Side Marker Light Issues SOLVED!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
A few days ago my car started to have some intermittent side marker light issues.

Not every time, but some times when I start the car I get this message.

The message goes away after a few seconds and then I have the trouble light.

Here is what is annoying, the right marker light is working. At this point I'm guessing the bulb is loose in the socket and is triggering a trouble code for a few seconds.

All input is welcome.

:confused:

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd start by taking the bulb out and putting it back in. Though, to be honest if you're that far in just replace it. It's a 194.

-J

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
$5.36 and 1 hour later I fixed my light issue. What a PITA...

The side marker takes a 2825 bulb. This is a 5W bulb.

Getting the bulb out is easy. Turn the wheel in as far as possible, remove the access cover on the inner fender and pull off the rubber cover. The bulb holder pulls straight out after a short twist.

The old bulb looked fine but I decided to replace it anyway. The bulb fit fine in its socket but I went ahead and pinched the prongs together with the smallest flat-blade screwdriver I had. The prongs did grip the new bulb tighter after I did that.

Now for the PITA part: Trying to get the bulb back through the access hole and into the headlight assembly. It's all by feel. After a dozen tries I gave up and removed the front wheel so I could see what the hell I was suppose to be doing and take some photos. After a few tries I got the bulb back in and the rubber cover back on.

Some tips:

1. The side marker lights are the only ones you have to remove the access panels to replace.

2. The 2825 bulb is identical in size to the more common 194 bulb. The 2825 is 5W, the 194 is 3.8W. I had a package of 194s in my hand but decided to use the part look-up computer Autozone had on the counter to double check.

3. This part will drive you nuts. The left side bulb socket turns counter-clockwise to twist it out. The right side bulb socket turns clockwise to twist it out. RTFM so you can keep this straight. This detail was probably 90% of my frustration.

I'll say it again, what a PITA. VW could have designed something better.

:rolleyes:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
$5.36 and 1 hour later I fixed my light issue. What a PITA...
<snip>
I'll say it again, what a PITA. VW could have designed something better.

:rolleyes:
Every car seems to have something like this, with luck only one. Our aging '04 SAAB has the same headlight bulbs as the Passat (H7 halogens), but are FAR more of a PITA to replace. To do the bulbs on the driver's side, the battery must come out. On the passenger's side, the induction hose to the MAF must be removed. Haven't had to do the Passat's headlight bulbs yet, but looks like a piece of cake.......but now I'll be dreading the DRLs and side marker lights. :rolleyes:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
This sounds like about as much fun as changing a B4 headlight bulb, which entails removing the grille(!) to access all the mounting tabs for the lamp unit and then removing the lamp to access the bulbs. Then button it all back up and make sure your aim is still true!

(Others were able to work on these in-situ but I never had much luck. Must be my clumsy hands.)

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
The B4 is a lot easier. I was able to change out a bulb in under 5 minutes, once I learned how to remove the side marker lights without deforming the plastic clip that hides inside the fender.

;)

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I did watch a video on youtube where the fellow accessing the DRLs and side marker lidhts simply yanked the wheel well liner out to access. Took less than a minute.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I hate all these new names for the same bulb, bp2, 2825 ect- its a W5W-same bulbs our grandfathers side marker lights used 50 years ago.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
Cool. Great thread. I've been seeing random bulb out messages for the right and left front marker lights as well. Thanks to the OP for the details on how to access the bulbs.

Took me about 10 minutes for the first one, without having to remove the tire/wheel. Just turned the wheel to the stop so I could get to it easy. The other side took maybe 5 minutes once I knew what to expect.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I'm all LED aside from Headlight bulbs and I get that error when ever the Glow plugs cycle. If I turn the lights on, all my lights work fine. The extra draw from the Glow plugs and the ignition cycle seem to see something.

2dye4

TDI
Jetta
Just did this with minimal curse words, I found the easiest way is to to turn on the parking lights so you can see it when it is in place. 5min tops

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Now when I have to do anything headlight related I just remove the whole headlight assembly. I'm not a kid anymore so it's just easier for me to remove the grill and headlights than contorting myself using the wheel-well method. I bought a cordless ratchet/wrench so this saves a lot of time removing all those torx bolts.

I highly recommend a cordless ratchet. I don't do enough wrenching to justify any air tools or buying an air compressor. Several months ago NAPA had a sale and I picked up this IR R1130 3/8" 12v. It's very easy to use. 12v is plenty of power for a casual hobbyist. IR makes a 20v version but it's pricey and meant for a professional garage/shop. It's also a lot bigger and heavier.

:)

wvmountains

TDI
2012 SEL TDI
Marker light rubber cap

So I removed the inner fender access cover to get to the right marker light bulb. Trouble is I don’t think I found the rubber cover for the bulb.
Is this the rubber cover you can see through the access hole?
I was afraid to pull it off for fear of messing something up! I finally gave up so I need some help please.
Thanks all.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
So I removed the inner fender access cover to get to the right marker light bulb. Trouble is I don’t think I found the rubber cover for the bulb.
Is this the rubber cover you can see through the access hole?
I was afraid to pull it off for fear of messing something up! I finally gave up so I need some help please.
Thanks all.

@wvmountains, yes it's the rubber cover just inside the access hole. Pull it off, and inside is a plastic bulb holder as seen in the image in post #3 above.

Here are some pics I took of mine for reference. Rubber cover, as installed:

...and the rubber cover removed, showing the bulb holder that needs to be gently twisted to remove from the housing:

Make sure you reinstall the rubber cover securely onto the housing to prevent water and dirt
from entering and contaminating the inside of the housing.

Last edited:

Jessica88*

TDI
2013 Passat
I am new to TDI VW’s so forgive me if this sounds stupid.

Today when I started my car a warning light came on It was for my lighting system..... I also have a check engine light on.... but that issue is being dealt with separately.

The dash messages says that I need to check my Front Left Marker Light. I want to know id this is the same as a side marker light. All I am able to find on the internet is “side marker lights”. I also want to know where to access the bulb from on the vehicle.

Thanks,
Jessica

Last edited: