Fuel gauge weirdness

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
The other day I popped into irving, left the car running, and filled the tank till it stopped. 13.4 gallons, IIRC. To me that says "filled up."

And yet, when I got in the car, I had just over a half filled tank according to the fuel meter. Turned the car off an on, reseated the gas cap, nothing. An hour later, it popped up a notch to three quarters of a tank.

Anyone see anything like this? Car's only got 3k so I'm not worried, it's obviously still very much in the warranty period, but what the hell?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i think its illegal to fill up the car while its running in canada (ontario) anyway

usualsuspektt

TDI
'11 Jetta DSG sedan TDI
Besides the fact it's illegal mostly everywhere I was alway told it's not good for the car. It's a good way to get a CEL because the sensors will detect the loss of vacuum that happens with the cap on.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
it's a diesel. filling it up while running is part of the fun. only an issue for gassers. did it with my 96 passat tdi all the time with zero issues. that said, i'm not surprised all the emissions crap has an issue with it, so i'll discontinue the practice with this one. it eventually (three days later) went up to a full tank. kind of fun to watch.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Besides the fact it's illegal mostly everywhere I was alway told it's not good for the car. It's a good way to get a CEL because the sensors will detect the loss of vacuum that happens with the cap on.
My understanding is that the gas cap gets checked by the ECU if several things are met - engine warmed up and driving at 55-65 MPH for 10 minutes and the tank has to be less than 3/4 full. My Aveo had a CEL for gas cap and it finally went on after a 12 minute freeway trip. Screwed cap on and went out after another 12 minute freeway trip. That being said I still don't fill up my gas cars while running.

If I am at a gas station I don't leave the diesel cars running while filling up for fear of gas fumes getting sucked into my engine - however, that is probably not probable I still don't risk it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
you're diesel vw isn't an aveo, nice to compare the two though

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I wasn't comparing. I was explaining how the tank check works on a gas car. Just used my gasser as an example of how it works. Also, maybe I shouldn't say my understanding - I should have been more concrete. Those ARE the parameters of when the tank gets checked by ECU.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
yes, those are concrete things for your aveo's ECU, yet they don't apply to you're TDI's ECU, and I didn't see where you were stating the difference.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
It is not Aveo specific but gas car specific. I am sure there are differences when there is a specific gas cap light - but I have a feeling the same parameters apply.

Anyways, way off topic - I shouldn't have even brought gasoline into the mix. :)

I would like to find out how it works on the TDI since it does have a fuel cap light in dash. Maybe when I get to 3/4 tank I'll loosen cap and see what happens.

Last edited: