FOB Programming Instructions

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Hello ...
I been searching for a way to program my spare Keyless entry fob to sync and came across this write up , Figured to share
VW Volkswagen keyless entry flip key remote users guide

VW sidewinder flip key application 1998 to 2009
Volkswagen does not have a comprehensive application guide or chart. Nor is their part application of these remotes complete or specific.
Short version:

1998-1999 New Beetle: any HAA key works, 3 button remote = 1J0959753F and 1J0959753T, no immobilizer system
1998 to 2001 Passat: any HAA Key works, 3 button remote 1J0959753F (E = wagon) and 1J0959753T (S = wagon), no immobilizer system
1999 1/2 Golf & Jetta: any HAA key works, 3 button remote = 1J0959753F and 1J0959753T. no immobilizer system
2000 to 2001 Golf & Jetta: any HAA key with rfid chip works, 3 button remote = 1J0959753F and 1J0959753T. yes, immobilizer system
2002 to 2005 New Beetle, Passat, Golf, Jetta: any HAA key with rfid chip works, remote= 1J0959753AM or DC . yes, immobilizer system
2005.5 to 2007 Golf, Jetta; newer HAA key 1T0, remote= 1K0959753H, yes, immobilizer system
2005.5 to 2010 New Beetle; newer HAA key 1T0, remote= 1J0959753AM or DC, yes, immobilizer system
Volkswagens security key system is like the old bug with the cart in front of the horse, you program the car to the key, not the key to the car.
2008 and 2009 are VW dealer only keys, cars are too new, keys have different frequencies and chips than the older cars.

Programing the button REMOTE portion of the key is simple.
You do need 2 keys. You must be able to lock the drivers door and have the red led alarm light next to the lock button blink. If it does not blink, the alarm does not know the door is closed and will not go into program mode. Put one key in the ignition switch, turn on, do not start engine. Close the door, use 2nd key, turn door lock and hold in lock position for 10 seconds. Release key to neutral position. Press a button on the remote, within 2 seconds press the same button again, the turn signal lights will flash,
this indicates your remote matches the car system and is now recognized. Unlock door remove key from ignition.
So don't pay extra 99 cents to $5 for these instructions in hopes of getting the KEY to function with the car.
Instructions are only for the keyless remote, not the key.

The HAA keys are cut by using your serial number to the car (vin dependent) There is a 4 digit key code, unless you are the original owner or you have the black zip tie tag that was attached to the black valet key, you will not have the key code. We use an image of the key cut to verify the code to be cut.
Applications contained here-in are for the Volkswagens in North America. Volkswagen has 7 markets worldwide. Due to frequency licensing in different countries the remotes will have other part numbers similar to USA. Example, the oval 2 button E and the 3 button F in Europe are G and H. Asia uses A and B. They are not interchangeable between countries.
Starting in 1998 with the New Beetle 98-99 and Passat 1998 to 2001.5 (01 Passat serial number 49999 or less), with the Golf IV and Jetta IV 1999.5, the key does not have a computer chip, and does not need the engine computer programed to recognize it. The remote has the oval button HLO 1J0 959 753 F . The remote does not have the chrome bar on the end, only the corner loop to attach to a key ring. This remote will not work with 2002 and newer Volkswagens.
Now available is this vintage look key for the cars without the immobilizer systems or to use as a hide-a-key or emergency key to gain entry to the car if you locked your other keys inside.
Original 1J0959753F application 08/97 to 05/99 do not have transponder computer chip for 06/99 to 05/01 and newer Volkswagens that require one. 1998 and early 1999 cars had banjo Hella remotes. The F and T flip key 3 button remotes ( E and S are 2 button for the wagon) will work with these cars. Replacement 1J0959753F (and E) all have transponder chips. See date codes marked after the part number on the button remote portion of the key. 34/98 = week 34 of 1998
If you have the oval button remote and the batteries keep going dead or with new batteries it won't work. The button gets distorted and keeps the switch under the button pressed, killing the battery. This also prevents it from being programmed. You may have to match the remote to the car if the batteries have been dead too long.
Some models, the transition date is different, look for the yellow car with the key under it when you turn the ignition on.
(second light from the left) Will not do Cabrio, Eurovan or 2005.5 up cars.

key tag that came with the valet / mechanics key.
1J0959753T ( S is the 2 button) original application 10/00 to 05/01 but will work from 08/97 (new beetle) 1999.5 to 05/01 Golf, Jetta, Passat (original may look like F with oval button) Only 1 out of 3 oval button remotes have the transponder chip because only 1 out of 3 are the T version. Even with the chip, a used flip key head cannot be made to start the immobilizer cars unless the chip is new. The chip is a one time use device. Once matched to a car, it belongs to that car.
1J0959753AM original application 06/2001 to 2005 New Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat but will not work on 05/2001 and older cars. Note: AM and DC will work with Eurovan 2001-2004 and will need to be recognized by engine computer.

