Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

Ender3D

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.8T
does anyone have a P/N and/or a source for the white cluth pedal switch? The pedal assembly that was sent to me only came with the Blue/ Cruse Control switch.

Edit:
Never mind.. found part number listed on VW Vortex thanks to google...
White switch P/N is: 1J0 927 189C
Blue Switch is: 1J0 927 189F

My question now though is where oh where do you mount the other switch. im not seeing any place that another switch will really fit. dosn't seem right that it will go in the hole below the blue switch...(doesnt seem to be enough space)
am I missing something?

Last edited:

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Great, I was not able to find it on vagcat. I'll update the word doc and pdf Monday or in a few days. This reminds me, my clutch switch may be going bad or needing a readjustment.

If anyone has any other corrections wiring etc.

Ender3D said:
does anyone have a P/N and/or a source for the white cluth pedal switch? The pedal assembly that was sent to me only came with the Blue/ Cruse Control switch.

Edit:
Never mind.. found part number listed on VW Vortex thanks to google...
White switch P/N is: 1J0 927 189C
Blue Switch is: 1J0 927 189F

My question now though is where oh where do you mount the other switch. im not seeing any place that another switch will really fit. dosn't seem right that it will go in the hole below the blue switch...(doesnt seem to be enough space)
am I missing something?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
You are missing a mounting bracket that goes on the top stud, (above the blue switch), right behind the brace that goes from the top stud of the clutch pedal bracket over to the brake pedal bracket.

I have it in front of me but it doesn't have a part number and I can't find it in ETKA. :(

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
If you notice the lever in the above photo, the bracket Occam's Razor noticed allows you to have the clutch on the floor to start the motor. the switch you have there is for the cruise.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I ordered that one from impex.com I think the part number is in the doc and pdf.

Occams_Razor said:
You are missing a mounting bracket that goes on the top stud, (above the blue switch), right behind the brace that goes from the top stud of the clutch pedal bracket over to the brake pedal bracket.

I have it in front of me but it doesn't have a part number and I can't find it in ETKA. :(

Ender3D

TDI
2003 Jetta 1.8T
thanks guys. I'll take another look through the word doc.

Occam, to be sure I understand... This is a seperate bracket from the V bracket that ties the clutch and and brake pedals together, but shares the same stud on the clutch pedal?

push comes to shove, i could probibly fabricate something myself for that. I had figured that the flap at the top of the clutch pedal was to depress the switch but wasnt 100% about it.

any chance you can take a photo of it Occam?

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Ender3D said:
thanks guys. I'll take another look through the word doc.

Occam, to be sure I understand... This is a seperate bracket from the V bracket that ties the clutch and and brake pedals together, but shares the same stud on the clutch pedal?

push comes to shove, i could probibly fabricate something myself for that. I had figured that the flap at the top of the clutch pedal was to depress the switch but wasnt 100% about it.

any chance you can take a photo of it Occam?
No, its the bracket that hold starter interlock switch, so when you push clutch pedal it would allow you to start the car. I have one spare one, if you interested let me know. I will try post picture of it tomorrow.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Funny, I don't recall it holding the switch, but it did definitely stabilize the clutch pedal side flexing by connecting it to the brake.

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
while technically, it is a good idea to chane the clutch, it is not 100% needed.

Reasons for not changing clutch...
Cost

Reasons for changing clutch...
Old clutch is an unkown quantity
DMFs are known for failure
Better holding power
Longer lasting than a used clutch

At the minimum you should get a new throwout bearing

alphaseinor

TDI
the only time you don't want to change it is when cost is the only factor... and at that... you still want to use a brand new throwout bearing.

if you want a guaranteed reliable clutch then you must.
if you are broke, then it's still a great idea to change the clutch... because it's a pain to change the clutch if/when it breaks/slips/explodes/etc.

alphaseinor

TDI
there is no flywheel on an AT

I was of course assuming you planned on using the junkyard flywheel

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
alphaseinor said:
there is no flywheel on an AT
quote]

Hmm, so what you call that thing that starter turns over to start engine? I always thought and remember in repair manuals it always called flywheel for AT & MT. The MT flywheel is a lot thicker and has milled out surface against which clutch grinds. On AT flywheels is thin and nothing grinds against other then torque converter bolts on to. just my .02:)

alphaseinor

TDI
the AT is the torque converter, not a flywheel... and the thin metal thingie is called a flex plate.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
mongo brake pedal

Several times my foot hit the edge of the brake pedal when going for the clutch; unsettling to say the least. So I have been think about just taking a metal cutoff disk to the excess brake pedal. I'm thinking if I do it right, the rubber cover from a 5 speed brake pedal will fit just right. Of course I'll need to debur the sharp edges so the the cover does not get cut.

From this comparison picture below, it looks like the pedals all come down from the same location, and my plan will make just like OEM 5 speed (which must have the smaller pedal for this very reason).

<<< VISTA GARBAGE

Side note: My foot has never sliped off the clutch, so why do I need such a mongo brake pedal? Maybe they are marketing to former US cars with even bigger brake pedals.

Last edited:

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Auto to Manual Brake Pedal Conversion

I did the Auto to Manual Brake Pedal Conversion today. Thanks to thebigarniedog for sending the OEM cover.

