TDI centre silencer delete?

chavy

TDI
VW Polo 2011 1.6 TDI
Hi, i’m new here and you people have probably been asked this question a thousand times but I have a VW Polo 1.6 TDI and I am wondering if deleting the resonator/mid box will make any difference in terms of sound? I have been told by a few people that it won’t make a difference because of it being a diesel since they don’t make that loud noise that petrol engines do but I just wanted to make sure with the people who know a lot about TDI’s.
Thanks. :D

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
You could probably run a straight pipe since the TDI has a turbocharger to tone down exhaust. I am - just a resonator at the end just in case it was a bit droning.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Are you certain that it is just a resonator? Are there any wires going to it like sensors. Just make sure it is not part of the emissions system that is monitored by the ECU.

Have Fun!

Don

chavy

TDI
VW Polo 2011 1.6 TDI
I just want it to sound louder. I have a complete stock exhaust every silencer possible is in there I only wanted to know if it would sound any louder if I got rid of the resonator and just replaced it with a straight bit of pipe. Also wanting to know if a resonator delete would pass an MOT.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
If the DPF is still there you wont have much change in sound. The turbo tones down the exhaust sound and the DPF all but eliminates the rest.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Don't know how an MOT inspection will do, as here in the USofA, some inspection shops are super a/r, and others not so much. And some states don't have inspections.

Yes, the center resonator is merely a section of tube with some holes in the sides. It doesn't do a lot, but probably changes the frequency of droning that happens. From the car's point of view, they're probably worthless. For you, it would eliminate yet another item that will rust. What it will do for a MOT is something I have no way of knowing.

Good luck,

PH