In 2000 model year (around May 1999) the transition takes place with immobilizer 2, (immo II) the addition of a writable computer chip inside the key portion of the flip key. 2001 is a transition year. The remote changes to the squared buttons but the frequency of the button remote is the same as the older Volkswagens with the oval buttons. This remote will work on the older cars but not the newer cars. HLO 1J0 959 753 T (wagon 2 button is S) It can be programmed to the engine computer but not to the keyless entry of 2002 (May 2001) and newer Volkswagens. It has the newer look with the chrome bar on the end.

Starting late in 2001(June) to 2005 the squared button remote has a more common part number HLO 1J0 959 753 AM (replaced by 1J0959753DC). This remote has a different frequency matched only to Golf IV Jetta IV Passat and New Beetle. It has the chrome bar and a computer chip. You can buy the Vagtacho software from me and do it with your laptop or you will need a VW dealer or Automotive Locksmith to program the engine computer to recognize the key. After the key is cut, it will work in the locks, start the engine, but the engine will shut off as a theft prevention if the engine computer has not been programed to recognize it. This key will work in 2000 and older Volkswagens but the 3 button remote will not. It has a different frequency. Works with Eurovan 2001-2004. This key also works on 2006 TDI Jetta (December 2005) since the diesel production was ending they installed the older keyless systems. Check your remote to match part number.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Please Note that i attempted above manual programing section for my 2006 using one key in the ignition and one in the door lock and no Luck what so ever, I also tried to use VAG-com adaptation procedure i see the turn signal flash to confirm the programing was success , However the spar key fob keyless entry will not operate the lock/unlock , trunk or panic function however the key it self will start the car .... ANY Ideas

I used the same steps shown in this helpful video < Turn signal flashed But fob still will not function >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdakPlMnDr4

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Any ideas?

Just one. There seems to be a limited number of remotes that can be programmed. This number seems to vary with the year of the car. Since your car starts with the key, the immobilizer is good. It is only the remote locking that is giving you trouble. I have had better luck in programming remote functions by first deleting all the remotes (set number of remotes to "0"), and then programming all of the remotes at the same time. This usually works better than trying to add a new remote without deleting the old ones. No guarantees, but this is worth a try.

Have Fun!

Don

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Any ideas?

Just one. There seems to be a limited number of remotes that can be programmed. This number seems to vary with the year of the car. Since your car starts with the key, the immobilizer is good. It is only the remote locking that is giving you trouble. I have had better luck in programming remote functions by first deleting all the remotes (set number of remotes to "0"), and then programming all of the remotes at the same time. This usually works better than trying to add a new remote without deleting the old ones. No guarantees, but this is worth a try.

Have Fun!

Don
We did that as well... No effect.

However when you use the key in question and lock the door manually the alarm get activated and red light blink , therefore it recognize the key but not the Keyless Entry function ..It's like the transmitter on the fob is whack :eek:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
It appears as if it's a Bad Key Fob transmitter , It act like it's programed , System recognize it but when you transmit ..it's nothing. Found a used in good condition OEM unit at a fraction of what the stealertship will charge , Might give it a run and see ....

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
I just bought a new replacement fob with an uncut blade on Ebay. It appears to be OEM with the right numbers, appearance. My local locksmith cut the key and obtained my 4 digit PIN (which was NOT on my key tag, there is a 7 digit code on my 2005 Passat). I used my VagCom to program the immobilizer and all is well with it. I was able to program the remote portion and it locks/unlocks the passenger doors. I thought everything was good until I tried to unlock the liftgate. I tried to use the VagCom to add the remote, but it doesn't let me. It shows the 2 keys in the system but doesn't let me add 1. I thought the remote portion of the FOB was defective, so the Ebay vendor replaced it for me. I haven't tried to program it again yet.

EDIT: I just came in from trying to program the replacement remote. Same result, the liftgate function is not working. Doors lock, unlock, immobilizer functions (car starts), but no liftgate unlock.. I even tried re-adding the keys with the VagCom and the two original keys fully function, but the Ebay key won't open the liftgate. Nuts..

