Timing Belt Observations: paranoia, or cause for concern?

Stuffing

TDI
2003 Golf TDI ALH
Hi again TDI club,
I've got about 1000 miles on my new (to me) ALH engine and although it's running very well I'm still not 100% confident in my timing belt job. I used the complete timing belt kit from idParts, and I followed directions absolutely to the letter along with a rented timing belt tool-kit from AArodriguez. I may be stressing over nothing, but I thought I would run this by you guys and see what you think.
A couple weeks ago I decided to take a look at the timing belt tensioner to make sure nothing suspicious was going on. I noticed that the tension tab has a bit of movement. I've got a video of it here (just a warning, it's a bit loud). I tried tightening the tensioner's nut, but it's already quite tight.

Today, I checked it again to see if it had any more movement to it. It's moving the same amount as far as I can tell.

I also noticed some 'sway' in the belt's travel. It moves just a tiny little bit back and forth on the pulleys. It looks sort of like the belt (Dayco) is slightly skinnier than the guides on the tensioner pulley, allowing it to move back and forth a bit. Video here (also loud).

I want this engine to last a good long time, and I really don't want to pull my car apart again... If I have to, I am willing to take the car in and have the timing belt re-done professionally.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Don't worry about it. If absolutely everything was concentric/had no runout, the tension at every location a pulley turns would be the same. With manufacturing tolerances that isn't true so you see what you see.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Stuffing, what you are seeing (and hearing) is normal. The spring inside the Tensioner is doing what it is supposed to do.

Put the cover on, drive and worry less!

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
I used the complete timing belt kit from idParts, and I followed directions absolutely to the letter along with a rented timing belt tool-kit from AArodriguez.

I plan to do the same as you. How much did it cost to rent from AArodriguez? and the deposit?

I emailed them but never heard back.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I plan to do the same as you. How much did it cost to rent from AArodriguez? and the deposit?

The last time (of many satisfied purchases) I bought my TB kit from metalman parts I rented the tool kit. All the tools were brand new, most still in shrink wrap, and came from the one vender. Nice and convienent. Excellent service and quality as always.
https://www.metalmanparts.com/main.sc;jsessionid=C1A50E316DE37EF6AD775EB5D314E664.p3plqscsfapp005
I didn't see the ALH tool kit listed in the Tool Rental section but if you choose a TB kit the tool rental option is at the bottom of the page.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
I managed to pull it off without any special tools but wouldn't really recommend it lol.

Stuffing

TDI
2003 Golf TDI ALH

Here's what I used: http://www.tunemyeuro.com/alh-timing-belt-tool-rental/
Just order it like it's any other part and when you send it back they'll refund 240 of the 280. Keep in mind, depending on how you ship it back you might need to spend another 10-20 bucks or so to ship it back to them. It needs to get back to them 2 weeks after it arrives at your door, but they still gave me back the full deposit despite being late (sorry! :eek:).

Also, thanks for the votes of confidence! Might seem silly but it does reduce my stress levels a bit to hear support. I'll be getting my tune pretty soon here too to use my DLC1019s and VNT17. :cool:

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
Here's what I used: http://www.tunemyeuro.com/alh-timing-belt-tool-rental/
Just order it like it's any other part and when you send it back they'll refund 240 of the 280. Keep in mind, depending on how you ship it back you might need to spend another 10-20 bucks or so to ship it back to them. It needs to get back to them 2 weeks after it arrives at your door, but they still gave me back the full deposit despite being late (sorry! :eek:).

Awesome!

Last edited: