Aquired a 2013 Beetle TDI - little issues

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (Joan Jetta), 2013 Beetle TDI (Brunhilde Beetle)
Red, sunroof, drove it back to Texas from NC two weeks ago. Overall, a brilliant car! Here are the little issues:

1) CEL (loose gas cap) - Replaced the cap. Fixed.
2) CEL p2002, p0401 - Still under emissions warranty! :) Going into the dealer next Monday.
3) Low-speed brake squeal - Did (at the suggestions of this forum) some hard braking and that has cleared up.
4) Headlights shut off when pushing (continuous mode) high beams. No dash indicator. Pulling on lever (flash mode) works properly (i.e. high beam indicator and both filaments illuminate). Tried replacing bulbs, no change. Next is check fuses, but I don't want to pull all of the fuses to do this.

So, the question of the day: where is the fuse for the high-beam circuit? Which fuse box and what location? I have given up on getting a diagram for the whole shebang!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
#2 is more than likely a cracked DPF and should be covered under warranty. New dpf and EGR stuff. Read up here on those codes before taking it in so you have some knowledge of what it is and what is supposed to be done to fix it. You shouldn't be getting a cell for loose fuel cap on a diesel. Doesn't apply except for gas cars IIRC.

TDI
Thanks Lightflyer1!

The #1 problem was reported to me by the mechanic at the (Nissan) dealership after the CEL came on a few miles in on the trip back. It could be that it was the same codes, they just reset it and it took 500 miles for the problem with the dpf and egr valve to surface again.

I have read up on p2002 and p0401. I am under the 80k for the VW emissions warranty, so that's good.

Thanks again!

TDI
Update - According to the VW dealership here it is the DPF (replace), they will honor warranty. Yay! They do not have the part (why do they never have the part?). Boo!

If they get the part first thing tomorrow, I should be able to pick up Brunhilde "late afternoon." What is involved in replacing the DPF? Does not sound like an extensive procedure...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The egr stuff should be replaced as well. When the dpf cracks and lets soot through, it usually clogs the egr valves and such too. They are after the dpf and should be clean and not sooted up. Discuss this with them. If you get it tomorrow you will be lucky as most have been reporting a month or more wait. Good luck and keep us informed please!

TDI
Just like you said, I was informed yesterday that the DPF is on "national backorder." I will certainly discuss the EGR stuff with them when the DPF comes in...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You may want to do this now. It would be a shame to wait and additional 2 months after the dpf comes in for the egr stuff to come in too.

Howie09tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI(buyback gone) 2015 BEETLE TDI
My 2015 Beetle tdi dsg giving me a P2478 code 68k miles any info on this code?

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
The #1 problem was reported to me by the mechanic at the (Nissan) dealership after the CEL came on a few miles in on the trip back. It could be that it was the same codes, they just reset it and it took 500 miles for the problem with the dpf and egr valve to surface again.
This is a complete lie. The "gas cap was loose" excuse only applies to gasoline powered vehicles that have an EVAP system. Gas vapors are toxic and volitile so they need to be kept from escaping the fuel system, so the vehicle monitors the tank for leaks - if the gas cap is off it throws a code. That system DOES NOT exist on your diesel, so you can drive around all day long without a the fuel cap and it won't cause a code.

TDI
Update - They said the part came in way back on 2/28. Turns out, they were mistaken. I got a call on Monday (7/12) that the part had finally come in. Took Brunhilde in Tuesday, and picked the car up Wednesday. So, part took nearly 5 months to come in.

Whew!

TDI
So, the only problem that remains is #4:

4) Headlights shut off when pushing (continuous mode) high beams. No dash indicator. Pulling on lever (flash mode) works properly (i.e. high beam indicator and both filaments illuminate). Tried replacing bulbs, no change. Next is check fuses, but I don't want to pull all of the fuses to do this.

Had the oil changed at a mechanic I trusted with Joan Jetta (2006 Jetta TDI), and mentioned the issue to him, and he couldn't find a similar problem in his system. Weird.

Fuses are really hard to track down. I am now thinking a problem with the switch in the steering column. I mean if it was the fuses (there are 2 for the high beams, and 2 for the low beams) both would have to be out (unlikely), and the flash feature would not work.

Ah, a puzzle! :)

Last edited:
TDI
OK, replaced both bulbs, no change. To sum up: flash high beams (pull on stalk) nothing; continuous high beams (push stalk) low beams off, no high beams.

So, after researching here I think it is a switch issue (gummed up or corroded). Also, some here have had success spraying Deoxit and exercising the switch (aka wiggling the stalk :). I want to try this next, but need more detail. Do I have to take the covers off? Can I just spray it into the area? How/where do I spray the Deoxit?

Thanks in advance for your help!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
OK, replaced both bulbs, no change.
You don't say! :unsure:
So you though that the bulbs would somehow know that you were pushing instead of pulling to send power to them pre-replacement? 🙄

To sum up: flash high beams (pull on stalk) nothing; continuous high beams (push stalk) low beams off, no high beams.
This is now a different story than post #1....... 🤔

TDI
You don't say! :unsure:
So you though that the bulbs would somehow know that you were pushing instead of pulling to send power to them pre-replacement? 🙄

This is now a different story than post #1....... 🤔
Very tasty snark, TurboABA! I get your point. The full story: I replaced the bulbs again because one of the low beam filaments burned out. Did not fix the problem; I didn't expect it to. I did clean and bulb grease the pins and sockets when I replaced the bulbs, also no effect.

So, it looks like I am down to:

#1 replace the switch (which for the 2013 is a single unit for both stalks and a bit too tedious for me to do myself). $500 plus here to have it done. I feel like it is overkill.

#2 Remove the covers on the steering column and clean/dust. Others here have had success with it, and the problem with the high beams seems like a fairly common one with VWs in general. I love my Beetle and loved my Jetta, but VW does seem to have a few little electrical issues to keep us guessing...