Harbor Freight 6-1/4 GALLON OIL EXTRACTOR

dmullen

TDI
None
I own a Jabsco oil changer but their hose setup is poor to say the least. This week, I saw an oil extractor at Harbor Freight that appears to be far superior but I do not know anyone who owns one and have never heard how well they work. They are about $140 in the store.

They operate by pumping them up with air from a compressor and I do not understand how this can create a vacuum that will remove oil through the dipstick.

Does anyone here own one?

Thanks

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
I use the JABSCO and I think it works great. I have no problem with the hose setup at all. Maybe we are talking about 2 different Jabsco tools. Mine looks like this: (Actually my bucket is black, but this is the only image I could find!)

I'm curious about what the issue is you have experienced with the hose setup?

dmullen

TDI
None
I have a real problem stopping leaks between that adapter hose that must be inserted into the larger hose. It is the one that reduces the internal opening so that the smaller vinyl hose can be inserted and then used in the dipstick opening. The plastic clips that the company provides have never worked properly and hose clamps sometimes work but usually also do not work every time.

The company have been great about tech support and sent new parts but it is an ongoing problem.

Now, I am thinking about putting a splitter with quick disconnects where the larger hose attaches to the pump and then using one hose with the adapter siliconed in permanently and another hose for empyting the tank.

If that does not work, I will cut my losses and buy something that is not a constant problem. I do not want to waste a great deal of time messing with this every time I need to change oil.

Last edited:

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
They must have changed the design since I bought mine a few years back. There is no larger/smaller hose. Just a single solid line that runs the full length from the pump to the end.

I found a photo of mine that shows pretty well how the hose connects to the pump:

Last edited:

dmullen

TDI
None
The design is a lot different and yours looks much better than mine. Mine has a large hose that serves a dual purpose.

It uses a short (1" approx) small piece of hose inserted in the end to reduce the diameter of the opening so that the much smaller vinyl hose (similar or identical to yours) can be inserted to remove oil through the dipstick opening.

Once the oil is out, I must remove the vinyl hose and small piece of hose that was inserted into the larger hose and then the large hose is used to empty the tank by reversing the motor (with a switch).

My extractor is a few years old and has a white bucket.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

I have this unit and so far I am very impressed. Here are my notes on it:

-Suction is generated using an internal venturi and muffled exhaust.

-130psi sustained will net you 25"hg vacuum
-110psi sustained will net you 20"hg vacuum
-90psi sustained will net you 15-20"hg vacuum

-Air line adapter, replace it with a ball shut-off valve that has a standard air hose ball/swivel nipple (Lowes Sells both items for $5.00). This way you can connect your air supply using a standard fitting and and turn it on when needed. Otherwise the internal venturi will flow air anytime the air hose is connected. The unit comes with an odd coupler, it was the first thing I replaced and if memory serves me correctly it did not require any reducers or adapters meaning teflon tape + connector is all that was requried.

-The unit has an internal check valve that preserves the stored vacuum in the tank! I love this feature!

-VERY LARGE capacity, I can change the oil in the Mercedes (8.5 liters twice) and the VW once without emptying the tank!

-Excellent for extracting transmission fluid from the O1m!

-The unit comes with multiple rods and hoses. Don't get hung up on the plastic quality, the hoses are all easily replaced if you need a specific diameter for your car. They are simple compression fitting adapters so it's a 30 second swap out.

-Adapters are Steel and brass using o-rings to maintain the seal with the main suction hose, this provides a completely clean and mess free extraction of oil. The only issue I found is the hoses get really hot when extracting oil. Oil must be at operating temp to work optimally and maximize removal of the engines old oil...drainage to the lowest point etc. The unit will suction out cold oil BUT it is much slower and will require a lot of air (read noise)

-Suction hose, has a ball valve that allows you to stop the flow and recover the vacuum in the tank.

-Air compressor, The system works best with high pressure high volume. The venturi is metered, meaning it has a small orifice that reduces the volume of air required to make the unit work. This lowers the required capacity (CFM output of your compressor) so that most 4-6CFM @90 psi units will do the job. If you can maintain 130+ the suction level improves greatly and reduces your total time for extraction of the fluids.

-Noise, the unit has an exhaust muffler, so the nose is cut down and is best described as a moderate level continual "whooosshhhhh".

-Site gauge, you are able to read the volume of oil in the tank using a clear tube that shows the fluid level. eliminates the guess work when extracting large sump volumes.

-Other uses, Lawnmower, air compressors, transmissions, motorcycles etc.

Compared to a Pela, this thing knocks it out of the park. No pumping, no mess, no fuss! Also the tank is EXTREMELY easy to drain.

