Brake and Clutch Switches-Cruise Control

ejallison1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU, 97 Passat TDI AAZ, 04 Golf TDI PD, 01 NB TDI ALH
Cruise Control has not worked in quite awhile on my 97 Passat TDI.

Recently replaced my brake light switch due to inoperable brake lights which now function properly. (Is a two wire switch-usually black-have a part # of 191945515B)

In researching this ran across info that there is another switch above the brake switch-usually blue in color-that feeds info to the ECU for the cruise control. Gives info to the ECU (which controls the CC) on the brake pedal position. What is that switch called and does anyone have a part number?

There is also a switch on the clutch pedal. I believe it is part # 1H0927189D that IDParts.com refer to as a clutch pedal cruise control switch. https://www.idparts.com/clutch-pedal-cruise-control-switch-a3b4a4-early-p-3465.html Can someone confirm this is the correct switch for the clutch pedal?

From the research I've done all three switches must be working properly for the cruise control to be operational. I am waiting for the weather to improve and then will hook car up to VCDS and check things out prior to ordering.

For anyone researching this later I came across this excellent thread for using VCDS for cruise control issues: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?

Last question is if the Passat has an interlock or safety mechanism that requires the clutch to be depressed prior to starting the car. Both my Passats will start without depressing the clutch when in neutral. Haven't tried to start the car without depressing the clutch when in gear?? My 98 Jetta does require depressing the clutch prior to starting-changeover year?.

Thanks

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’d start with the cruise stalk. I don’t think any of my TDI’s cc worked 100%, until I removed the stalks, took them apart and cleaned them. They all had decades of corrosion inside. Regreased everything and magically, cc worked perfectly.

This also works for the mirror adjustment switches.

-Todd

Camel413

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagen Totaled, 95 Passat GLX future conversion
Todd when you say yours didnt work 100% can you elaborate? On my car I can set the cruise, I an also use the cruise to accelerate. When I touch the brakes it turns the cruise off. So all that works normal, however the resume function does not work. It can be a pain to have to reset the cruise every time instead of just resume. Could this be fixed by taking my stalk apart and cleaning it?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
100% = perfect... not 100% = not perfect.

I can pretty much guarantee you have a stalk issue. Start by cleaning it.

-Todd

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
98 Jetta clutch switch started acting-up...went to various parts sites and could not find. THIS thread put me in the right place. I didn't realize the switch was primarily called a "cruise control switch".
Thanks for help.
To start car, I had to manually wiggle the switch; a real trick while pressing pedal with my left foot!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
98 Jetta clutch switch started acting-up...went to various parts sites and could not find. THIS thread put me in the right place. I didn't realize the switch was primarily called a "cruise control switch".
Thanks for help.
To start car, I had to manually wiggle the switch; a real trick while pressing pedal with my left foot!
That's why Etka (parts catalog) is really better than what parts houses have to offer for product ID. Most places don't carry all the things needed and often they are misidentified as well.

Steve