No power at 12 volt outlets, no blown fuses

iefstath

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Both front and rear 12 volt outlets just stopped working, there is no Fuse map but from what I can tell there are no blown fuses either under the dash or under the hood. The dealer was less than helpful, unless I wanted to leave the car all day.

Any ideas?

The67beast

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi w/ nav
Both front and rear 12 volt outlets just stopped working, there is no Fuse map but from what I can tell there are no blown fuses either under the dash or under the hood. The dealer was less than helpful, unless I wanted to leave the car all day.

Any ideas?
Call the Dealer and ask for a fuse map printout or do what I did when I lost some power. Start pulling fuses one by one.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
How did you test the fuses? Not knowing which one it is you'd have to put an ohm meter on every one. Keep in mind it's possible for a fuse to 'look' OK and be blown.

Fuses aside, I think leaving it with the dealer is your best choice. Most likely a loose connector or bad pin termination. Either way someone has to open-up the console, fuse block and numerous wire looms.

Last edited:

The67beast

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi w/ nav
Just start pulling them. It will take you all of 15 minutes. Pull it and if it looks good move on to the next. Then let is sit at the dealer for a day.

iefstath

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Dealer gave me a 10 page print out for wiring, turns out the fuse was blown but it did not break in the middle and passed my initial overview. We'll see if this is a reoccurring event.

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I had the fuse blow for my 12v outlets as well. The dealer told me that they had seen a few others do the same. His advice was to make sure nothing was plugged in when you started the car to try to prevent it from happening again. I don't know that it will make any difference, but it's easy enough so I've followed that advice.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
what's the rating of the fuse?

also you guys have anything plugged in to your outlets?

maybe there's a short someplace down stream of the fuse and the blown fuse won't fix your problem. Try and snag a metter and see if the two leads of the fuse socket, are shorted to each other or ground.

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
also you guys have anything plugged in to your outlets?
I had 2 phone chargers, a GPS and a Nintendo DS charger plugged into mine when it blew, so I probably overloaded it. We were on a 13 hour road trip at the time and I've not had more than a phone charger and the DS charger plugged into it at one time since. I do make sure that I unplug my phone charger when I'm done with it, just in case.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
This is a red flag in my book. All those devices combined should not exceed a 3½ amp draw and IIRC these outlets typically have a 10A fuse. With that said, I'm guessing a decent sized AC inverter will pop fuses within 10 seconds.

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
I forgot to mention that I did have an inverter plugged in at times as well. It didn't stay plugged in the whole time though.