my old tdi value

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon is valued at $1900 - $2700 on Kelly site.
260K on it....
I did an accurate "condition" assessment on the Kelly page. It's a wonderful old car, but it IS old and for sure has some rust issues.. Runs like a clock.
Does that seem accurate to my fellow TDI lovers ?
:confused:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, you know the rust issue, and the mileage. While I would not think the miles are excessive, particularly if it can start in the weather we're having right now (show the compression is good along with battery, glow plugs, and starter), other people will have difficulty with such miles.

Personally, I'd be concerned about the rust. Suspension parts are replaceable, but body rust gets more difficult to take care of. Other than front fenders, anyway.

If it is an auto, then cut the value in half. If you need a clutch or timing belt soon, then you'll have to think about deducting for relatively expensive maintenance due soon. How are the tires?

In my mind, at this point a car like this is pretty much down to what it takes to keep it going. The value lies more in what I'd have to put in it in the near term (e.g. as soon as it warms up enough to be able to stand working on it outside) than what the residual value of the car is. And do you do your own wrenching?

Are you looking to move on to a different vehicle? Just worried about rust and other maintenance taking over? What is your objective in a sale?

And last, it is really hard to assess anything over the internet, even with photos. Without them - not really possible.

Cheers,

PH

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
TDI's had a craze about them because "frying oil" "Free fuel oil" and all that, then VW emissions scandals happened and the prices crashed. Hippies and conservatives all loved them because they thought "hey diesel is less pollution, free fuel from fry oil, and I’m helping the earth" but now that is broken thought because vw damaged the reputation for clean diesel, even if its total BS and the FCC is cracking hard on them.

POINT IS
A few years ago your tdi was worth 2700 blue book but they were selling for almost double that due to what I mentioned above. Now same car, same miles, same conditions, $2700 is still blue book but that’s optimistic. If you got $2300 I would say that’s good. Walk away from anything less than $2,100 unless there is a big issue like it needs new tires or something.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The truth of the matter is, I've never seen the Kelley Blue Book right on 'cult cars'. I recommend going to the actual sale of a car to determine value.

See what you can find for sale on Ebay. Put them on your Watch List until they close. The last 15 seconds makes all the difference. You aren't buying, you are pricing. A car that sold for a real price is the actual 'book' price.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Problem is that KBB is what is used to value the car in any other situation other than selling as an owner to another person. Dealerships, trade ins, insurance to a slightly lesser extent (they use other variables like depreciation but still use a system that is similar to KBB), and so on.

This means that when you buy a car it’s always an investment into what the car is worth if it gets totaled. Never buy a car to drive daily that is worth more than what you will get if it’s total loss and paid out by an insurance company or a settlement. You can get classical car insurance and or hot rod insurance but you can’t daily drive it (technically) on daily drives, only to shows, meets, events and so on.

Another thing that is detracting from value is that Porche and Mercedes Benz announced that they will not be making any more diesel cars and it looks like Audi is flowing suit. VW will probably get on that band wagon as they are the leading reason car manufacturers are dropping the diesel lines. It’s costing WAY too much now to get them to pass the new more strict rules set by the FCC and other regulations in various states for diesel emissions. TDI's heyday is over and prices are dropping due to consumer’s lack of interest and trust. "Hey if Porche says it’s not good than why would I buy one" reasoning. It’s dumb and it sucks but this is what is happening and we have to live with it. Dam green thumb hippies.
Point is that if you want the car for the TDI (that’s why we love them) then go for it and buy it for what you can. $2,700 is what I got mine back in 2011 and it needed new tires and suspension, brakes and a few other things. I took 6 months to find a TDI that was not $4,300 as I saw plenty of them sell for that much back in 2011.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Depends a LOT on the location/region.

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
If it's clean $2700 is a very good price. If it's crusty I'd have a hard time paying over 1k. Michigan crusty is not the same as California crusty either.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the replies... as I say, I have had this car since I drove from the dealer in '03. (for 17K and change :) ) It is such a great auto... more info ~~
lots of maintenance I do myself... brakes, replaced AC pump, alternator, wheel bearings,
& other silly jobs.
Big jobs done by trusted TDI guys from this site include clutch back after I rocket chipped it, Lift kit, koni's all round, a couple timing belts. Oil maintained religiously every 10K.
It has good tires and a full set of snows mounted on rims....
big ass metal skid plate.......
the rust is not hideous and really not visible too much... fenders, rear hatch here and there and the various little nooks and crannies where it always ends up.
So I dunno...if I could keep after the body work it would be good for another 250K.
NH winters are tough...no doubt...... but the thing is a rocket, and a tank in the snow.
This car owes me nothing after 15yrs.... I am on the fence and there isnt a diesel I would want now unless it had THIS motor in it..the new ones suck.... so I would be going to the dark side and getting a gasser I guess. Thanks again.... lots to think about

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
$2,500 - $3,000 as it sits is probably pretty accurate, unless the interior is immaculate and the headliner is intact. If so it might go a bit higher.

I had the rust repaired under VW's 12 year warranty a few years ago, and the car has remained clean. New hatch, fenders, and rocker panel repairs. Sounds similar to your car, but keep in mind those repairs if paid for out of pocket would probably run over $5K. I wouldn't have paid that out of pocket.

But these cars are unique. Depends on how much you like it. Apparently I like mine a lot.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well, you know the rust issue, and the mileage. While I would not think the miles are excessive, particularly if it can start in the weather we're having right now (show the compression is good along with battery, glow plugs, and starter), other people will have difficulty with such miles.
Personally, I'd be concerned about the rust. Suspension parts are replaceable, but body rust gets more difficult to take care of. Other than front fenders, anyway.
If it is an auto, then cut the value in half. If you need a clutch or timing belt soon, then you'll have to think about deducting for relatively expensive maintenance due soon. How are the tires?
In my mind, at this point a car like this is pretty much down to what it takes to keep it going. The value lies more in what I'd have to put in it in the near term (e.g. as soon as it warms up enough to be able to stand working on it outside) than what the residual value of the car is. And do you do your own wrenching?
Are you looking to move on to a different vehicle? Just worried about rust and other maintenance taking over? What is your objective in a sale?
And last, it is really hard to assess anything over the internet, even with photos. Without them - not really possible.
Cheers,

PH[not sure why I am tinking about it... I guess worried that it is going to start costing me time and money, and the rust is a concern]