Last edited:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
I just bought a new replacement fob with an uncut blade on Ebay. It appears to be OEM with the right numbers, appearance. My local locksmith cut the key and obtained my 4 digit PIN (which was NOT on my key tag, there is a 7 digit code on my 2005 Passat). I used my VagCom to program the immobilizer and all is well with it. I was able to program the remote portion and it locks/unlocks the passenger doors. I thought everything was good until I tried to unlock the liftgate. I tried to use the VagCom to add the remote, but it doesn't let me. It shows the 2 keys in the system but doesn't let me add 1. I thought the remote portion of the FOB was defective, so the Ebay vendor replaced it for me. I haven't tried to program it again yet.

EDIT: I just came in from trying to program the replacement remote. Same result, the liftgate function is not working. Doors lock, unlock, immobilizer functions (car starts), but no liftgate unlock.. I even tried re-adding the keys with the VagCom and the two original keys fully function, but the Ebay key won't open the liftgate. Nuts..
I ordered Pr owned OEM Key fob which came complete (fob and Key) am only interested to re-program/ re-flash the Fob section i will do it this weekend for the lock/unlock ,Panic & Lift-gate option to mate with My 06 . I chooses to go the Pre-owned OEM to avoid what you mentioned.

When i was looking i was told that all numbers and letters listed on the fob must match so if your fob #'s end with P and you bought H then something will not work , All internal ICU has to be the same ,HLO is the company makes the OEM key Fobs for VW not sure what you have is the OEM or Not ... Or you can live without this function

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
My Local TDI club Member friend and i programed my Pr-owned spare key fob with His Vag-com ..It Worked 100% . We also tuned off the DRL light and reprogrammed the Key fob to control the Window's to go up and down with the remote ..Pretty neat stuff ..Thanks to TDI club Member's ...This place ROCK

turbos10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I am reading all of this and my head is spinning....I just got an 00 Jetta and I have no working key FOBs. I have one that does not work and I have tried batteries with no luck. I would like to have two working FOB's and a valet key if possible. Can someone give me the options on what to buy. I have access to a local guru with Vagcom. I have read that used can work and it can not. Does anyone know the price to get these from a dealer?

BITRBO

TDI
'09 JSW DSG

I'm running into this problem and wondered if anyone found a solution... Took the car to the dealer today to get a new fob programmed, and everything works except when I hit the unlock button the trunk pops, but stays locked... It's like it only half unlocks or something. I have to pull up on the trunk handle and hit the unlock button again in order for it to open. I don't see how this could be fixed using VAGCOM, but maybe someone knows??

munderhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI (Wifes)
Replacement aftermarket fob

I just bought a pair of key less entry remotes for my Wife's 2005 TDI off ebay.
She matched them to car without issue.
Saved quite a bit of coin going this route. Paid 39.99 for the pair shipped!
Thanks to all the info I found here on this forum, I save a lot on repairs.

MU

bigolac

TDI
99 Beetle
Thanks, op! Had to reprogram both fobs when I had the battery out to do a starter replacement.

Good stuff - saved me some money and much needed time!

- Adam

scottb8888

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
New Jetta

Well, not new. I just bought a 2002 Jetta for my son and it came with a worn out fob. I have been reading and as much as I understand is there a way to take the fobs on Ebay and create a couple for our car without going to the dealer??

Dealer said $200

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
For a proper answer you will need to clarify if you are after new fobs (the part that remote-operates the locks) or new keys (the part that let's the car start). One is very easy, the other is pretty much dealer-only without a bunch of special cables and software.

m5sib

TDI
2003 Jetta & 2015 Passat
Does anyone know how to program a new key & key fob without being able to lock the doors? I had one key fob and one regular key(not valet) the key fob fell down a sewer with no way to recover, luckily the car wasn't locked because several years ago someone tried to break into my car and really screwed up my door lock cylinder and haven't been able to use it since so currently I have no way of arming the alarm and locking the door while in the car doesn't make the red light blink...
It's a 2003 Jetta tdi and I would like to get at least one new key fob have it cut and work completely....

Bboggin

TDI
2006 Jetta
Need clarification

So I have a 2006 jetta tdi. My transmitter has on it 1K0 not 1J0. Iread earlier in this thread that the 1K0 will work? Is this true or do I need to get the 1K0? :confused:

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hey guys, my spare keyfob has never worked since I bought my 03 Jetta wagon.

I've tried to start the car with the spare key and it will fire up but then shortly dies with an immobilizer icon on the dash.
From what I've read on the interwebs, the immobilizer in my key is fine but it seems to be that the circuitboard/rest of the fob is the issue.
I've played around with my main and spare key, swapping the batteries and back,bending the contact tabs up a bit but the spare fob won't light up at all when any of the buttons are pressed.

I decided to crack them open and noticed that both circuit boards look different, the one on the left if the spare and the one on the right is my main, working key.

Left key part number is: 1J0959753AM
Right key park number is: 1J0959753DC

Any ideas what I can do? Do I need to buy a new circuit board and reprogram it with my car for it to work?

Does the light turn on even if the key is not reprogrammed to the car or would it always illuminate when any button is pressed?

Thanks!

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys, my spare keyfob has never worked since I bought my 03 Jetta wagon.
I've tried to start the car with the spare key and it will fire up but then shortly dies with an immobilizer icon on the dash.
From what I've read on the interwebs, the immobilizer in my key is fine but it seems to be that the circuitboard/rest of the fob is the issue.
I've played around with my main and spare key, swapping the batteries and back,bending the contact tabs up a bit but the spare fob won't light up at all when any of the buttons are pressed.
I decided to crack them open and noticed that both circuit boards look different, the one on the left if the spare and the one on the right is my main, working key.

Left key part number is: 1J0959753AM
Right key park number is: 1J0959753DC
Any ideas what I can do? Do I need to buy a new circuit board and reprogram it with my car for it to work?
Does the light turn on even if the key is not reprogrammed to the car or would it always illuminate when any button is pressed?
Thanks!

immobilizer must be programed by the dealer no other way around it .... This portion of the key fob doesn't have any thing to do with starting you car . there is a snap chip under key blade end that must be paired at the dealer to your car

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
immobilizer must be programed by the dealer no other way around it .... This portion of the key fob doesn't have any thing to do with starting you car . there is a snap chip under key blade end that must be paired at the dealer to your car

Ohh, that makes some sense now. I guess if my keyfob was bad and the immobilizer chip good, then the car would have started.

Balls...I thought this was going to be a easy fix :-(

But that still doesn't explain why the keyfob itself doesn't light up when any buttons are pressed. I have replaced the battery, using my battery from my working fob and there are no signs of life on it :-(

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Ohh, that makes some sense now. I guess if my keyfob was bad and the immobilizer chip good, then the car would have started.

Balls...I thought this was going to be a easy fix :-(

But that still doesn't explain why the keyfob itself doesn't light up when any buttons are pressed. I have replaced the battery, using my battery from my working fob and there are no signs of life on it :-(

Key fob must be paired and sync either with a vag comm or Manually by placing one in the ignition to the on position ( the one is working ) and the other one ( the one need programed ) in the driver door . Turn the one in the door clock wise and hold for 5 sec until the fob will blink and you will hear the audible tone

As far as the Imm it must be towed to the dealer and since you will be there and have the pleasure to deal with them ask them to program the key fob since you are paying them any way

Try this

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_IV_Key_Matching

For future reference when buying a key fob make sure you buy the same serial number , The one you posted might or might not work

Last edited:

MMMiles

TDI
2000 ALH
Bringing up old thread here.
i have a 99.5, original fob 1J0 959 753 F no immobilzer. I have looked online and frequency should be 315mhz?

i read the 1J0 959 753 T also have 315mhz. Can I use this fob on my 99.5 And make the 3 buttons work Too?
I want the 02+ style key shell for durability and key hook. (And using cr2032 battery seems easier to find)

thanks

Last edited:

jlmcooldude

TDI
2002 Beetle GLS, TDI, 5 speed manual, ALH
I'm running into this problem and wondered if anyone found a solution... Took the car to the dealer today to get a new fob programmed, and everything works except when I hit the unlock button the trunk pops, but stays locked... It's like it only half unlocks or something. I have to pull up on the trunk handle and hit the unlock button again in order for it to open. I don't see how this could be fixed using VAGCOM, but maybe someone knows??
I know this is an old thread, but in case this helps anyone, I’m replying. I had the same issue of the hatch release button releasing the latch but not allowing the hatch to open. It was weak lift struts. They wouldn’t lift the hatch quite far enough when the latch was released to clear the latch hook before it allowed the latch to reset. (Hope that makes sense). If I would get back there really quick I could lift the hatch, but otherwise it would be unlatched but still not able to lift it. Replacing my lift struts for the rear hatch solved my problem. It has nothing to do with the latch itself. Hope this helps someone!