Totalled Jetta TDI 09

dministrator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Sunroof+Nav
Hello All.

First time posting here. Just wanted to share this with this forum members.

I've uploaded some pictures of the damage my beloved Jetta TDI suffered when it ran over some metal junk debris at 55-60mph, possibly a muffler that fell off of a vehicle ahead. There was absolutely no damage to the body. Please do take a look.

The insurance company (NJM) which has been a pleasure to deal with, declared it total loss; I bought it CPO in Dec 2010; the insurance company valued the car at the same price I purchased it for. It was a pleasant surpise. So the car did not depreciate in value for the nearly 16 months I owned it. I'm just curious why they did not depreciate the car's value. The car served me well financially even after it died.

Now I'm in the market for another one.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Why was it totaled with no body damage? what value did they place on the the car? Strange indeed. JP:confused:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
where are the pics?

my guess damage to exhaust and engine from running with out oil.

dministrator

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Sunroof+Nav
There was significant damage to under side of the car from under the front to back; the dealership that looked at it estimated the repair cost to be about $10,000; As recommended by the service crew at the dealership, the insurace co determined a total loss.

My wife was driving when this happened; she dealt with the insurance, rental car co, and dealership. My understanding of the damage is based on what she described to me. :)

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Wow that stinks. A skid plate would helped big time. NJM are very good insurance company. I just saw a Black 09 M6 Jetta for sale.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Stealership. Question answered.

"Oh, sir? You mean a shopping cart bumped into your car and put a 1/4 inch gouge in the metal? Well, now we're gonna have to fly in parts from Germany and German engineers to install the parts. $160 in paint just got turned into $16,500 in parts and labor. Car...totaled!

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
The day a man takes a woman's advice on anything related to motor vehicles is the day that said man gave up his right to fair treatment from his insurance company.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The day a man takes a woman's advice on anything related to motor vehicles is the day that said man gave up his right to fair treatment from his insurance company.
...sounds to me like you're hanging out with the wrong women...

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel

"Oh, sir? You mean a shopping cart bumped into your car and put a 1/4 inch gouge in the metal? Well, now we're gonna have to fly in parts from Germany and German engineers to install the parts. $160 in paint just got turned into $16,500 in parts and labor. Car...totaled!

Ask the guy who did the estimate what he would do if it was his car. I expect that much of it would be fixed with a hammer, window sealant, duct tape, and a can of spray paint from Canadian Tire. From what I can see, there was no damage to the oil pan.

In a job long ago, one of my duties was to take damaged rental cars to body shops for estimates. There was a huge difference between one shop and the next when I wouldnt give the second and third body shops a copy of their estimates. Finally one of them complained to my boss that I wasnt giving him a copy of the other estimates, and I was hauled into the office and told `how things were done around here`. So I complied and to no ones surprize, they all became the same!

Were there any other estimates? If so, to what extent did they agree? I am surprized if any of them included the muffler as it seems to me none of its functions were damaged.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW

That is so bogus!!

You left out straightening the frame and rebuilding the ion drive!!

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
They are both built on the A5 platform... I am sure if you looked at the engine compartment from the top it would look quite different, but other than that you can understand why the forums are divided by platform instead of engine fuel injection technology, as it does make for much better organization in the end.

ZeroCool

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW TDI
That reminds me.. I need to send in my application for NJM so I can get away from State Farm :)

One of the functions of declaring a total loss is also what the insurance company can sell for scrap/junk yard.

When we had that freak snow storm in October here in NJ... a tree came down in the back of my parents house, and all 3 cars were totaled.

My dad's BMW, brothers Mustang, and my mothers Mazda SUV

The BMW we got a decent chunk of change back mainly because the engine and other parts of the car were able to be salvaged.

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
So sorry to hear about your pride and joy (not the wife...heh) being totaled, you experience also brings home the ever pressing need for a Panzer Plate/Skid Plate addition that protects our beloved TDI's.

You should be quite happy with the 2006 and I'd suggest you familiarize yourself with that models idiosyncrasies that are well documented here on the TDI Forum.

If my 2010 Jetta TDI had happen to it what you experienced, I'd want to be back in another TDI ASAP, the 2006 is a fine choice...and...cheaper that a 2012!

Does ECS Tuning sell Ion drive units? :D