What did you do to your MKIV today?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Well heck there partner, a little bailing wire and some black paint would have set you right. j/k. Yesterday, (not today) I re-installed my Stage 3 tune that was modified to run 24 PSI on a 3 bar MAP sensor. I have been getting a solid 38 MPG with my Stage 4 tune, and I want to see what the Stage 3 will do. Granted it does not have the power the Stage 4 does, so I will see what the FE will be with this tune.

EDIT: The tune is still Stage 3 (18 PSI) made 3 bar MAP sensor friendly-I was wondering where the power went, now I know.
Even though the tune was written for .205 nozzles, there is little to no smoke with the .216's. A much cleaner tune than the Stage 4 is. I guess the biggest thing I noticed so far there is no noticeable turbo lag compared to the Stage 4 tune even with a much larger turbo than the Stage 3 tune was written for. There are some members here with the exact same turbo I have and none have said they have not noticed any lag, but they have noticed a lot shorter boost curve.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That kind of thing is normal in the Northeast. Or the upper midwest. If the poster lives near the water in FL, same issues. Not like California. My son is coming out this weekend to replace a rusted and broken hangar on his exhaust, coincidentally.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I guess I should be thankful for living in Cali...then again, our car laws and taxes are amongst the least desirable things of Cali. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My inlaws (and now my daughter) live in LA. I used to complain that my mother in law worked for the LA chamber of commerce: she was always comparing weather between there and Massachusetts. I lived there for two years, love visiting, wouldn't live there again. I'm OK with the winter and rust.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
That kind of thing is normal in the Northeast. Or the upper midwest. If the poster lives near the water in FL, same issues. Not like California. My son is coming out this weekend to replace a rusted and broken hangar on his exhaust, coincidentally.
Yep, did that last week myself - the one on the rear of my muffler snapped off, I replaced it with a "universal wire hanger" and a 1 7/8" stainless u-clamp around one of the two "exit nozzles".

Have to add a small cable clamp this weekend, though, the rod of the new hanger is slightly smaller than the original one so it's loose in the rubber isolator, allowing the muffler to slide side-to-side and make occasional clanking noises. Have a worm-gear hose clamp locking that down until the weekend.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Drove to CT this AM to pick up an NMS Passat hood. Had someone measure one on a car (I wasn't present) before going, and determined it wouldn't fit in IBW. So I dug the roof crossbars out of my garage and drove down there, somewhat dreading the ride home with it on top. Once I saw it I thought it would fit inside, and, of course it did, no problem.

MKIV Jetta Wagons are invincible.

Oh, and I filled it up on the way home, first full tank since the new IP and TB. 47.3 in my usual 75-80 MPH driving and more than a little stop and go traffic. Guess the pump is OK.

Last edited:

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Holy cow where do you all live to see this much rust!?!?!
I'm not sure why that one piece rusted out so bad. The rest of the car has relatively little rust.

Edit to add: Also today I replaced the rear brake pads & rotors. While I was at it, I also cleaned up the calipers and brackets, and painted them black. I didn't think to take any photos.

Last edited:

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Guys, what do I need to keep in mind if I want to move up to a 17” wheel on my Jetta? [emoji848]

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Guys, what do I need to keep in mind if I want to move up to a 17” wheel on my Jetta? [emoji848]

The short answer is you want 16" rims, NOT 17".

Better handling, better for your suspension, better tire selection,
better cost,,,,,, etc etc.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What he said. I love 15s for a number of reasons, but the tire selection is so much better with 16s.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Added 10hp with one single mod alone! Check it out!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You have to request it, I got mine at Cascade German when I was getting my tune done, just took me this long to get.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
You'll probably need hub centric rings.

My Jetta has 17x7" wheels with 40mm offset. They fit nicely. Also, 205/50/R17 tires are almost exactly the same overall diameter as stock.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Had the Maryland Vehicle Safety Inspection performed so I can register it in the state. The mechanic commented on how good of shape everything is. Only two little issues to clean up, a small leak at an exhaust clamp and a speedometer issue that I thought I fixed two months ago.

I put a new VSS in two months ago and the issue of the speedo dropping out went away. When he drove it the speedo wouldn't register anything. I think it might be electrical given that as soon as I turn the headlights on the speedo comes to life and when they are turned off the speedo dies. I have 30 days or 1000 miles to figure it out before the entire car needs to be reinspected thankfully.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
For the first time since I’ve owned the car I broke 1000km on a tank of fuel. First half was a road trip, the rest was my 50km commute.

And yesterday I put my 18” summer wheels. I’m not sure what offset they are, but they fit nice with the 225/40r18’s.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
And yesterday I put my 18” summer wheels. I’m not sure what offset they are, but they fit nice with the 225/40r18’s.
I guess spring comes earlier in Alberta than in Minnesota. I'm waiting two more weeks to swap out the winter tires.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
It was June last year that I put them on, and October that I took them off. This year just turned nicer early (last time I remember it being this nice this time of year was about 12 years ago) I have also already driven in snow with these once, and they weren’t all that bad.

Kryptic_361

TDI
02 Jetta ALH
Forgot to get a picture. But I was greeted by a tensioner pulley exploding when I started the car this morning. Bearing was all good but the plastic piece was what shattered.

Next step is to fix my check engine light for a glow plug short or open

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
For the first time since I’ve owned the car I broke 1000km on a tank of fuel. First half was a road trip, the rest was my 50km commute.

I'm fascinated and confused why the 50kmph is red? Correct? Or?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk