PIPERCAM 272º camshaft upgrade

corsabala

TDI
Seat Ibiza TDI AFN 81kW
Hi everyone,

I have a 1.9 TDI VE AGR 90hp with a GT2260VK MFS, 11mm pump head and 0.360mm nozzles. So I'm thinking about buying a 272º Pipercam for my engine.

My question is: The valves don't hit the pistons with this camshaft? Anyone are using that can help me?

A friend had this camshaft in a 1.9 TDI AHU some weeks ago and the engine was doing a noise "knock knock". When he installed the OEM camshaft the noise disappeared.

Thank you

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I havent tried that one...but that does happen with many high lift cams. You will need to deepen the valve reliefs on the pistons an appropriate amount if you wish to use a cam such as this.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
The Newman regrind cam has 9.9mm of lift and fits fine with stock valves. I've done a few of them now :)

http://www.newman-cams.com/camshafts/

They don't list the regrind on their site, but its about half the price of a new blank. Best to email them for details. Turn-round time is usually a couple of weeks so best if you can send them a spare if you need to keep the car running.

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
Yes the Newmans regrind is a great option and not expensive. I've fitted a couple of them to VE motors with consistent results.

Currently they do not have an option for a new blank grind.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I don't know about that particular camshaft, but I can say that with 11mm of valve lift and 270 duration not only will they hit the pistons, it'll make the springs bind up as well lol

corsabala

TDI
Seat Ibiza TDI AFN 81kW
Thank you all for the answers.

I will send an email to Newman for more information.

@Mikkijayne, if the Newman cam have 9.9mm of lift, what's the lift the 272 and 260 cam dbilas and pipercam? Anyone know?

@Jukums, it's a diesel engine cam.

@leon10tagg What are the biggest performance differences with Newman cam you noticed?