What did you do to your MKIV today?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Drove it from home (south of Boston) to Madison WI to visit my son, 1170 miles, little over 18 hours with stops and traffic. I should know better than to drive through downtown Chicago on a Friday evening, even post rush hour. Got 47.7 on the first tank despite running at an indicated 78 with strong headwinds. Second tank may be a bit worse. Car ran flawlessly.

I sincerely hope you had more than one driver.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Lol, for about the past 30 years I have driven, often solo, L.A. to Chicago in 2 days,
stopping at Indian Springs CO for the night. Then returning after the 4 week visit.
It's a great way to see (some of) America at 80 mph.:cool:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh I've done more than 16hrs behind the wheel more than once.
I also know that after hour 12 I'm impaired, no matter how much
coffee I drink. Not safe, I won't do it anymore, an accident can ruin
your life.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Lol, for about the past 30 years I have driven, often solo, L.A. to Chicago in 2 days,
stopping at Indian Springs CO for the night. Then returning after the 4 week visit.
It's a great way to see (some of) America at 80 mph.:cool:

The city is Idaho Springs but the spa is called "Indian Hot Springs". I'll bet a good soak felt great after you stopped for the overnight after a 985 mile drive!

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Oh I've done more than 16hrs behind the wheel more than once.
I also know that after hour 12 I'm impaired, no matter how much
coffee I drink. Not safe, I won't do it anymore, an accident can ruin
your life.
The secret is to sleep for as much as possible beforehand, so you are extremely well-rested. Let's say until 10 am. Then drive 12 hours or so before stopping for a very large and very strong cappuccino. Get a second wind after daybreak, then continue until you have to stop for a nap. I've driven 1800+ miles in 30 hours using this strategy -- but it really only works in the summer with long days and short nights.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just me driving. This is my third trip out here since August. Last time I drove overnight, didn't particularly enjoy that. This trip I left very early in the morning and didn't feel tired at all at any point in the drive, to my surprise. I stop every three hours or so, even if it's just for a few minutes to get a coffee and walk around. Helps me a lot.

My son (who lives here in Madison) and I have a high threshold for long drives. My other children don't.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I stop every three hours or so, even if it's just for a few minutes to get a coffee and walk around. Helps me a lot.

At my age bio-breaks are required every two hours. Last summer I was driving my Miata down to Prescott and was doing good until I hit a slowdown just north of Merced. Right in the middle of town, a big rig had caught on fire on CA 99, but fortunately it was just past the southbound exit to V St. However, it took an hour to go the 5 miles to the exit; luckily there was a gas station/convenience store right at the exit.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Just me driving. This is my third trip out here since August. Last time I drove overnight, didn't particularly enjoy that. This trip I left very early in the morning and didn't feel tired at all at any point in the drive, to my surprise. I stop every three hours or so, even if it's just for a few minutes to get a coffee and walk around. Helps me a lot.

My son (who lives here in Madison) and I have a high threshold for long drives. My other children don't.
I used the same routine for many full two day drives averaging up to 1,500 miles. Lots of rest beforehand, stop every 3 hours or so for a short walk and coffee, radio on, and lots of air circulating in the car. But, as soon as I was in my early 70's, I couldn't do those adventures at full steam anymore. Now it's about 600+ miles per day and an overnight rest.

I still enjoy long drives, and last winter went from Houston, TX to San Jose, CA and back with me doing all the driving (2 night stops each way).:)

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
mildly opened her up to 3500 rpm on an offramp. first time since my uncle did my headgasket. nerve-racking but she held up.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
mildly opened her up to 3500 rpm on an offramp. first time since my uncle did my headgasket. nerve-racking but she held up.

Get her up to temp and try 4000 next. What kind of head bolts did he use? I'm debating about when to install my ARP headstuds.
Rear brake upgrade next though, going to 256x22 vented rotors, standard on the 337/ 20th AE, the GLI, and the R32.

deathtrap

TDI
Get her up to temp and try 4000 next. What kind of head bolts did he use? I'm debating about when to install my ARP headstuds.
Rear brake upgrade next though, going to 256x22 vented rotors, standard on the 337/ 20th AE, the GLI, and the R32.
Just stock. This is on my mildly tuned daily-driven sedan.
I'll be pushing for ARP head bolts on our cars over stage 2 (vnt 17 and 17/22)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Wagon: Replaced the starter. Replaced the large cooling fan, which had started to make noise occasionally. Replaced the broken plastic battery surround and top that were broken by the AAA guy a few weeks ago, who didn't know to push in the buttons on either side of the battery before trying to yank the cover off. Can't really blame him that much as the plastics are getting close to 20 years old and it was near 0 degrees F. All of today's repairs were in the same area of the engine compartment so it probably saved some time to do them together.

Nyk

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Over the last week or so I managed to pick up 4 door panels with black leather card inserts, and last night I got my hands on a nice center console with built in cupholders to replace my current cup-less one.

Got all the card inserts removed from the donor panels and removed the old plastics (I recently replaced all the plastics on my doors with brand new ones) and then cleaned everything up. Now I'm just waiting for better weather to roll around in a month or two to put it all in.

I'd normally use the garage, but it's a small one car unit and currently filled with a snowblower and donor parts :p

Cmon spring!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ULSdors

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yesterday, actually. Got it dirty driving home from Wisconsin.

Also, I believe it's the farthest I've driven it in a day. 1170 miles, 18 hours flat. I'm tired today.

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Woke up to find my wagon rifled. Lost many small person items, but my favorite tool box remained. I need to inventory so see if any of these great tools were lost. Bummers.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Woke up to find my wagon rifled. Lost many small person items, but my favorite tool box remained. I need to inventory so see if any of these great tools were lost. Bummers.
Sorry to hear about that. Portland sucks like that.

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
radiator failed on the diesel yesterday. 2 gallons in 50 miles. no its not being burned nor is it going into the oil. checked both of those things. i saw it dripping off the front bumper when i looked. yay...... at least my 2slow still works right.

deathtrap

TDI
bought a relay 109 and an oil filter for it along with an oil filter for the MK2.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I finally shoehorned an H8 battery in, as the battery from the gasser Jetta wasn't cutting it. Got the H8 from Walmart a week or so ago for around $81,it was a "used" one that had date code of 11/18 on it. I ended up cutting out the lower bottom corners of battery tray. The battery doesn't go under the lip, but I got the front lower hold down and bolted. I used some zip ties to hold the fuse pack to top of battery. Fires up nice and easy now. When weather breaks, I've got a list of to-do items on it.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Dropped my IQ a point to 8.0. Wow, FE will drop a bit I'm sure, but
performance is impressive, no smoke. I'll take the hit for the bump
up in response and power after an 80 mile round trip last night.

deathtrap

TDI
drove it to visit my uncle.
got closure on his wagon.
i had overfilled it with oil and blew the engine.
explains why it was running rough. two cylinders dropped compression.
he is swapping a spare motor in, going 17/22, and throwing in a south bend clutch in.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Tie rods on both sides, after the new outer on the right split the boot within 6 months, and the right inner threads we're already damaged.
When the left started to develop some play, I pulled the set.

While I had the car in the air it was easy to knock out the oil change as well.

I did find out that setting the toe-in by counting threads is nearly useless when changing tie rods, but an alignment brought it back into adjustment easily.

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Took my wagon on a little adventure in Big Sur. Drove it 5 miles out a dirt road at the top of the mountain. I was a little worried about clearance and traction on the muddy parts, but the little diesel just pulled through everything like it was no big deal. I had been considering lowering springs, but after yesterday’s adventure, I like the ride height and articulation of the stock springs. I’m tempted to buy some larger BFG dirt tires for my steel wheels, to swap when needed.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
drove it to visit my uncle.
got closure on his wagon.
i had overfilled it with oil and blew the engine.
explains why it was running rough. two cylinders dropped compression.
he is swapping a spare motor in, going 17/22, and throwing in a south bend clutch in.

Hmmm, your uncle sounds like quite the handy guy.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Retired the Jetta for 3 months or so, bought a 2005 Legacy GT wagon to drive in the winter and have more fun. :D

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Retired the Jetta for 3 months or so, bought a 2005 Legacy GT wagon to drive in the winter and have more fun. :D
Is the GT a rare 5 speed?
My son likes them... on the VW front, I found a battery tray from a Golf to swap into the Jetta so the recent H8 battery can be held in better. Now trying to figure out if first cold start of day hard starting is due to the code for bad glowplug or maybe the IP, haven't had warm enough weather to rule out glowplug yet...

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Washed all the mud off of my wagon.

During the process of washing, I chased down a leak that I notice during the recent rains. In the back right, top of the hatch near the hinges, the rubber tube that carries the wiring from the body to the hatch was dislodged from the plastic lip and allowed water to drip inside. I was able to get the grommet seated on the lip and tested it with the hose. Seems to have resolved the leak.

Last edited:

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Dropped off my Jetta to get a new clutch! SBC stage 2 Daily. Once that is done, new nozzles and Stage 3 Malone tune. But today I replaced the serpentine belt tensioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Washed all the mud off of my wagon.

During the process of washing, I chased down a leak that I notice during the recent rains. In the back right, top of the hatch near the hinges, the rubber tube that carries the wiring from the body to the hatch was dislodged from the plastic lip and allowed water to drip inside. I was able to get the grommet seated on the lip and tested it with the hose. Seems to have resolved the leak.
There is a product called JB Super Weld which will hold that grommet in place. And you may find a use for what's left over.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is a product called JB Super Weld which will hold that grommet in place. And you may find a use for what's left over.

Actually, any brand of cyanoacrylate adhesive ("super glue") should work.

I used the original JB Weld to repair a notch worn into the metal latch loop on my Miata's hood. Funny how the latch wore away the metal through vibration but didn't do it to the hardened JB Weld filler!