Chevy 50 MPG Diesel coming in 2013

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
MPBsr: You misread.

German_1er_diesel's assertion is that Cruzes are not produced in Europe.

My understanding is, the Cruzes sold in Europe are made by GM Daewoo, in South Korea, which is not in Europe.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Too bad this isn't available here:

Honda Civic i-DTEC

Click to enlarge picture

The rather boring, conservative styling on U.S. Civics, which Honda is already altering after heavy criticism, is nothing like the wild, space-age hatchback that Europeans enjoy. If sold here, it would handily beat the Civic Hybrid by many miles on the highway. The European Civic's 2.2-liter 4-cylinder diesel engine is rated at 67 mpg on European test cycles and packs a healthy 258 lb-ft of torque that leaves the U.S. Si performance trim in shame. Honda hasn't certified this engine for the U.S., but with the upcoming Chevrolet Cruze diesel, we imagine it's having second thoughts.
Shopping for a new or used car, or just dreaming about that new ride? Try MSN Autos' powerful new Decision Guide.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
With their big push in hybrids, I think that Honda and Toyota will be the last ones to offer diesels in North America.

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Actually I read somewhere that Honda was dropping their Diesel program to work on their hybrid technology. I really don't see batteries as a good answer until there is a better way to charge them and there are much better and cleaner ways of making the batteries.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I think he meant that Honda was, at one point, dipping their toes in the water of the US diesel market. Now they are firmly out of that market and are focusing on hybrids for the USA, but still bringing diesels to markets with less onerous emissions regulations.

craigpaul2000

TDI
2001, TDI jetta, silver...2006 TDI Jetta, White (SOLD)......2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, Blue
The diesel Cruze will be released for MY13. Not sure where the information in this article came from but they are targeting 36 mpg hwy.
I for one am excited to get more diesels on the road, whether it be VW or Chevy or whatever. It's about time America realizes the future of better fuel economy lies in the diesel, not hybrids.

ps....my Passat TDI gets better fuel economy than a Smart Car. Oh, and I could tow it. yay.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Chevy has always talked about 40+ for the mileage. I've assumed they were using the European test, not EPA. Especially since they do not have the engine designed finished or approved.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I wonder if Ford will bring their Focus CMax or whatever it is over here with the diesel if other competitors do first?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any "new" engine will have to pass the EPA/CARB hurdles. Ford may bring it over IF the cruze diesel sells in decent numbers. I would think it would need to sell in the 10 - 15% of total cruze sales for GM to consider it a sucess.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I recall some press about a year age from Honda about a high-efficiency diesel it was developing and slated to go into US-bound CRV's, but then they later announced that it would not be happening. It had test sled data that put it's efficiency just slightly better than VW's TDI offerings.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you saw that a year ago, then it was already at least two years old. Honda started talking about bringing diesels that would meet the new standards to the states in 2006. I think the project was completely dead by 2010.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
In the article, there was a picture of the fully developed engine. Quite likely the engine IS now in Honda vehicles, just not in the US. Sad.....

aellen

TDI
jetta 06
gm revisited

I doubt that GM had a real diesel developed for the '70's or they would have lasted more than 20000 miles. Here is just another attempt of big fat business to fail to recognise demand, and now they are late to the party. So they put out a stupid press release in an attempt to get prospective buyers not to buythe competition until they deliver their version of " tomorrow" LOL

american fat corporate genius at its finest........LOL

I smell another bailout coming.

ChasSidwa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006.5, Silver Diesel Edition
See my signature. The Volt is working for me. I have never owned a car that requires so little maintenace(hope I didn't jinx myself). I do look forward to more diesel choices and CNG choices.

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
" The Volt is working for me. I have never owned a car that requires so little maintenace(hope I didn't jinx myself)."

Other then an oil change or two, what other maintenance would be required on ANY new car?

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
" The Volt is working for me. I have never owned a car that requires so little maintenace(hope I didn't jinx myself)."

Other then an oil change or two, what other maintenance would be required on ANY new car?
On most new cars.....none.

On a Jetta TDI...Turbo failure, HPFP imploding, etc...LOL

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Really, what's the big deal. The 62.5mpg (US standard, not Imperial) Passat Blue Motion is already being sold in the UK.

Unfort, the powers that be won't allow VW to sell it in the USA.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Keep in mind that that's NEDC, not EPA.

A manual 140PS Golf gets 6.1/4.8/4.1 l/100 km urban/combined/extra-urban on the NEDC cycle. DSG gets 6.7/5.3/4.5. Those figures in mpUSg are 38.6/49.0/57.4 and 35.1/44.4/52.3 respectively.

Meanwhile, our Golf gets 30/34/42. Some of that is due to emissions tuning, some is due to the massive difference between test cycles (NEDC is very optimistic on diesels, EPA is very pessimistic on diesels and manual transmissions).