What did you do to your MK7 today?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
A few weeks ago I dropped a tool off to get repaired and grabbed a store flyer and put it on my front seat, thinking nothing of it. Last week I moved the flyer,and discovered that some of the ink had transferred to my seat:mad::mad::mad:( this after a few 90 degree days also)-red, blue and black colors. I looked in owners manual to see what can be used on leatherette- only recommends water and mild detergent. I tried that, but no success. Next I tried some Armor All leather protectant(cleaner and conditioner)- took a little bit off, but the ink was still there. My last resort, I decided to try some WD-40 on a rag to try and get it removed. It worked!!! I tried the smallest spot first to make sure it didn't itself stain the leatherette-after I rubbed it on the mark and it disappeared without leaving a mark, I went ahead and used it on the remaining ink marks. I then followed that by using the armor all, good as new again. Disclaimer time;)- use at your own risk! This was used on 2015 leatherette seats, don't know how it would turn out on older or newer seats, or what other types of coverings, if the WD-40 would leave a stain on your seat or surface, I don't know. Just figured I'd post this in case anyone else that has a stubborn stain they wanted to try a last resort attempt on....

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
A few weeks ago I dropped a tool off to get repaired and grabbed a store flyer and put it on my front seat, thinking nothing of it. Last week I moved the flyer,and discovered that some of the ink had transferred to my seat:mad::mad::mad:( this after a few 90 degree days also)-red, blue and black colors. I looked in owners manual to see what can be used on leatherette- only recommends water and mild detergent. I tried that, but no success. Next I tried some Armor All leather protectant(cleaner and conditioner)- took a little bit off, but the ink was still there. My last resort, I decided to try some WD-40 on a rag to try and get it removed. It worked!!! I tried the smallest spot first to make sure it didn't itself stain the leatherette-after I rubbed it on the mark and it disappeared without leaving a mark, I went ahead and used it on the remaining ink marks. I then followed that by using the armor all, good as new again. Disclaimer time;)- use at your own risk! This was used on 2015 leatherette seats, don't know how it would turn out on older or newer seats, or what other types of coverings, if the WD-40 would leave a stain on your seat or surface, I don't know. Just figured I'd post this in case anyone else that has a stubborn stain they wanted to try a last resort attempt on....
Nice, and better then what me and my old man nearly had happen to us...

Old 1ton dodge and vinyl seat, out sawing wood in the winter. Left a 2 liter with label peeled off full of water on the seat.

Nice sunny day..

Came back for some water and the cab was filled was white thick smoke!

The water focused the sunlight and was in the process of. Burning a hole in the seat!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Nice, and better then what me and my old man nearly had happen to us...
Old 1ton dodge and vinyl seat, out sawing wood in the winter. Left a 2 liter with label peeled off full of water on the seat.
Nice sunny day..
Came back for some water and the cab was filled was white thick smoke!
The water focused the sunlight and was in the process of. Burning a hole in the seat!
Supposedly this is why perfectly spherical aquariums are no longer sold. They set too many houses on fire. This may be the old tale of wives or a tale of old wives. I get so confused! :)

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Honestly I think it didn't fully take off because once the cab filled I set set smoke it choked out the sunlight.

It was so random and unbelievable. Somewhere when we scrapped the truck I took a 6" hole saw and punched out the burned hole.

It's somewhere in the garage. If I find it I'll take a photo.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Took off Whhels to detail. Painted Brake Calipers , could not stand the tin foil color any longer. Also painted the wide area of Brake Rotor.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Inline heater in! Also balanced factory rubber. Almost 30k and finally getting some out of round. Bought a big box of stick ons. Discount wanted $50 to balance them! $17 bought me stick ons for the next 2 vehicles...

Unfortunately ran out of time to install my fancy bumper plug.

And now, spending Sunday to drive a well point...

No worry, 3hp Briggs, some rope, a pulley, and a tri pod over the hole, and a 300# weight....

12oz curls driving 300#, a tug and 1/4 inch at a time...

Edit

Terry's factory hose clamp on top of heater is loose as a goose.

Trashed it and used a good old school proven stainless screw hose clamp.

Terrible....

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Installed ESC Tuning Jâck Pads
FYI they are "ESC assembled" OEM jack pads, quite handy and also cheaper if you source directly from europe, snagged mine for about $50 + $13ish shipping.

check out golf daves DIY over at Mk7 forum.

xDieselxTunerx

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL, 2010 BMW 335d, 2014 BMW 535d
Did your VW come with the adaptive cruise control/breaking in the front grill?

Our GSW has that same sensor in the front because it came with the driver assistance package. It's just for front collision warning, I wish it was for adaptive cruise control.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Our GSW has that same sensor in the front because it came with the driver assistance package. It's just for front collision warning, I wish it was for adaptive cruise control.
I bought a steering wheel (for the shift paddles - we didn't get those in Canada), and it had ACC buttons instead of standard cruise control. I thought that maybe I could re-code things with VCDS to enable ACC given that I had that front sensor in the bumper...but no go. Ross-Tech forums seemed to indicate there was no way / no how.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
I bought a steering wheel (for the shift paddles - we didn't get those in Canada), and it had ACC buttons instead of standard cruise control. I thought that maybe I could re-code things with VCDS to enable ACC given that I had that front sensor in the bumper...but no go. Ross-Tech forums seemed to indicate there was no way / no how.
Was there any luck with getting the shifters to work? I was thinking of getting mine changed too.

CruisingWagon

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI S
Good to know. On a similar note (just for regular cleaning, maybe not your ink issue) a magic eraser works wonders. Plus, hearing your anecdote makes me love my "pleather" even more. Durable, easy to clean and I swear it feels more real than the "real leather" some car manufacturer's put in their cars.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I moved the lawnmower. Apparently not far enough.

It's a good whack. Couldn't I just clean it good and seal it to prevent rust in the meantime?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I was driving in a neighbourhood and hear a crazy loud bang. I pulled over and found this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nuErNuSFq75jDeyn8

After thinking about it for a while I think someone may have hit the car with a pellet gun!

I took a sharpening stone and filed down the rough parts and then hit it with some touch up paint. Hopefully it holds.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Interesting. Now I remember reading about this. I've never seen it on any of my cars, but they spend a lot of their lives inside. And I am a bit of a fanatic about having them detailed.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Guess I'll hit mine with some rubbing alcohol and smuck some touch up paint on it.

It's down to the metal unfortunately. I heard the stone over the mower running.

So F'in mad....

STLTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI SE
Sold my MK7 Golf Sportwagen TDI today. We bought the wife a new SUV over the summer that now functions as our vacation/roadtrip vehicle. The other shoe dropped when I changed my job in July and now work from home. Just didn’t have the need for a diesel anymore driving 10 miles per day all city. Amazing car, but someone will get it who can put the miles on and keep the MPGs high. :eek:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Received my Badgeskins order in the mail today and put the German flag colors on. Hadn't thought about it before, but it now matches my Pride of Baltimore II license plates...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Filled it up. 48.3 MPG on this tank, best ever. Must be starting to break in.

I still haven't put any Adblue in this car (10,500 miles on it). How much are people adding at the 10K service?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
...I still haven't put any Adblue in this car (10,500 miles on it). How much are people adding at the 10K service?
I just waited for the warning light to come on and then dumped in the entire 2.5 gallon jug. ~15K miles

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I squeezed 14k miles before adblue warning got persistently angry.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Filled it up. 48.3 MPG on this tank, best ever. Must be starting to break in.

I still haven't put any Adblue in this car (10,500 miles on it). How much are people adding at the 10K service?

were at almost 26K and so far only 2.5gal plus a Krus bottle (1.5L) have gone into the Passat, I figure the warning will go off anytime, if not 2.5 gal will get added at 30K when I drop the oil.

armando_m

TDI
2016 Golf sportwagen
Picked up this 2016 model with 100kms on the odometer
USA model sold in méxico
6 speed manual, cloth seats

added some decoration

also exhaust tips and mud flaps
so far the engine feels very tight
It has a very nice smooth and silent ride

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Used it to compact and level the yard.

Never done so much drinking and driving, legally...

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Picked up this 2016 model with 100kms on the odometer
USA model sold in méxico
6 speed manual, cloth seats

added some decoration

also exhaust tips and mud flaps
so far the engine feels very tight
It has a very nice smooth and silent ride
The shine under the dash! Where did you find those?

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I hope you get some use out of it. I had it in my 2016 GTI (just sold yesterday) and I never once used App Connect. I navigate with Waze on an iPhone and with CarPlay's refusal to support Waze, it was useless to me.

Also, if you want some nice sound, get the Helix soundbox. I have it in my GSW and had one in my GTI as well. Great upgrade.
BTW, now I have Google Maps and Waze working in CarPlay. Sweet!

Later Edit: And Sygic, the famous offline navigation app!

Last edited: