BRM newbie need help

unionmax481

TDI
02 jetta
Bought the car knowing it needed work, first put new clutch and flywheel, then went on to figure out no throttle I'm getting a tps code for p0227 signal to low but when I read the position I can watch go from 0-100 is there another sensor I need to look at. I also keep getting cam sensor code p0341 implausible signal. put new cam sensor it started to read now back to implausible signal and brake switch code implausible signal p0571. the car starts and has a miss and really rich on fuel at idle but this is all the codes I have and I cant figure out where to go from here. I check wiring for chafe and repaired some wires, I cant find anything else noticeable previous owner had timing belt done but it looks to all be good. Im at a loss any advice would be appreciated

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
First and easiest thing to check is the grounds. Remove the battery tray and tighter the chassis ground to the transmission. A slightly loose ground on these cars can allow lights and everything to work, but create these odd issues.

If that's not it, take the battery box back out and open up the main wiring loom. The wires have a habit of chaffing near the battery box and where clips that hold it down. It's essential to do these steps before replacing any parts.

unionmax481

TDI
02 jetta
checked the grounds and wiring under battery all the wat to the ecm nothing was chafed only bad spot on the harness was over the starter an I repaired those, nothing has changed

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Do you have VCDS or are you using a generic scanner? VCDS can tell more of the story.

On the cam position sensor issue, pull the connector for the CPS and connect a volt meter with the key on. My manual says voltage should be 5 with the key on for the two wires on the outside. Resistance should be 1.5 ohms. If that's not working, it's likely a wiring issue. In case if you do end up having to pull the ECM and checking the resistance, the pins are 27, 28 and 12.

I'm not sure if the other issues you're having are related or separate.

unionmax481

TDI
02 jetta
I have vcds. When talking the resistance are you saying check the resistance between ecu v hot wire and the single wire or resistance on the cam sensor

unionmax481

TDI
02 jetta
found problem with cam sensor round wire was broken at the connector one strand holding it together fixed and now works thanks for the help, now onto throttle peddle position sensor p0227 any suggestions

unionmax481

TDI
02 jetta
I'm getting a intermittent brake switch sensor code, why is there 2 diff. ones? And how can i test it. The throttle peddle is good I tested it in my son's car and I have 5v at the plug on all the terminal