VW Paint/Rust Protection Option

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Execline
Just bought a 2013 Touareg Execline.

Has anyone had VW apply their paint protection to their vehicles? Or should I pay a bit more and go to a professional shop that specializes in coatings instead? Anyone have the electronic rust device? Is that a waste of money? Does it work? Or should i go for the spray on coating instead?

Located in Canada, lots of salt used on the roads.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
An 'electronic rust device' has the potential to work; the US Navy uses them on stored ships to protect the hull from rusting in the water. Unfortunately, even those have rust and corrosion going on above the water, so there are limits. While the theory is sound, the reason it won't work on a car is due to the requirement that all the surfaces be completely covered in a conductive medium in order to complete the circuit that will provide electrical conductivity. Without it, the ions at that uncovered surface can't do the ion exchange needed to keep rust from happening.

In my opinion, you need a good oil spray (or similar protective liquid) on the undercarriage twice a year or so. Maybe once a year will work well for you. IDK. I don't know what VW's paint protection entails, so I can't comment on that. If it is a dealer only item (i.e. not officially VW) then I'd be wary of the cost. It might work, but you might get a lot better deal elsewhere, too. If it is an official VW item, then I'd be even more wary of the cost, and most certainly get a better deal elsewhere.

Cheers,

PH

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What I've read about corrosion protection applied after manufacture is that a poorly-done job of it is worse than never having done it in the first place. So, yes, I'd be leery of dealer-only applications.

But manufacturers have gotten much better at designing vehicles to resist corrosion. VW group uses a lot of galvanized metal on their cars and (fenders on A4s aside) designs better to avoid water and salt accumulating on the car. The increasing use of composites and carbon-fiber materials helps, too.

Aside from the front fender rust recall, my 15-year-old Jetta Wagon is just starting to show a little rust, only around the back window. I suspect that's tied more to a problem with the window washer back there than design (I'll find out when it's warmer outside to deal with plastic panels in the unheated garage). And that's with only random fender-liner removal/cleanout and infrequent washing/waxing in the winter. Not sure I'd get the mileage out of an aftermarket corrosion-resistance package.

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Execline
I’ve done a bit of reading up on this electronic device and have talked to several auto detailers. It seems as though this technology has largely been discredited for use on automobiles. Just a big gimmick and an easy way for the dealer to make money on the sale of their small profit margin used vehicle

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I have an electronic rust doohickey on my ford ranger. It’s an 07 and is just showing rust now. Not bad for a Ford! However I believe I got sucked in on buying it, and would not again. My ‘12 VW is rusting on the hatch, rear quarter panels and the sill. Good thing for thier warrenty. This new salt brine that’s being put on the roads the last few winters is very very nasty stuff. And the roads are no better!!