IDParts.com 2018 Cold Start Contest!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI

The IDParts.com 2018 Cold Start Contest is Happening Right Now!

Watch the 2018 Submissions Here!

We are awarding over $500 in gift vouchers to the winners of the 2018 Cold Start Contest. Participating in the cold start contest is easy: film yourself starting your diesel in the cold, upload it to YouTube and send us a link! If the video meets the requirements below, your video will be added to our 2018 Cold Start Contest playlist and you will be officially entered to win. We look forward to seeing all the entries! Hurry, the 2018 IDParts Cold Start Contest ends at the end of this month!

How to enter:
1. Take a video of your car starting in the cold (be sure to follow the guidelines below)
2. Upload it to YouTube
3. E-mail the link to the video to coldstartcontest@idparts.com

Prizes:
We will award a $100 gift certificate to 5 winners, each in their own category.

2018 Cold Start Contest Categories:
  • Coldest Temperature Start (video must show thermometer in video)
  • Most FAIL (the car that struggles the most and still fails to start)
  • Most Dramatic (the car that struggles the most but succeeds)
  • Most Creative Video
  • Oldest Vehicle to Start Below 32F

Important Rules
Only one win per person. For example, this means that same person cannot win for both Coldest Temperature and for Most FAIL video.
To be officially entered your video must meet the following requirements:
  1. You must say in your video: “This video is for the 2018 IDParts.com Cold Start Contest.”
  2. You must identify your vehicle, year-make-model, and any modifications, including add-ons like FrostHeaters.
  3. You must state the temperature. (To be considered for the coldest temperature start the temperature must be shown on a thermometer in the video).
  4. You must upload the video to YouTube.com and it must be publicly visible.

We look forward to seeing your submissions!

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Seriously. February is typically reliably cold and is also the snowiest month. That freak cold spell in early January would have been much better for the contest this year...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I thought about doing this back in January when we had some -10 to -20+ degree mornings. My 05 with its new idparts OEM cam , Valero starter and Bosch glow plugs has been starting so well this winter I’ve only plugged in the frost heater 3 to 4 times.

I’ve just been curious how cold it would get and still start almost instantly, and I have to say despite the unusual cold last month and in December it hasn’t been cold enough to find out.

Anyway I don’t have a you tube account and have no intention of getting one so I suppose I’ll continue to be the only one impressed with my cars cold weather starting ability.

I do enjoy the contest though. It does sound like several of the participants could use a new starter and probably a couple of others should replace their glow plugs.

Keep up the good work idparts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Heh, it was nearly 70F here yesterday.

We've already had single digit temps a month ago though. None of my current diesels are especially dramatic cold starting though. Even the Vanagon starts without much of any fuss.

The IH dump truck sounds the neatest though. That big DT466 is a sweet old beast, and the turbo whistle through the stack gives me goose bumps! :p

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A good cup of coffee and the sweet smell and sound of a diesel in the morning.

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
first times my old gal wouldn't start over the xmas holiday -11 on the dash and 20-30 mph winds guess it is time for a frost heater....