set right but that dosnt take long to do yourself in for have VAG.com. ive seen x-man gt1756mfs do 247 bhp @2.1 bar before on bigfish's dyno on stock nozzles

but for a few quid more you could go with TRP, they do same hybrid with 11 blade wheel and units are of bit better quality .. look nicer lol)and vnt set up ready.. those 2 would be my choice for decant well priced bolt ons
trp performance and ask about their trp1756, is about 675 quid to x man 600.. added bonus of trp is they are a tuning company and are very good at it to.

i have turbo dynamic model myself but only as i chance to pick it up for less than 3rd of new price and never been fitted all reciepts ect . they bluebrinted to motorsport spec but cost about 1300 quid new.. trp and x man are about half that

gmo

TDI
i got a 1756 ready to fit mate. after being in several cars with them fitted and seem several dynos with them making just over 240bhp and in area of 380lbs on stock injectors. my next stop will be a gtb2056vk and +80 but i think the gt1756 will do just nicely for now.. :)
x man turbos are ok., i ran 33psi peak on one of his billet pd150 hybrids for over 30.000m witha 49mm with gtx wheel lol ..the vnt will not be set right but that dosnt take long to do yourself in for have VAG.com. ive seen x-man gt1756mfs do 247 bhp @2.1 bar before on bigfish's dyno on stock nozzles
but for a few quid more you could go with TRP, they do same hybrid with 11 blade wheel and units are of bit better quality .. look nicer lol)and vnt set up ready.. those 2 would be my choice for decant well priced bolt ons
trp performance and ask about their trp1756, is about 675 quid to x man 600.. added bonus of trp is they are a tuning company and are very good at it to.
i have turbo dynamic model myself but only as i chance to pick it up for less than 3rd of new price and never been fitted all reciepts ect . they bluebrinted to motorsport spec but cost about 1300 quid new.. trp and x man are about half that

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
Where do I find rep? Facebook?

Pioneering Performance

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Bora ARL
unfortunately the vnt17 based turbos (17/22 or 1749vb) have the largest exhaust housing for the plug and play options..
Not any longer. There is a plug n play GTB20-22-23-25 option right around the corner....

www.facebook.com/pioneeringperformanceltd

Just waiting on the machine shop for our second batch, soon as they are done we’ll do a vendors post in the correct section.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Thxs for your input but believe me ALH stock internals would NOT support 250HP you would bend rods, do not ask me why, 220hp with 17/22 bent mine,
bolded your problem

you're making an extra 60hp that you'll never see just trying to force the exhaust through the tiny little turbine

ETA: that, or you're trying to make 600+ n/m, limit torque and let it breathe

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Sorry, to clarify, exaclty which 1756, is plug and play, good spool, are we talking about? TIA.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
Something like this?
Big GT1856v hybrid turbocharger. Doesn't offer the best spool but makes the numbers with very few modifications required to fit. 230bhp+ power potential depending on supporting mod

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Something like this?
I saw that but that is one person's opinion, or what he thinks. Kinda need more facts, ;)

What bout the 1756?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been in contact with friends from the othe other side of the pond and they all said that 18/56 it's laggy , i believe it's the same gt17/22 bored out for 18/56, but they are suggesting that if you want a better turbo it would be gtb2056vk they say spool better than 18/56