Oil Leak...

RndmGuy06

TDI
2002 Jetta
I was changing my TB today and got a closer look at my oil leak. I always thought that I was getting blow-by out my oil filler cap. I had replaced the seal before but it still leaked. Never thought too much about it until today.

Oily Before Pics...

After TB and cleaning...

If you look at the TB and cleaning pictures. Those oil spots are splatters from somewhere. I had driven around the block once at slow speeds to get the engine temp up. I have no idea where it is coming from.

Questions.
Could the EGR valve be going bad and shooting oil out somehow?
Is my turbo going bad and dumping oil in my intake?
(There is quite a bit of oil residue in my intake system)
Would cleaning out the entire intake system stop the oil consumption?

Details about my car.
2002 ALH Automatic 235k miles and I add around a quart every 5000 mi. (but the oil consumption depends on vehicle speed ie. highway I lose more oil versus around town)

Thank you everyone in advance! I am always on here reading and learning :)

Last edited:

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I haven't owned my TDI long enough to know how much oil consumption is considered normal... but I have read that the oil splatters you see around the EGR are "normal". They are coming from the lower port in the EGR. Do a search for "weeping (or weepy) ERG port" and you'll find that a lot of other guys have the same thing happening. My engine has 135K and does it, but not quite to the extent that yours does yet.

Last edited:

Jolio

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I've got oil in the same place on my new (used) 01, just noticed it today. I can't speak to the consumption rate, but I think I would have noticed that much oil if it had been there when I bought it 400 miles ago. I remember thinking the engine was dirty and that the last oil change must have been sloppy. I'm having mine looked at early next week, if I find anything relevant I'll let you know.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
For reference, My '96 uses about 2qts per 10000 mile oil change. My '06 uses about 1qt per 10000 miles. Both are considered normal.

Tony

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Could the EGR valve be going bad and shooting oil out somehow?
That is exactly where that leak is coming from.
The oil enters the intake from the CCV as is normal with all of these engines. But eventually the top diaphragm part of the EGR will start to leak and spray a fine mist of oil. The spray pattern will hit the exact area shown in your photos... top of the valve cover, down the back side of the engine, intake, exhaust manifolds, and will leak all the way down until you're wiping oil off your right axle shaft wondering '*** is this coming from?'
It looks like a lot more oil that it actually is, just because it's sprayed out so fine of a mist.

When you remove your intake (for cleaning), replace the EGR and hit everything w/ a rag w/ a little degreaser. It's easier to reach down to clean the back side w/ intake and egr off the car.

Last edited:

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
I have the same issue with the weeping but have taken care of that by tying a thin rag around the EGR to absorb most of the spray. Check and change periodically takes care of most of the oil.

RndmGuy06

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thank you everyone! I will search for "weeping EGR" and find out more. When we changed the TB we had oil everywhere! It really was quite alarming.

Follow-up Questions...may be covered under "weeping EGR"
How do you stop the weeping?
-Replace EGR? (for a little more I can buy a Malone tune with EGR Delete)
Can you repair the weeping EGR?
CCV Filter (Like the ones I see all the time made from Local Hardware Store)?
-Would this also slow/minimize the oil in the intake?

Last edited: