Do CCV Filters Prevent Intake Clogging?

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
First off: I'm not trolling and I know it seems like a silly question on the face of it. But I'm still fairly new around here, and while it's taken as gospel that a CCV filter will help reduce intake clogging, I haven't seen any "case studies" as it were.

I'm looking at a Mann ProVent for my new Golf TDI-PD, but before I plunk down the $$$, I'd like to know if those of you who have some kind of CCV filter or oil seperator, be it Eclipse, Old Navy, Mann, Racor, or home-grown, have found that your intakes have indeed remained clean(er).

I know, of course, that nothing definitive can come of this (it's not a proper study after all), but I would like to hear any "I installed my XYZ at 10,000mi and after X miles my intake is clean enough to eat out of" stories more experienced members might have. If you have any "I spent $150 on a filter and my %$#@! intake still filled up with crap" stories, I'd like to hear those, too. Data may not be the plural of anedote, but at least they'll give us all something to chew on.

Yours in the honest & innocent (and yes, obsessive
) search for knowledge--

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
I'd bet there are degrees to the clogging. In other words, it might clog worse with oil present. It would be good to know.

Does the TDI's catalytic converter (little or no crankcase oil here) clog-up over a period of time?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jeff, the elimination (or reduction) of oily vapors mixing with the EGR gases is certainly a step in the right direction but clearly not a total solution to the mess. Eliminating EGR eliminates IM clogging.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
Jeff, the elimination (or reduction) of oily vapors mixing with the EGR gases is certainly a step in the right direction but clearly not a total solution to the mess.
Right, that's the theory. But I still haven't seen the question asked, have people with CCV filters actually found that their intakes indeed remain noticeable cleaner?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Jeff, my experience with the A3.

Between the previous owner and myself, the car has had either a 1)elephant nose mod, 2)EGR mod, or 3)Old Navy CCV valve.

I removed the intake to check it this summer. Was checking a power loss problem. The intake had a very light coating of hard, black residue but was essentially wide open. I wasted my time removing it. 160K on the car.

Do the CCV mods work? You bet your sweet bippy!

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
Between the previous owner and myself, the car has had either a 1)elephant nose mod, 2)EGR mod, or 3)Old Navy CCV valve. I removed the intake to check it this summer...The intake had a very light coating of hard, black residue but was essentially wide open...160K on the car.
Thank you, that's just the kind of info I was looking for!

Anyone have similar experiences with A4 TDIs, esp. PD engines, with their more aggressive EGR systems?

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip

Between the previous owner and myself, the car has had either a 1)elephant nose mod, 2)EGR mod, or 3)Old Navy CCV valve.
Is the EGR mod just the Vagcom parameter change?

Dana D.

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, white
<font color="brown">Well ... that's one (the Vagcom) the other is pictured above where the EGR is physically blocked off and a new section of piping is installed (DG Racepipe?). (sparkly stuff in that pic -
pretty) I've heard the racepipe throws codes on all engine types.

The Vagcom worked for me and now I'm hoping the ON/CCV will cut the oil that gunks up the IC. </font>

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Anyone have similar experiences with A4 TDIs, esp. PD engines, with their more aggressive EGR systems?
Before installing the Old Navy CCV filter, my EGR and intake were oily but without any accumulation of crud.

When I checked yesterday, there was LESS oil coating the insides of the EGR, the flexible hose just downstream from the EGR, and the oddly-shaped plastic pipe that leads to the intercooler. I don't know about the intake itself, as I haven't looked. But without oil, there is nothing for particulates in the exhaust gases to mix with to create "crud."

I had the EGR cycle modified with VAGCOM at about 9k miles, and the ON CCV filter installed at 52k miles. I now have about 71k miles. So, I think my intake system is getting CLEANER through enthusiastic driving.

FWIW, I only use Delvac-1 synthetic or Mobil-1 Truck & SUV, changed every 10k miles. My fuel is filtered through a CAT 2-micron filter.

