2017 Cruze Diesel

scottd

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan 5spd, Platinum Gray
I was doing a little research on the Cruze 1.6L Diesel. Now that it is offered in a stick version and gets good MPG I was wondering if anyone is looking at this car.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Sedan or hatch?

Same engine will be available in Equinox. No manual though.

Or you could step up to a baby duramax in Colorado or Canyon. ZR2 Colorado is interesting and is offered with diesel.

Surprised the Silverado 1/2 ton is gas only.

GM has a selection of oil burners. Wonder if this will continue without Opel engineering?

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Did Car and Driver get that information about $4-$5 of DEF every 1000 miles correct? That seems like a lot of DEF!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
1000 mi would represent about 25-30 gal of fuel and at the normal (non-cheating!) DPF usage rate of about 3% of the fuel consumption, that's about 1 gal of DEF, the cost of which is not a million miles away from the $4 - $5 estimate.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Congratulations to Detroit for bringing us a new and exciting clean diesel car for 2017. The review is not so kind to the car that the engine and 9 speed auto is in, but it will be offered on other models soon too with what may be rave reviews. For now any new, technologically refreshed clean diesel car in NA is good news. Mercedes take note, there is a vibrant diesel market here you need to take your place in. The Car and Driver review points out how quiet this engine is. I hope that settles that question. As GoFaster said, it has innovative refinement of injection. This gives gains in quiet as well as power and efficiency. and C&D praises this engine with the 9 speed auto.

Last edited:

jerryfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS sedan @295K, 99 Jetta sedan 275k,. 2015 tdi sedan, 105k
52 mpg with 200 lb-ft of torque at 1500 rpm

sign me up.....

jerryfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS sedan @295K, 99 Jetta sedan 275k,. 2015 tdi sedan, 105k
The Chevy’s cabin, though vastly improved over GM small-car interiors of yore, also lags behind VW’s impeccable interior quality.

lol sure. hopefully they doubled up on replacement console armrests and glovebox doors

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
I'm intrigued, just thinking of all my spare parts and tdi specific tools I already have for the ALH.

As much as I would love not having to worry about keeping it going I can still probably get another 150,000 miles and finish at the big 500k. I'm sure my wife would miss the vw tdi as well, I've had one since before we got together and she's used to the quirks and my frustrations at times. LOL

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
Cruze diesel test drive

I was at the GMC ,Chevy dealer getting my pickup serviced and had some time to kill. Talked to a salesman about Cruze diesel and he said they had 5 or 6 of them and would I like to drive one. I was pleasantly surprised it was the 9 speed
auto I drove. It rode very nice and was quicker than I thought a 1.6 liter would
be.Maybe a little quicker than my 2010 Jetta Tdi. Seats were comfortable too.
All in all a nice little car. I'm waiting for the Mazda Cx 5 diesel to come out then
will decide which one to buy.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
I've had a chance to drive a cruize 1.6 with the 9 speed auto from Austin to Temple on TX hwy with 75 mph speed limit(outside the Austin city limits).
Traffic was moving 80mph some 85.
The cruize was revving at ~2000 RPM at 80mph. In my book it is fantastic.
Doing some quick pass I was surprised how quickly it gained passing speed even at 80 mph.
my average mpg at mostly (85 mph) was 45 mpg..on a new, not yet broken in diesel with 6 miles on the odometer.
At 70-75 I was above 50mpg.
The car handled very well at that speed, planted and straight as an arrow.
infotainment system is years ahead of VW.
It had a stupid auto stop/start at red light... so dumb. I am sure it can be turned off.

Need to figure out if I want manual or auto. I liked the 9 speed seemless, quick.
Have not driven the manual.
I would like the hatch.
Dislike was lack of lumbar support.

