Next GTG in DFW area?

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I just spoke with a member who lives very close to me and we were trying to figure out how to get a DFW GTG going.

Some place centraly located to the DFW area would be great like around Arlington so it is fair to everyone.

If anyone has any ideas or would like to get a group to start putting this together I would be very interested.

Sept 26th ----- 4 votes

General GTG / Maintenance---- 2 votes

Dyno / tuning ----------------- 2 vote

Arlington---- 1 vote

Last edited:

06JettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Midnight Rider said:
I would be very interested in coming to that GTG. I have lots to learn about the cars!
Had lots of people drive from Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Oklahoma to come to The Houston GTG.... getting people to come won't be an issue... Putting it together and picking a good date is the key... stay away from holidays.... I will come to a DFW GTG!! Name the time and place!!:D

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I think we should set a date first and then come up with a location.

Everyone should vote for the date that would be best for them, the date with the most votes gets it.

Keep in mind people need some advance notice to make plans so we should allow plenty of time.

I vote for Saturday September 26th

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
July is a tough month since a lot of people are on vacation at times. We just had a GTG in Houston in May too. How about late August or mid September (not on Labor Day weekend though)?

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
Good thought,

I am changing my vote to Saturday September 26th.

Should be much more enjoyable as far as temperatures go also.

Everyone who is interested in attending please vote for the date you want.

This will make it fair for everyone and help bring a larger turn out.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
In the original post I will put each date voted for and how many votes.

That way we can keep track of which one is winning.

Also, anyone with ideas as for meeting places chime in and lets get some ideas started.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
What will be the main purpose of this GTG? Dyno tests? Doing Rocketchip tunes (set up with Jeff)? Odds and ends (minor repair/maint to our cars)?, etc.

This is important to know as people are not interested in various things (I really don't care to dyno my car as an example).

Plus, if you are planning on local car work with attendees, then a shop location for the GTG is probably a no no! Bartuning in Houston would not allow that due to insurance reasons.

So, before selecting a date and location, some basic criteria and objectives needs to be established.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I am open to any ideas, I just like getting together with fellow TDI owners.

I learn alot and see many ideas for projects on my car.

I might actually do a dyno run if it were available.

At the last dyno run GTG in Ft Worth last year my car had IP problems and I could not run it.

I am looking to make this an event for everyone, thats why I want to vote on dates, events, and location.

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
I am neither interested in chip tuning nor in dyno. I would like to learn more about my car, basic maintenance and trouble shooting and so on. See what other people are doing with their cars and meet other owners!

but thats just me...

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I agree, I would enjoy the same thing, I put you down for 1 vote and myself for 1 also.

I am thinking somewhere near arlington would be central to the entire DFW area so I am voting for Arlington area. I live 30 miles or more away but would rather be in a central location if it meant more people to attend.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Midnight Rider said:
I am neither interested in chip tuning nor in dyno. I would like to learn more about my car, basic maintenance and trouble shooting and so on. See what other people are doing with their cars and meet other owners!

but thats just me...
Nice thing is you can still do all of that stuff at a chip tune or dyno GTG. Plenty of folks to chat with about everything under the sun.... and TDI everything of course.

I bet I could make Sept. 26th. I better not have the TDI by then... lol so I would have to bring the gasser.:( Mmmh dyno day sounds like fun to me.:D

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
I've spoke with VWMikeL about coming down to tune my car. He said if there was enough interest then he would make an event of it and tune others as well. He'll be tuning my new turbo either way.

I'm interested in involving a dyno for tuning purposes, theres no better way to tune.

Speak up if your interested in VWMikeL's tuning.

David

marvins_dad

TDI
New Beetle, 2002, Cyber Green
I'll have to put it on my calendar...I have a few beetle folks that might show up...but only a couple of us are TDIs.
I'll post the GTG on the DFW New Beetle Club site once a date is agreed on.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
kbrenny said:
Is that a vote for sept 26th, and a vote for having dyno runs?
Yes, and Yes!

TDIinTexas said:
I've spoke with VWMikeL about coming down to tune my car. He said if there was enough interest then he would make an event of it and tune others as well. He'll be tuning my new turbo either way.

I'm interested in involving a dyno for tuning purposes, theres no better way to tune.

Speak up if your interested in VWMikeL's tuning.

David
David, can Mike tune the 06 GLI gasser 2.0t's?

So far I am kind of set on an APR tune as they are the "biggest/best", but I am open to consideration. The reason for thinking APR is they have great features like switching between tunes 91/93 to 100 or 104 octane or back to stock all from your wiper selector :eek:, and a security lockout code so you can lock it to stock when going to the dealer/valet etc.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I am volunteering as much help as I can, you definitley do not want me in charge, I would have it at Hooters in thier parking lot.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
SBAtdijetta said:
Yes, and Yes!

David, can Mike tune the 06 GLI gasser 2.0t's?

So far I am kind of set on an APR tune as they are the "biggest/best", but I am open to consideration. The reason for thinking APR is they have great features like switching between tunes 91/93 to 100 or 104 octane or back to stock all from your wiper selector :eek:, and a security lockout code so you can lock it to stock when going to the dealer/valet etc.
While I don't think I'd have any trouble flashing that car (my flasher should support that car) I haven't spent a lot of time with the 2L FSI stuff. If you want the switching stuff like APR that's not going to be an easy task. They employ some high level programmers and when they're done the code looks nothing like it does when stock.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Can we put the GTG Details on TexasTurboDiesel (see the link in my sig) also? End of September would work for me, but I'd prefer it to be later in the year. September is still pretty hot.

The only issue I see in my schedule is Hurricane Season. I'll be working if something rolls into the Houston/Galveston/Beaumont area. Dyno for me.

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
I would need to trade the day off, so the sooner a final decision is made, the sooner I can start working on it.

I would be interested in a dyno if and only if:

1. My exhaust is finished by then (no reason it shouldn't, but you never know).
2. The shop we use has experience dyno'ing diesel vehicles and can reliably use an optical pick-up to get rpm readings.