2006 Golf TDI - SALVAGE - what is it worth?

GrampaPete

Veteran Member
SE Wisconsin, between Madison and Milwaukee
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon - SOLD
Saw an ad on craiglist for this 2006 Golf TDI, 30K miles. Asking $15K. The owner purchased it wrecked and did all the rebuilding. Has been inspected but not driven much since the rebuild.

Is this a car to consider? What might it be worth?

Thanks,

Peter

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/Taktonic 6sp. transmission, Silver; 1981 Rabbit pick-up
Depends on exactly what the damage did, and what the repairs were. Get more precise information and post again.

GrampaPete said:
Saw an ad on craiglist for this 2006 Golf TDI, 30K miles. Asking $15K. The owner purchased it wrecked and did all the rebuilding. Has been inspected but not driven much since the rebuild.

Is this a car to consider? What might it be worth?

Thanks,

Peter

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I think that price is high for a salvage title. Especially since TDI prices are falling quickly now... The market just isn't there IMO to charge that much...

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Farfromovin said:
I think that price is high for a salvage title. Especially since TDI prices are falling quickly now... The market just isn't there IMO to charge that much...
Rule of thumb is a repaired salvage vehicle in tip top shape is worth 50-60 percent of it's non salvage retail value. If someone does purchase it make sure a detailed inspection is performed.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
That is too high, you can buy an undamaged one for that amount.

Depends entirely on what was damaged and how bad, and the skill of the repair.

Ive purchased and repaied wrecked vehicles before, usually if a vehicle is more than 4 yrs old and gets bumped hard enough to blow the airbags, the ins co will totall it and auction it.

Since the ins co has to buy the bags from the stealership at $1700~ each, replacing the blown bags can easily cost more than 50% of the cars value.

Individiual owners can, in most states replace the bags with bags from other wrecked cars that didnt get discharged, for about $250 each.

Check the title carefully and a CarFax, and look at the police accident report, and pictures taken before the repair started.

If the seller doesnt have any pics or any details, skip it at any price.
Most states pics to get it inspected afterward, so the inspector knows what areas to concentrate on, so if the seller claims he doesnt have any, he is lying.

Most states also do not allow individuals to repair salvage title cars, and get a clean title, you must be a liscensed body shop. If so, the title may not be clean & legal to put back on the road.

I Always take pice before the repair, so if/when I sell it the buyer can see that it really wasent that bad of an accident.