Clean fuel, premium motor oil, regular use of the entire power band, EGR mod, and the CCV filter -- perhaps they all contribute to keeping my intake clean.

keywestbob

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Golf TDi, bye-bye loyal Jetta Wagon, '04
I have not removed my intake or EGR but I did install a Mann filter system on my '04 Jetta at 5100 miles. When I did my oil change at 10,000 miles I removed 1.5 ounces of oil from the drain line I have hanging down from the Mann filter. The 1" (ID) line running to the Mann filter and the 90 deg elbow have a very nice oily coating while the 1" line running out of the filter is almost as clean & clear as when it was installed. Does it eliminate gunking up the intake? I don't know but I would bet the 1.5 oz of oil would have settled into the intercooler or the intake. For the record I use premium fuel (BP or Farm Service 24) and Stanadyne additive. When time permits I will pull the EGR.

kregars

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000
Pipe is the EGR offroad pipe IIRC, the large gasket is the intake gasket, the round is the EGR gasket, and the plate is to block off one fo the pipes, and the other smaller gasket appears to be for the return flex pipe...I'm sure I have some of those wrong, but basically its the offroad kit that used to be (and very well may still be able to be purchased) sold.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Diesel:

I'm new and a bit thick. What do all the pictures mean?
The pictures show, I think, a DieselGeek RacePipe. It replaces the EGR valve (and eliminates the antishudder valve, a potential negative).

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
Thanks for the stories, paramedick, TornadoRed, and keywestbob. Very encouraging!

keywestbob, how often do you plan on changing the filter in the Mann unit?

displaypack

TDI
2000 jetta tornado red
i would check out wingnuts ccv mod it has worked great for me no clogging juct search under wingnut its cheap and its a do-it yourselfer

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
i would check out wingnuts ccv mod
I'm actually using that setup right now, with a small bit of steel wool just before the tee acting as a condensor for the oil vapors. But I'm seriously considering the Mann filter (since the Old Navy CCV filter for PD engines is still MIA) as a long-term solution.

keywestbob

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Golf TDi, bye-bye loyal Jetta Wagon, '04
According to Scott Rongey at Reliable Industries who sells the Provent the filter might need to be replaced every year. Scott has seen them go longer on bad blowby stationary engines so on our little 1.9's who knows for sure? As long as it flows vapor it's ok, the oil it accumulates drains down so it self cleans in my book. It doesnt have to filter solids so what should clog it? I know people have complained about the price of the Provent or call me lazy but in my book I'd rather lift the hood, unscrew the filter cover and replace the element than spend a few hours to a day removing the intake, and intercooler, etc. Heres a link to the last discussion on these.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...part=1&vc=1

What does concern me is the only place I have found to put it is off the the right (when looking into engine compartment) of the oil filter housing and the line to/from it are subject to air flow through the radiator/fan, will water vapor freeze in the winter? It is under the engine cover and my commute is almost 50 miles one way so we'll see. This will be my first winter with this car so you guys tell me, do they require some sort of cover over the grill to cut down the cold winter air or will I need to put something in front of the Provent to help keep it warm?

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Before installing the Old Navy CCV filter, my EGR and intake were oily but without any accumulation of crud.
Did you remove the EGR valve assembly to check. See post:
EGR Post

When I checked yesterday, there was LESS oil coating the insides of the EGR, the flexible hose just downstream from the EGR, and the oddly-shaped plastic pipe that leads to the intercooler. I don't know about the intake itself, as I haven't looked. But without oil, there is nothing for particulates in the exhaust gases to mix with to create "crud."
So have you ever checked upstream of the EGR valve???
How do you know it is clean without removing EGR assembly - See this post too:
Another EGR Post

And you said there was "LESS" oil not "NO" oil. So basically your post is without merit unless you have removed your EGR assembly to check.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
What does concern me is the only place I have found to put it is off the the right (when looking into engine compartment) of the oil filter housing and the line to/from it are subject to air flow through the radiator/fan, will water vapor freeze in the winter?
Seems to me that being right next to the oil filter & engine block like that, it will get heated up quickly enough, and it will stay well above freezing while the car is operating. I guess in extreme conditions it might be worth while to put some foam insulation on the side of the Provent facing the radiator to shield it from the cold air, but I doubt ice would build up enought to restrict air flow. The water would condense to the bottom & freeze there, anyway.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you remove the EGR valve assembly to check... So have you ever checked upstream of the EGR valve??? How do you know it is clean without removing EGR assembly - See this post too:... So basically your post is without merit unless you have removed your EGR assembly to check.
Your objection is noted, and it's a good one. I've seen the pictures in that other thread, so I realize that only looking at the "easy-to-check" end of the EGR can be deceptive.

So it looks like I am going to be removing the EGR soon, just to make sure.

As for oil in the hoses and pipes leading to the intercooler... the system cannot clean itself so that you could eat off it.

Perhaps it would be more accurate to describe what I found as a very light oily film, and not particularly dirty. Running my finger around inside, it came out a bit greasy, but not black. There was no buildup of dirty or crud, and no liquid. I would say it was cleaner than most of the external surfaces of the engine.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
And you said there was "LESS" oil not "NO" oil. So basically your post is without merit unless you have removed your EGR assembly to check.
Don,

What has your experience been? Do you have any kind of CCV filter/bypass installed, and if so, has it reduced deposits in the intake tract?

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
The other alternative to eliminating the EGR via the Deisel Geek race pipe is a golf T like this.

Here is my post of my intake that had the EGR blocked for a while too. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=811491&Forum=
Since that post I have 5K miles on the car and I will try to check the EGR on Friday and try to take a picture of it. I have both the ON CCV and the golf T mod. I haven't had a CEL from the golf T yet (about 10K "off road
" miles or more since I did that, and yes I am one of the very lucky few!) If you put a golf T in you can always hook the egr back up. Also, if you do get a cell you can get an epsilian device on it.

{fixed link to make it shorter}

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Don,

What has your experience been? Do you have any kind of CCV filter/bypass installed, and if so, has it reduced deposits in the intake tract?
Here is my experience posted:
EGR Post

I just did this last weekend and am also wondering if a better CCV device will help. That is why I called TornadoRed to the mat on the subject.

I was told that the EGR mod would help - not sure that it did. I was told that hard driving would help - don't think that did either. Now I would like to see some proof that an OMCCV will help before I spend the money on it.

Otherwise it is only a half hour job to clean the ERG every 20k miles and perhaps I will do the intake during the 100k TB change.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
Now I would like to see some proof that an ONCCV will help before I spend the money on it.
Same here. Going by the posts in this thread, filtering the oil vapors from the CCV system is easier & more effective than trying to re-engineer the EGR system, especially in the heavily computerized later models. Unless the Old Navy filter for PD engines appears soon, I'll be buying a Mann ProVent filter as soon as I can scrape together the cash.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
In terms of removing the finer oil droplets I think you are money ahead with the Provent. It seems with all CCV filter solutions it's easy to remove the first 99% - in fact with the stock system that much probably ends up in the intercooler.

It's the last finely-aerosoled 1% that makes it all the way back up again to the intake. The Provent has a very fine glass fiber media and an appropriately-high surface area.

In the 2000 miles since my Provent installation I see the supply tube and filter inlet area are saturated with oil. However the interior of the canister and exit tube on the far side of the element are not even the slightest bit oily.

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
In the 2000 miles since my Provent installation I see the supply tube and filter inlet area are saturated with oil. However the interior of the canister and exit tube on the far side of the element are not even the slightest bit oily.
I think you're right on the money with your assessment.

Have you decided how often you're going to change the filter in the ProVent?