2008 Fest! COlumbus, Cinci, Dayton?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hintertux said:
There is a mention of VWoA never coming? What sponsors or vendors do show?

I like the idea of having it in DC 2009 when they move there but why give them the advertisement when they don’t support us….?
Dude, they do support us. They came to this Fest with a powertrain engineer, the PR manager for VW Canada, AND a 2008 "Clean Diesel" Jetta TDI.

In my book, that's some pretty good support for a small group of fanatics. This is the first year they've done it, but they said they would definitely be back next year.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Not to mention the backpacks and other goodies they've donated in the past.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
VW's participation is spotty and mostly done last minute - both this year and last. I wouldn't recommend depending on VW for anything.

Plan the Fest and invite VW. Once we get consistency from them, we can then kick it up a notch.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Hamsterdiesel said:
VW's participation is spotty and mostly done last minute - both this year and last. I wouldn't recommend depending on VW for anything.

Plan the Fest and invite VW. Once we get consistency from them, we can then kick it up a notch.
I think you need to right person to approach VWoA. Someone who knows how to go after sponsorship, and sell why VW should be there. Making a call and asking can you come out, isn't going to cut it. You need sell the idea that VW making a presenence is a great way to estiblish a great relationship to a deticated customer base. Also a great way, to see what people want in a Diesel car, What trends and desires are important. That they in turn can use to create new models for us and the public.

You don't invite VW out. YOU sell the TDIFest as a marketing/sales tool for them. Then we might get somewhere.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Leo819 said:
I think you need to right person to approach VWoA. Someone who knows how to go after sponsorship, and sell why VW should be there. Making a call and asking can you come out, isn't going to cut it. You need sell the idea that VW making a presenence is a great way to estiblish a great relationship to a deticated customer base. Also a great way, to see what people want in a Diesel car, What trends and desires are important. That they in turn can use to create new models for us and the public.

You don't invite VW out. YOU sell the TDIFest as a marketing/sales tool for them. Then we might get somewhere.
oddly enough, after much contact with VWoA and VW Can, Corporate was the one who contacted US. it was rather unusual. But after finally being able to get corporate to come to our gathering, it seems they are looking more into coming to future fests. Just coming to Fest seemed to make the sale. I hope they'll be more inclined to join us in '08 but heed hamsters words... they're still unreliable in their responses.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Personally I'd say they won't commit until closer to the fest rather than 'unreliable'. When we first asked for support they send us some goods right away. Not a huge amount, but some good prizes (ie bags, jackets, etc). THANKS VW.

It wasn't until closer to the Fest that they said they would be in attendance. For now I'm not so sure it would be easy to plan a Fest around VW. I would't rule it out, but it would probably be easier to plan the next Fest independently of VW and try to get their help once plans get set.

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
VW Derf said:
Personally I'd say they won't commit until closer to the fest rather than 'unreliable'. When we first asked for support they send us some goods right away. Not a huge amount, but some good prizes (ie bags, jackets, etc). THANKS VW.

It wasn't until closer to the Fest that they said they would be in attendance. For now I'm not so sure it would be easy to plan a Fest around VW. I would't rule it out, but it would probably be easier to plan the next Fest independently of VW and try to get their help once plans get set.
I agree - that is more like it. We definitely would like to keep the VW presence at the Fest, but it's unlikely that we can plan with them at this stage.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
I don't understand why VWoA does not promote the Diesel more.. I hear comercials about cars getting 32 mpg and it makes me laugh. Our Fest can be part of their promotion, saying look we already do better than 32 mpg and here is proof..

I agree you need to give them a bone to play with.. Offer a speaking opportunity where they could layout thier plans for Diesel in the future... Roadmap speech.. If they say no call Honda, Jeep, toyota, etc... others that have or are putting out Diesels in the future.

Try and get other groups of interest involved.. Provide a venue for Biodiesel some how... I don't care for Willie Nelson but he has that Biodiesel thing going http://www.biowillieusa.com/.. http://www.earthbiofuels.com/ http://www.earthbiofuels.com/or give the Soybean industry http://www.regfuel.com/biodiesel.html a call.. Call up the networks like Fox News and get them involved.. Bigger the audience the better the show of big companies..

I know that this fest is for us and not industry... Not trying to comercialize it, just want to push the Diesel platform and help re-educate the 95% of people who think diesel stinks...Just the more big groups you have involve the more fun for all of us...

Is there a list of sponsers that have attended previous events? Local versus National?

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
TDIs fly off dealers' lots by word of mouth alone. Why spend money advertising when a product sells itself?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Hintertux said:
Any idea of what fraction their TDI's make in their overall sales?
Given the EPA's limition on the number imported, I'm guessing 5%, if even that.

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
If I recall properly... the powertrain engineer from VW said that we, in Canada, have like 38% of the VW sold market in Diesels...

IMO, I say that in Québec, we are closer to 70% of the VW sold are TDIs

I think we've understood since a while the benefits of Diesel engines... Maybe we are more evolved :p :D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
25% of the 2006 VWs sold were TDIs.

Note that that was the EPA-imposed limit - the first time that VW has EVER run into that emissions limit. (For 2005, it was 50%, and for 2004, it was 75%.)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
For 2008, there will be NO LIMIT on the number of TDIs VW is allowed to sell. That will be the real test to see how many they can sell.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
VeeDubTDI said:
For 2008, there will be NO LIMIT on the number of TDIs VW is allowed to sell. That will be the real test to see how many they can sell.
So TDIFest could turn into Waterfest... :)

----

Anyway. I can't help out too much. Maybe some website / php coding (of which I do have quite a bit of). I even have a bit of knowledge of GoogleCheckout (I shake my fist at PayPal). It would be nice to have it back in the MidWest. From this population distribution map of the US from Census data (1 dot = 1000 people), Cinci/Columbus/KY would be pretty well centered.

However. My greatest contribution will be something my sleep Deprived brain came up with this morning, the 'name'.

TDiFest OH-8!

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Does dense population equate thickly settled?
...Just Great! We're not only dense, we're thick, too!:rolleyes:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
IIRC, according to the Census Bureau, the population center of the United States is in Missouri.

It would be interesting to see where the population center of TDI's in the United States and Canada is located....

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There's a definite TDI triangle into which TDI migrate to never come out. This diesel equivalent to the Bermuda triangle lies within a small area bounded by the Hamsterdiesel and PeterV, Jetter-Sprinta, and IndigoBlueWagon's residences.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Does your abode fall in that area John? IIRC it seems to have a tendency to suck up and spit out crashed Passats :p

:)

(PS: I'll grab one of those Audi dingers for ya the next time I'm at the junkyard)

-J

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Lug_Nut said:
There's a definite TDI triangle into which TDI migrate to never come out. This diesel equivalent to the Bermuda triangle lies within a small area bounded by the Hamsterdiesel and PeterV, Jetter-Sprinta, and IndigoBlueWagon's residences.
Well, my car has managed to escape the clutches of that Bermuda-like triangle after several GtG's at the Ho5G's - but it seems as if some attachment was made, because all you guys seem to have followed me to Montreal recently !!!!
[insert music from the Twilight Zone here...]

Yuri.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lug_Nut said:
Hey, I resemble that remark! I haven't bought a TDI since April.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Lug_Nut said:
I'm in the triangle. Do I get a prize or something?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Torque_Delight said:
A map of that evil triangle could be fun to see...
I wanted to make one but I have no coordonates :p
Yeh... I'm also pretty uncoordinated before I have my morning coffee...

Yuri.

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Hey, I resemble that remark! I haven't bought a TDI since April.
Feeling withdrawal, are we?

Frankly the triangle REALLY should include Tomo's residence and not the Ho5G...TDI's migrate to Ho5G, but mosty they leave again...:D

edit - but then again, Tomo never has more than 2 for very long...but they do rotate through there at a MUCH higher rate than average...but then again AGAIN, TDI owners are not average!

Last edited:

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
There is a reason DHL (previosuly Airborne) chose Wilmington, OH as their national hub. I forget the exact numbers but it would be a reasonable location. So, Dayton would be a good choice in my opinion.

If Ohio residents want to talk with me about it, just let me know. I am a project manager by day...

Jason