It will be my new daily driver- after GM comes to it senses and brings its price to reality- close to $20K. for base model.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
Charley I think the diesel Cruze is only available in the higher trim levels.The one I drove had a list price of over$29k if I remember correctly.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
You are correct,
LT trim level was the one I drove and it was $29K after dealer discount $27K.
Still way too high, for a chevy cruise.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The article says that the base price on the Cruze diesel is $24,670. They note that this is very close to the average buyback price for a '15 Jetta.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
Plenty of new '17 Cruze LT diesel manuals around me at an average asking price of $22K. Might have to check them out.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
I guess the big questions are: What is the price difference between it and an equivalently speced gas model out the door? Will you recover that in fuel economy? (probably not) will it be more reliable? (based on every other DEF system on the market... probably not)

Would obviously like to see these sell well, but I doubt they're going to have much impact. The most popular buyback replacement cars based on some polls I've seen on facebook groups etc were

-Another VW, most commonly the 1.8T golf/jetta. Lots of alltrack mentions
- Hondas
- Subarus
- Toyotas
- Fords
- Mazda CX5 diesel was a very clear crowd pleaser
- MK4 TDIs
- Odd mention of the chevy cruze, but less frequently than the 328D. Far more talk of the chevy volt.

Here's one poll for example, talk seems fairly consistent across groups.
https://i.gyazo.com/499b8ee5393d75d6e404f0cc02da2d82.png

Been watching this fairly closely as we've been diversifying. The idea of a manual CX5 diesel does sound somewhat appealing, wouldn't be much heavier than the 3 series and probably more fun to drive given how BMW has gone.

Manual wagons might be solid, but I'd be willing to bet they'll be unicorns. The average consumer of low-mid range Chevy products and rental fleets likely won't be seriously looking at the diesel option when the gas model will have cheaper more readily available parts thanks to cross-platform parts binning, and won't require the special care of newer diesels.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Thanks Owain@malonetuning for this information. From what I read the Mazda strategy will be to sell the CX-5 diesel (IF they ever bring it to the US) in the most expensive trim.

This, in my humble view, is an unwise move: premium for a diesel passenger car + most expensive trim + higher diesel maintenance costs = negative cost/benefit outcome for a non-luxury vehicle :-(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Keep in mind that diesel is no longer a way to save money. It's a choice people make for driving characteristics, range, whatever. Premium trim with diesels will make sense to a lot of buyers, even if those buyers don't frequent this site.

Look at how many people here, even, are trading their MKVI TDIs for BMWs. My BMW is crazy fast, very comfortable, and a better highway cruiser than any VW I've owned. But I doubt it will save me any money.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
Keep in mind that diesel is no longer a way to save money. It's a choice people make for driving characteristics, ....
Just did a quick math on this,with current fuel prices in my area.
Considering my long commute of 150 miles round trip 4 times/week or about 20,000 miles a year, plus another 10,000 miles for other driving. Calculated 30K miles /year.
regular gas $2/gal 35 mpg, on hwy. vs. diesel at 50mpg. diesel costing about $2.20/gal = ~$400 saving in fuel cost annuallyusing diesel.
My current gasser (honda) will run on walmart mobil1 oil and filter.
After owning 4 VW TDIs I do not feel like going back to it.
Considering the need for special "VW spec only" oil for engine and trans (DSG) servicing.
VW GTI is of interest Or it maybe the diesel Chevy Cuise, if the price comes down.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Based on what people are reporting here, if you expect to see 50 MPG in a GSW with DSG, you'd probably see over 40 in a 1.8T GSW. I think the difference in purchase price and maintenance costs would consume any fuel cost savings. Of course if gasoline goes back to $4/gallon, it's another story. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Keep in mind that diesel is no longer a way to save money. It's a choice people make for driving characteristics, range, whatever. Premium trim with diesels will make sense to a lot of buyers, even if those buyers don't frequent this site.

Look at how many people here, even, are trading their MKVI TDIs for BMWs. My BMW is crazy fast, very comfortable, and a better highway cruiser than any VW I've owned. But I doubt it will save me any money.
True and the American way is to look at your monthly payments; who cares if you spend $29000 or $39000 out the door if you can 'afford' the monthly payments.

Overall I think the new Cruze diesel has better chances of being economically sustainable for GM than Mazda's strategy with the potential 2018 CX-5 diesel in North America.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
My problem was that it was not available at all in late February when I sold back my JSW. Then the first model that they put out was the sedan. They still haven't put out the hatchback. No cruise control would have been a deal breaker also. Like Planecrazy, my driving still no longer favors a diesel. I miss the torque, I don't miss expensive repairs.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
Can somebody explain the comment about lack of cruise control on all but the top end package on the Cruse? I'm not seeing this issue as they all seem to have it on the LT package which is the standard package with the diesel powertrain.