RIP: [warning: crushed car pics]

GolfGTD

TDI
2013 GOLF StationWagen TDI
This is the faith of every TDI that got bought back.
It's sad seeing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
What a waste. Makes me think of the cash for clunkers videos where they drained the oil, added some nasty silicate stuff, and ran the engine until it seized. Some of those clunkers were quite nice.

GolfGTD

TDI
It makes me sick looking at this stuff. We as a nation are all sorts of screwed up.

We have roughly 7 million Semi Trucks, probably 90% of which are pre Emissions era so those 15L engines are spewing all sorts of crap in the atmosphere but oh no, we decide to go after the guys with the 2L engines because they produced slightly higher amounts of NOx... SHAKES HEAD!!! :mad:

Now these vehicles like you said already produced polution to be produced, now they will produce even more polution to be destroyed and who wins in the end? I guess a TDI owner because they get to go buy another VW or XX brand... IDK none of this makes sence to me.

Certainly scares me to think that my JSW will end up in a pile like this.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Some of those look newer than 09s for sure. Perhaps they were high milers?

And some complained about people taking radios out before turn in...

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We have roughly 7 million Semi Trucks, probably 90% of which are pre Emissions era so those 15L engines are spewing all sorts of crap in the atmosphere but oh no, we decide to go after the guys with the 2L engines because they produced slightly higher amounts of NOx... SHAKES HEAD!!!
It's probably the other way around, actually. The vast majority of semi trucks I see on the road have DEF tanks.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And California requires current emissions compliance for a semi to enter the state, AFAIK - even if it was originally certified to older standards. (Part of this is because of the glider loophole, I suspect, where an old engine can go into a new chassis.)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If I may ask, where were those pictures taken?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
What a waste. Makes me think of the cash for clunkers videos where they drained the oil, added some nasty silicate stuff, and ran the engine until it seized. Some of those clunkers were quite nice.

These pics make me sick

Guess they "STRIPPED" the wheels

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good question. Are we sure we are not looking at a pile of VW's being crush after they were totaled in accidents. I smell some fake news here.
Fake?

With respects

Since when did the crushers segregate VW (wrecked) cars from the others.

:D:D:D:D

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
Good question. Are we sure we are not looking at a pile of VW's being crush after they were totaled in accidents. I smell some fake news here.
Couldn't agree more! look at the one in the first picture sandwiched between the two beige ones, it has yellow paint all down the side, looks to me to be from a prior accident.

I bet there's more to these pics.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Compliments of our over zealous EPA. What a stupid waste.

GolfGTD

TDI
These are not fake pictures folks.

I have a buddy who is a VW guy and one of his relatives works at a local (michigan) scrap yard.

Late last year apparently VWoA approached the scrap yard interested to check capacity and sign a contract to scrap 13k VWs and one of the rules of the job was no parts removal.

VW is currently staging all these cars at the Silverdome in Pontiac MI, I have driven by there and the lot gets packed more and more every day and some of these are starting to be crushed.
I also frequently run into car haulers filled with VWs headed that way too.

I guess that means that VW is not planning to have a fix for the old model.
Not sure whta the cost of a scrapped car is but they are going this route apparently.

Its so sad when you see them go like this.

It reminds me of a massacre or a funeral.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These are not fake pictures folks.
I have a buddy who is a VW guy and one of his relatives works at a local (michigan) scrap yard.
Late last year apparently VWoA approached the scrap yard interested to check capacity and sign a contract to scrap 13k VWs and one of the rules of the job was no parts removal.
VW is currently staging all these cars at the Silverdome in Pontiac MI, I have driven by there and the lot gets packed more and more every day and some of these are starting to be crushed.
I also frequently run into car haulers filled with VWs headed that way too.
<snip>
I do not see any wheels

Funny issue with (ALLOY) wheels ~~ $150 ~~ $200 ~~ $300 ~~ for a single wheel ~~ retail

Come to think of it I also see no tires:eek::rolleyes:;):cool:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I guess that means that VW is not planning to have a fix for the old model.
Not sure whta the cost of a scrapped car is but they are going this route apparently.
To me all this means is that VW considers it uneconomical to apply a fix to a Gen 1 vehicle and resell it... and honestly I'm not surprised.

Keep in mind that there would have been fewer crushed if people hadn't been so quick to sell their cars back and get their $$$$.

-Fred

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
The question is will there be a fix for the gen 1 cars which are not to be bought back and waiting for a fix?

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To me all this means is that VW considers it uneconomical to apply a fix to a Gen 1 vehicle and resell it... and honestly I'm not surprised.

Keep in mind that there would have been fewer crushed if people hadn't been so quick to sell their cars back and get their $$$$.

-Fred
This is a gold rush X 100

Especially for the goat poopie, hi mileage, HAIL hit, neglected, rusty, poorly maintained, stinky cars

Almost better than the cash for clunkers.

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
It's the Internet. It must be true. ;)

I'm always skeptical of photos where there's no provenance. I need to know more about context--where's the wide angle photo that shows where these are and how many there are? Seems odd that there would be a dozen or so crushed buyback TDIs without some reason (e.g., serious body damage, flood/water damage).

That said, from what I can tell,
1) all are late model
2) all are VWs
3) all are TDIs
4) crushing appears to be recent (I don't see rust)

These may very well be buyback vehicles, but inferring anything about Gen 1 fixes or the fate of all Gen 1 vehicles from these photos is just speculation. But that is what we do.

Last edited:

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
It's the Internet. It must be true. ;)

I'm always skeptical of photos where there's no provenance. I need to know more about context--where's the wide angle photo that shows where these are and how many there are? Seems odd that there would be a dozen or so crushed buyback TDIs without some reason (e.g., serious body damage, flood/water damage).

That said, from what I can tell,
1) all are late model
2) all are VWs
3) all are TDIs
4) crushing appears to be recent (I don't see rust)

These may very well be buyback vehicles, but inferring anything about Gen 1 fixes or the fate of all Gen 1 vehicles from these photos is just speculation. But that is what we do.
And no fogs on any of them. Hrmmm.....

GolfGTD

TDI
It seems to me VW may try to do it in such matter that at first all the cars with high millage get smashed first.
I would think if they got cars that are 2014 or 2015 those may stay around for a while due to low millage etc.

I think a lot of customers also went back and bought another VW so a lot of this money came back in their pockets too.
So somewhere in their books at the end of the day it seems ok to be smashing these cars. Id imagine the scrap per TON prices may be good which further brings back some cash. The wheels im sure those are stored or taken to a factory for melting and making new rims.

I am sure that VW may sell some of these newer cars to some of the scrap yards around the country for spare parts so thats good news for those like me who plan on keeping their cars.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't forget us greedy bastards who bought TDIs just to sell them back and turn a profit.
Good point Dan:)

.... still having a giggle at the entrepreneurial spirit to $crew vw a little

.... also having a grin on my face when I do the BB

.... drive many months ~~ get back more than I paid for it. ~~ if not wrecked or stolen ~~ :eek::mad::p:(