New BRM and I want POWER!!!

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
PS: 2004LB7 I just want to experience a well responding BRM/PD140/Malone Stg4....living vicariously through you...LOL
Supposedly the GTB1749v is a better turbo then the PD140 turbo, same (or possibly better) spooling on the bottom end and more on the top end. Hope this is true.

I am going to run a stage 5 custom Malone tune. So I should be able to get what ever tuning adjustments I need to make it responsive and minimal smoke.

I am trying to maximize what I can get with this engine without going overboard and still keeping it as smoke free as possible.

I did run a stage 2 on my otherwise stock 09 CBEA and it was nice. Made driving a lot more fun. So this is really all I have to compare it to other than my stock BRM with a slightly worn cam. If my BRM beats my CBEA then I will call it a win

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The PD140 should have more bottom end than the GTB1749vc, the GTB should have more top end. I had mine actually detuned below 2000 RPM, it lights hard by 2300 RPM and pulls hard to redline. It makes around 175-180 hp in the real world with a gentle 250 lb-ft of torque.

My setup actually drives a lot like my 12 valve Cummins with a big turbo, on that one I have to shift at 3500-4000 RPM to land in the sweet spot on the upshift. Shifting like it's on the stock turbo results in a slow moving torqueless Honda experience. Most do not like it, but I prefer setups like this only because it's gentle on the driveline.

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Supposedly the GTB1749v is a better turbo then the PD140 turbo, same (or possibly better) spooling on the bottom end and more on the top end. Hope this is true.
I am going to run a stage 5 custom Malone tune. So I should be able to get what ever tuning adjustments I need to make it responsive and minimal smoke.
I am trying to maximize what I can get with this engine without going overboard and still keeping it as smoke free as possible.
I did run a stage 2 on my otherwise stock 09 CBEA and it was nice. Made driving a lot more fun. So this is really all I have to compare it to other than my stock BRM with a slightly worn cam. If my BRM beats my CBEA then I will call it a win
Based on the wheel size I doubt there is much difference in spool, and there should be a few more whp from the 1749. I am curious if there is are any gains from the Colt stage 2 cam.

GTB1749v - 35.4/49
PD140 - 34.1/46

I am going to get my car on the dyno soon and I will post the results.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Only a but dyno for me. I will let you know what it reads when done

I don't know how many photos I can get during the process as it will add considerable amount of time to document it and I won't have much before having to go back to work. I will get what I can

Had to work through Thanksgiving and the weekend. Supposed to get Tuesday and Wednesday off. We will see

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Based on the wheel size I doubt there is much difference in spool, and there should be a few more whp from the 1749. I am curious if there is are any gains from the Colt stage 2 cam.
GTB1749v - 35.4/49
PD140 - 34.1/46
I am going to get my car on the dyno soon and I will post the results.
You'd be surprised what a couple mm increase can do. We replaced a 65mm inducer compressor wheel with a 67mm on my buddy's s400 and it completely killed his bottom end performance. It all has to do with the wheel profile, the way way it was made and the material. On the GTB1749vc it also receives a larger turbine wheel, the heavier material for turbine wheels usually results in a bigger difference when swapping out wheels in comparison to compressor wheels.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Good progress! How did the oil feed line removal treat you? It took myself a little while, but that's only because I'm not the sharpest pencil in the crayon box.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Getting it off the turbo was not a problem at all. Now I need to find out where the other end goes and undo the side. Looks like it runs around to the front of the block.

Is the breaded oil line supposed to attach to the same place?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The oil supply line connects to the side of the filter housing. It's in a bit of a tight spot, removing it isn't difficult, getting the new braided line in without losing a waster was a bit of knuckle buster for my large and clumsy hands, George Carlin would be proud with my choice of words. Note the angles of the fitting on each side of the new oil supply line and make sure you're using the correct end.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The PD140 turbo is off an 8 valve PD rated at 140 hp engine with the BMM engine code, I believe it's a GTB1646v turbo. The GTB1749vc from Darkside if I remember right is a PD140 turbo with the CHRA swapped from a GTB1749vc off the 170 hp rated BMN 16 valve engine. The 16 valve engine's turbo is not a bolt on due to the manifold differences between the 8 valve head and the 16 valve head, hence why the CHRA is placed in the PD140.

The GTB1749vc has a slightly larger turbine wheel and compressor wheel than the GTB1646v.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Got most of it back together. Turbo, cleaned and installed the Head, Intake cleaned, new injectors, new cam, rockers, erc. Need to put the belt back on, finish putting all of the tubes, wires, 3 bar map sensor, etc back in.

Some photos to start

Gasket surfaces cleaned up

Head & Studs installed, ready for the nuts.

More photos tomorrow

Last edited:

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Go everything back together. Thats the good part

The bad, getting a Cam code and no start. P3008. Is this related to the cam timing or is it a bad sensor? I did index/lock the crank and cam when putting it all back together. The cam bolts on the sprocket are about mid way

And I can't remember where this part goes. I am pretty sure it connected to the vacuum lines and ran behind the turbo to , maybe, the egr. Can't find any hose connection on the egr or around it.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
unplugged the cam sensor and it started. Hmm. Thinking the cam timing (torsion value) is too far off. Will double check the timing tomorrow

Hopefully Malone gets me my updated tune tomorrow so I can get this all done (as long as the cam sensor is fine)

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
The PD140 turbo is off an 8 valve PD rated at 140 hp engine with the BMM engine code, I believe it's a GTB1646v turbo. The GTB1749vc from Darkside if I remember right is a PD140 turbo with the CHRA swapped from a GTB1749vc off the 170 hp rated BMN 16 valve engine. The 16 valve engine's turbo is not a bolt on due to the manifold differences between the 8 valve head and the 16 valve head, hence why the CHRA is placed in the PD140.

The GTB1749vc has a slightly larger turbine wheel and compressor wheel than the GTB1646v.
Well, that makes a lot more sense, and clears up my confusion! Thanks:)

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
That might be the vacuum line coming from the EGR cooler. I'm not 100 percent sure because my EGR cooler magically fell off before I bought the car. If you deleted the EGR, then you'll need to plug the vacuum port that line would connect to. Below is an easy to follow vacuum diagram for our cars that sptsailing made.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.p...-vacuum-lines-and-components-in-color&cat=516

Also, do you have VCDS? It'd be interesting to see what the full readout shows.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Yeah, it looks like the hose that runs from #12 to #9

Still have the EGR (California)

I do have VCDS. The only codes I see for the engine are the smart actuator and cam sensor. The tune will take care of the actuator. I'm sure if the egr is supposed to have a hose connected it will pop up a code soon too. If you want the whole VCDS dump I can paste it here.

Wont be able to do anything more until I get off work. Will update later today

that tdi guy

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9l BRM
I've been considering replacing all the vacuum lines, in my car, due to some of them having been hodgepodged together, and making me get under the hood and clean everything up, and do a "wire tuck" job on it. That schematic is awesome.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
IT RUNS!

figured out the cam sensor. Torsion value was way off. Adjusted it little at a time until it started. Read the value and it was -6.something. surprised because I thought anything more than +/-5 it wouldn't start unless unplugged. Mine started with more then -6.

Anyways, adjusted it to 0.5

Starts and idles good. Broke in the new cam and took it for a test drive. First impression, feels like twice the power. There are a few spots where it feels like a dead peddle or major turbo lag, looks to smoke more then I would like right now but hard to tell because it is night and judging smoke in headlights behind me is very deceiving. Overall way better then stock. Sent a log to Malone. Will see how it is after some tweaks

Keep you updated

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Good deal! Sounds like you had a pretty smooth install and a good running car. Getting the engine to land above 1800 RPM on the gear change will allow you to stay on top of the turbo when you need the power, it should hit like a light switch above 2k.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Yes, there is a point where it seems to wake up. I will have to study it behavior and learn the best times to shift. Of course it is a DSG car so manually shifting is not always practical. I may need a DSG tune update to accommodate the new power band

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Mine is also a DSG. Sport mode works very well for the time being. When using drive you need to be a bit aggressive with the throttle to keep it from upshifting too soon. When getting on it in sport mode it pulls like a train to 4500 rpm. Applying a DSG adaption with VCDS may also help.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Played around with the torsion value (cam timing) to see if i can smooth out the idle more.

Adjusted it from -4.4 all the way up to +8.2 in small increments. Starts to smooth out around +3. Left it at +3.4

Also, I ordered a DSG tune update. Hopefully this will take car of the over rev neutral problem

Still waiting for an updated version of my tune based on the logs sent. Stay tuned

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Got my 1st version of the DSG tune uploaded

1st impression, it certainly wakes up the responsiveness of the throttle. Revs quicker and thus builds boost faster. Much better driving manners. No real need to shift manually now.

Sport mode still needs to be addressed as it shifts way to high and hits the rev limiter

So far so good

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Glad to hear it's going well! I'd like to see a video if you can do so safely. I'm curious if my car has a DSG tune or not, since it came with an EGR delete and stage 1 tune.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I'll see if I can get a video. What do you want, a shot of the cluster? From a stop to 60? 45ish to more?

Maybe I can get all. We will see.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
A shot of the cluster would be perfect, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Acceleration to the speed limit and deceleration in sports mode would be cool to see how the downshifting is. My 2010 would engine brake on its own and downshift, the DSG in my '06 is nowhere near as intelligent.