Passenger window down... won't go up

VTJoe79

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
So i'm in a bit of a pickle, the passenger window is down and won't go up either with the passenger switch, driver switch or via the keyfob. A VCDS scan tells me i've got an implausible signal - passenger door.

I replaced the driver side door harness already due to the same issue. I've checked the passenger wiring and found some of the insulation cracked, but nothing that would indicated the cables themselves are completely cracked.

I've got two questions:

1) Can anybody tell me which wires are which? I've spliced the two wires with cracked insulation, and my situation has not improved.

2) Is there someway to hot wire it to get the window up? Or a mechanical way? I just need it up for now until I have time to replace the harness itself.

Also, as always, any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe the wiring isn't the issue and I'm chasing the wrong thing. Thanks

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
As you've already suggested its probably wire related and it probably in the part the spans between the door post and the door. Try opening the door all the way up and working the switches, see if that help. Sometimes it will allow you to get you window closed.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I had the same problem on my A5. I removed the door card and removed the motor/controller so I could crank the window up manually.

I put the motor/controller back in so central locking would work while I waited for the new motor and guess what? After I plugged it back in, the window was working again. Try leaving the battery disconnected for 1/2 hour or so.

I went ahead and installed the new motor/controller because I figured that if the motor/controller crapped it's self once, it would do it again.

Last edited:

VTJoe79

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Thanks! I'll try the battery trick. It's weird because it seemed to happen so suddenly and after an hour or two of fiddling with it never once budged... I thought for sure I could at least get it up, but no dice

I had the same problem on my A5. I removed the door card and removed the motor/controller so I could crank the window up manually.

I put the motor/controller back in so central locking would work while I waited for the new motor and guess what? After I plugged it back in, the window was working again. Try leaving the battery disconnected for 1/2 hour or so.

I went ahead and installed the new motor/controller because I figured that if the motor/controller crapped it's self once, it would do it again.

VTJoe79

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Allright, battery trick didn't work. I guess I'm going the door card/motor/controller removal route. Once I get the motor out I'll be able to just crank the window up by hand from the inside? I won't need to remove the exterior door skin? Thanks

gerrywac

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MkV 1.9 TDI Match 105Hp (UK Model)
It's only a case of prying off the door handle cover and a half dozen odd Tprx screws and then pry off the door card. The window motor is held with 3 screws and unplug from the harness.

No need to remove the door skin

The winder motor has a splined shaft that engages a spline hole in the winder so you will need to rig something to turn it manually to wind up the window

Roketman

TDI
2006 Jetta
Wiring harness!!! Try opening the door a little some times the wires make contact while the door opens and closes.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
My drivers window would not go up, wire was broken in the harness, insulation was not cracked or broken, found by pulling each wire individually and the broken one pulled apart. I think there has been at least 3 revisions on the harness.

VTJoe79

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI
Hey all, know I am resurrecting an old thread but this has cropped up again and I'm determined to make sure this is the last time.

My passenger window is stuck again, luckily this time in the up position. It has been working intermittently for a year or so. I have known issues (cracked wires, which i've attempted to repair) where the harness goes into the body of the car. However, every time I press the window button down button on either the passenger side or the driver's side, i hear a click coming from the motor/controller unit. This indicated to me that the motor/controller unit was getting signal to go down, but was broken so it clicked.

I ordered a new motor/controller from fixmyvw, plugged it in, and got the exact same response.

A VCDS scan confirms that i'm showing a code for the door:

00933 - Electric Window Motor; Passenger Side (V148)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

My new approach is to bite the bullet, and replace the door wire harness. I guess I have two questions:

1) Does anybody know where I can get the harness cheap? Dealer is looking for $180, and the cheapest i've been able to find online is around $150... part # 1K5971121H

2) What is making the motor/controller (both old and brand new) click every time time I try and put the window down? Does that mean the old controller/motor is bad or good?

3) Any other thoughts/suggestions on this?

I've gone and unplugged and replugged everything in the door and still nothing. Any thoughts as always appreciated

BigJare

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Just to add my experience from today 4/13/17, Pass window rolled down with switch and would not close. All other windows functioning properly. This had happened once before --- but later in the day decided to roll up via door switch.

Scanned the car with VCDS:
Code(s) retrieved:
00933 - Electric Window Motor; Passenger Side (V148)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

Completed the following:
1) Tried the pass switch repeatedly...
2) Tried key-offs, driver window switch...pass window switch
3) Opened the door to different positions (assuming a door harness issue)
4) Pulled the accordion wire cover off of the door harness (between car body and door) to check wiring for cracks/chaffing -- 2x
5) Disconnected battery for 30 min
6) vigorous switch depressions
7) Recalled previous posts of people removing door card to tap on the window motor -- Gave the door panel (still installed) a couple "palm thumps" below the door handle while pressing the window switch and the window rolled up

This may help folks in the rain, on the road, or in the cold.

Seems I also know that there is either a motor connection issue or motor is bad. Will have to tear into it later to confirm.

smith2515

TDI
2005.5 Jetta 190k
Just dealt with this issue today. I tried disconnecting the battery with no luck. The issue was only with the front passenger door. I took the door panel off and disconnected all the wires/harnesses. Wires/harnesses looked good at the motor. Reconnected everything and the window rolls up! Thank you so much. - Rob

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I've had a similar issue, the bang method on the door would sometimes work or the button press would sometimes work. It ended up being a bad door control module.