Radio anti-theft code won't work

Cerberus

TDI
1999 Jetta
I have a 1999 (early model) Jetta TDI. After having to disconnect the battery for some work I find the radio code will not work. I am entering the right code as I have done many times before but it only returns to SAFE and after 2 tries you have to wait an hour to try again. I'm stumped.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

jellendc

TDI
2002 Jetta TDi
This worked on my MK4, not sure about yours but it may be worth a try. Got the tip from a fellow forum member...

Pull out fuse 42 and 37 from the drivers side door fuse panel, with the key in the on position. This will reset the radio

Cerberus

TDI
1999 Jetta
This worked on my MK4, not sure about yours but it may be worth a try. Got the tip from a fellow forum member...

Pull out fuse 42 and 37 from the drivers side door fuse panel, with the key in the on position. This will reset the radio
Thanks for the info. However my fusebox is different having only 22 fuses, no. 22 is for the radio. Tried pulling it out but still no change.
I appreciate your attempt to help. Thank you.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Are you sure the code you have is correct?

It seems as though you are using the correct procedure but the radio is not accepting the code since it is locking down after entering the code twice.

Double check the 14 digit serial number on the radio card to the serial number on the radio.

If they do not match, the code is wrong.

vwa1

Veteran Member
TDI
1982 Rabbit Turbo Diesel. I think it counts! Please don't banish me to the Vortex!
When all else fails, i find that beating the @%$%$ of something with a 12lb sledge hammer is at the very least satisfying, if not always the most productive. You may want to save this method as a last resort.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
I've had radios that would not take the correct code and never got them working.

You may want to try a full discharge and try again though.

Cerberus

TDI
1999 Jetta
Fixmy59bug: I'm sure it is the right code as I have it written on the visor and have used it many times before.

joetdi: Full discharge? Do you mean disconnect the battery and try again? I've already done that and no luck.

vwa1: Your hammer method is looking better all the time, I only have an 8 pound sledge hammer but I think that should do the trick.

Thanks to all.