DB

Last edited:

dmullen

TDI
None
daedalus

Do you happen to know the model number of your Jabsco?

I would like to contact them and see if that hose on yours will fit on mine.

Thanks

GaryF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6MT
Princesss Auto up here sells them also(blue).
I bought one last spring $140 Can. and have had nothing but success with it so far. Used for lawn tractors/ ag tractors as well as the VW's Maybe not for everyone but sure makes oil changes quick and tidy. There is no way to reverse/pump it, just open the threaded steel cap and pour into a 5 gal container...Gary

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
My Error - Sorry!

It is time for me to apologize for posting false information on the forum. It was an inadvertent error that may have sent some of you off on a tangent. dmullen asked for the part number. I went to the garage this morning to get it and found that my oil change system isn't a Jabsco at all - it's a SHURflo! They look to be identical and may even come from the same offshore factory. For what it is worth the SHURflo model number is 8050-305-426. West Marine is where I bought mine: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/151911?&cid=chanintel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=151911

The motor is not reversible. It wouldn't help if it were since the output line from the pump only extends around 6" or so into the bucket. I drain mine by taking the bucket cover (with the pump attached) and place the output line into the top of the just-emptied oil jug. Place the suction line into the bucket and turn it on. The used oil is transferred to the jug in no time.

Continuing with true confession time: When finished I run a SMALL amount of mineral spirits followed by a pint or so of water through the system. It flushes the line and makes it easy to see where the oil flow is the next time around. Mineral spirits is probably not good for the pump but I use very little and it's been OK for three or four years.

Throwing myself on the mercy of the court!!!

dmullen

TDI
None
Thanks for the reply. Look like I will go to Harbor Freight if my modification does not work.

Thanks for checking on that. I have never seen an extractor so similar to Jabsco but it looks better than mine. My motor is reversible so that the tank can be emptied. Trouble with that is that the content of the tank is not visible so it is all guesswork. A clear strip on the side of the tank would have helped a lot too.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
d, I use a 3/8 ID vinyl combined with a 3/8 OD poly for my Shur-Flo.
These are not the hoses that came with the pump, but I find they allow for greater flexibility and won't come apart during the extraction process.

dmullen

TDI
None
The Harbor Freight manual says not to exceed 110 psi air pressure. My compressor puts out more than that and I was wondering if the Harbor Freight extractor has something on it that will shut off the pressure at 110 psi?

Thanks

dmullen

TDI
None
The Harbor Freight manual says that the pressure should be held to 110 psi. My compressor puts out a lot more than that so I was wondering if the extractor has something built in that will shut off or lower the air pressure when the 110 psi is reached?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
No issues at all running 120-130 psi on the extractor. All that really does is increase the maximum vacuum that you can reach, or increase the volume you can extract in a given time.

If you have a 130psi system, the pressure drop will put the incoming pressure right around 110 psi if you have a gage installed at the inlet.

DB

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I bought one of these last week and have not had the chance to use it yet. You MUST have an air compressor to create the vacuum within the tank.

It was around $135 and I had a -20% coupon which you can always find on their website.

It comes with 5 probes which are not shown in my fotos. I think two of them are steel and three are nylon...the sizes are listed on the box label. It also includes a couple brass adapters and I'm not sure what they're for.

Air185

TDI
2013 Jetta
can you please tell me what you replaced the air inlet fitting with? I think the plug that comes with it is lousy!

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf

I have this unit and so far I am very impressed. Here are my notes on it:

-Suction is generated using an internal venturi and muffled exhaust.

-130psi sustained will net you 25"hg vacuum
-110psi sustained will net you 20"hg vacuum
-90psi sustained will net you 15-20"hg vacuum

-Air line adapter, replace it with a ball shut-off valve that has a standard air hose ball/swivel nipple (Lowes Sells both items for $5.00). This way you can connect your air supply using a standard fitting and and turn it on when needed. Otherwise the internal venturi will flow air anytime the air hose is connected. The unit comes with an odd coupler, it was the first thing I replaced and if memory serves me correctly it did not require any reducers or adapters meaning teflon tape + connector is all that was requried.

-The unit has an internal check valve that preserves the stored vacuum in the tank! I love this feature!

-VERY LARGE capacity, I can change the oil in the Mercedes (8.5 liters twice) and the VW once without emptying the tank!

-Excellent for extracting transmission fluid from the O1m!

-The unit comes with multiple rods and hoses. Don't get hung up on the plastic quality, the hoses are all easily replaced if you need a specific diameter for your car. They are simple compression fitting adapters so it's a 30 second swap out.

-Adapters are Steel and brass using o-rings to maintain the seal with the main suction hose, this provides a completely clean and mess free extraction of oil. The only issue I found is the hoses get really hot when extracting oil. Oil must be at operating temp to work optimally and maximize removal of the engines old oil...drainage to the lowest point etc. The unit will suction out cold oil BUT it is much slower and will require a lot of air (read noise)

-Suction hose, has a ball valve that allows you to stop the flow and recover the vacuum in the tank.

-Air compressor, The system works best with high pressure high volume. The venturi is metered, meaning it has a small orifice that reduces the volume of air required to make the unit work. This lowers the required capacity (CFM output of your compressor) so that most 4-6CFM @90 psi units will do the job. If you can maintain 130+ the suction level improves greatly and reduces your total time for extraction of the fluids.

-Noise, the unit has an exhaust muffler, so the nose is cut down and is best described as a moderate level continual "whooosshhhhh".

-Site gauge, you are able to read the volume of oil in the tank using a clear tube that shows the fluid level. eliminates the guess work when extracting large sump volumes.

-Other uses, Lawnmower, air compressors, transmissions, motorcycles etc.

Compared to a Pela, this thing knocks it out of the park. No pumping, no mess, no fuss! Also the tank is EXTREMELY easy to drain.

DB
Is there no way to use the evacuator remotely disconnected from the air supply. I'm searching for a device like this that can be "pressurized", disconnected from the air souce, ten taken to another location to remove a half gallon or so of liquid. Would this evacuator accomplish this is there was an air shut off placed on it and turned off once the pressure reached max level.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
The MityVac extractor will satisfy all of your needs. Pressurizes with it's own hand pump and holds about 2 gallons. I have been using one for years on all of my rolling stock.
Understood, but I do want to determine how long the HF extractor mentioned above will pull liquid after it is "charged" with a vacuum, inlet valve closed, and disconnected from continuous air supply. The compressed air flowing through the venturi fitting creates a vacuum in the tank. If an inlet valve is added and closed, the extractor could be removed from the air supply and used for a short period with the vacuum remaining in the tank. I'd like to know how long that vacuum would last. Of course it will depend on viscosity of fluid and vacuum line opening, but just in general is all i need.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Is there no way to use the evacuator remotely disconnected from the air supply. I'm searching for a device like this that can be "pressurized", disconnected from the air source, ten taken to another location to remove a half gallon or so of liquid. Would this evacuator accomplish this is there was an air shut off placed on it and turned off once the pressure reached max level.
LMJ, you are correct that, in theory, the device could hold vacuum (it is not "pressurized") and do several cars without being re-connected to its source of pressurized air. See post #22, that is a vacuum gage. If you pulled maximum vacuum, you should, in theory, be able to do several oil changes. You'd have to ensure you have excellent connections without any leaks. I have fitted a quik-connect to mine for the compressor. I've done two back to back oil changes with it disconnected from the air compressor without issue. There was still a good bit of vacuum remaining as displayed on the vacuum gage when we were done. I suspect the pro units used at the dealers are used in this fashion: Vacuum down at the start of the day and move around to different cars doing your oil changes.

I have added an ON/OFF valve to mine and a quik-connect to the compressor. Some of the hardware on the original unit is of poor quality. I also found a source for the .25" nylon tubing used on VAG cars at McMaster-Carr. The .25" probe supplied with the unit isn't quite long enough for some of our cars.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
LMJ, you are correct that, in theory, the device could hold vacuum (it is not "pressurized") and do several cars without being re-connected to its source of pressurized air. See post #22, that is a vacuum gage. If you pulled maximum vacuum, you should, in theory, be able to do several oil changes. You'd have to ensure you have excellent connections without any leaks. I have fitted a quik-connect to mine for the compressor. I've done two back to back oil changes with it disconnected from the air compressor without issue. There was still a good bit of vacuum remaining as displayed on the vacuum gage when we were done. I suspect the pro units used at the dealers are used in this fashion: Vacuum down at the start of the day and move around to different cars doing your oil changes.

I have added an ON/OFF valve to mine and a quik-connect to the compressor. Some of the hardware on the original unit is of poor quality. I also found a source for the .25" nylon tubing used on VAG cars at McMaster-Carr. The .25" probe supplied with the unit isn't quite long enough for some of our cars.
Thank you sir. This is precisely the info that I was searching for.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
We have a 30 gal one of these at work. We can pull a full 30 gal on 1 charge unless you draw in straight air through the suction hose. We can also take it anywhere in the plant with the setup as dieseldorf suggested with the shutoff and QD air line. Ours has 2 shutoffs on the suction side, one at the head @ tank, 2nd at the end of hose. We can change out hoses without losing vac or you can diagnose a leak in you hose.