1st I measured the inside of the new smaller cover and the bigger auto brake pedal to see how much to cut off:

H W
Auto 2.6" 3.8"
Manual 2.3" 1.9" (estimated)

The old and new covers:

Mark off how much to cut, including the grease pencil line:
Trim 0.3 to 0.35 off the bottom, the left half, and lower left angle...

Looking at the back side I see some welds, but they look like no problem. If they are cut, no biggie, since you push straight down (no side torque load), so they wont be needed as much.

Getting ready to make a lot of dust with a metal cuting wheel.

My rotozip with a elbow and 4" wheel makes this job go fast.

After cutting and some filing rough edges and sanding to polish:

Some cold galvanizing spray paint:

Push hard on the cover with my foot, after triming some of the inference rubber on the right side.

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
GdB, you did nice job on brake pedal modification! Just curious, why did you decided to cut a pedal instead of going to junkyard and get a pedal from 5speed VW?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Nice going...I can see why, that clutch pedal was pretty close to the brake.

I'm planning a 5 speed swap very soon and I'm dealing with a guy on vwvortex and just planning on getting the brake pedal from him too.

I have a semi-related question though. I am well-versed with driving manuals and dont have any concerns there, however I have never driven a VW manual. I did sit in a 5 spd NB TDI last week but didnt drive it, the stupid detailers had armor-alled the clutch pedal and it was very slick so I didnt bother driving it. I doubt they would not have liked my foot slipping off the clutch and then plowing into a line of brand new Passats.

Anyway, apart from the slippy pedal...I found the position a bit far right for my tastes, and it had longer travel than I anticipated. How much of that travel is actually used in driving? What I would like is to be able to have my left foot on the dead pedal, and then be able to rotate on my heel to control the clutch without too much issue. I'm a big guy and I like my legroom and being able to spread out.

I'm thinking if there was some way I could modify the clutch pedal to be the size of the A/T brake pedal...that I could be pretty happy. Any of you think this would be possible?

Losha I'd like to talk to you sometime about maybe getting some help from you on the swap. If not on person, then at least keep you on retainer for online/phone help? I'm loosely planning on sometime in december or january. My temp. job placement will be done then. Hopefully I'll have another job by then, but if I have a few weeks to myself...it'll be swap time for sure.

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
TDICADDGUY said:
Losha I'd like to talk to you sometime about maybe getting some help from you on the swap. If not on person, then at least keep you on retainer for online/phone help? I'm loosely planning on sometime in december or january. My temp. job placement will be done then. Hopefully I'll have another job by then, but if I have a few weeks to myself...it'll be swap time for sure.
Feel free to contact me via email or PM. I will be doing another manual swap sometime in november on friends jetta. So if you have sometime you could come and take a look whats involves in doing manual swap. Also I'm planning on going to MN next weekend or on november 8th, so we could get together and you can see how I do swaps and test drive my TDI. I will let you know when I will be in your neighborhood next time.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
Time

I am extremely busy, so time was a big deal. Also, I am very handy with fabricating. The time it took to do this way was about 1 hour. It helped that I happen to have a very complete set of tools to do metal cuting and filing, sanding. My shop vac and and other stuff was all close at hand.

Do you think an OEM brake pedal could be installed in 1 hour?

Losha said:
GdB, you did nice job on brake pedal modification! Just curious, why did you decided to cut a pedal instead of going to junkyard and get a pedal from 5speed VW?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
midntdi said:
Probably not since to replace the glove box on my Jetta I have to remove the center console.
Hmm, when I replaced glove box on my golf and another GTI never had to remove center console. All you do is loose 3 on top screws and 3 on bottom then pop off right side cover and you just pull glove box out, that simple. Don't know why you had to take half interior out to remove the glove box.:confused:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
GdB said:
Do you think an OEM brake pedal could be installed in 1 hour?
Don't know I haven't really looked into that, what it involves in removing brake pedal. I don't notice any issues with clutch pedal been too close to brake pedal yet.

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
A3 020 tranny into A4 for 5 speed tranny swap?

Just wondering if a 020 tranny from a A3 TDI would work in an A4 TDI?

It looks tricky, and probably not worth it.

QUESTION: Are the 020 tranny Speedometer cable threads and interface the same as the 02j?
QUESTION: Are the 020 tranny mounts different?

Some research results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf
Golf Mk3 (A3/Typ 1H, 1992-1998)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=642018
“CORRECT ME IF I'm WRONG:
020 - Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Scirocco, B4 passat 4cyl gasoline engines,
02A - Corrado, B3 Passat, B4 passat TDI & VR6, Mk3 VR6 & TDI
02J - Mk4, B5
02M - 6 speeds from Mk4's”

[FONT=&quot]http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=389785&postcount=2

A3 Cars (~1996-1999.5 in NA)
-------
1.9L TDI (engine code AHU)
5-spd manual tranny (code 020 or 021)
4-spd auto tranny (code 096 or 01M)

A4 Cars (~1998-present in NA)
-------
1.9L TDI (engine code ALH)
5-spd manual tranny (code 02J)
4-spd auto tranny (code 01M)

[/FONT] 02m swap into a mk4 http://mistralvr6.topcities.com/02MSwap.html#1
“02j and 02a transmission are interchangeable. some of them require replacing the flanges. but is very easy to do with a sledges hammer and a chisel.”

“020 Trans Speedometer cable gears:
020 3.9= 171 957 821 A (WHITE)
020 3.6= 171 957 821 B (RED)
020 4.2= 171 957 821 C (Green)”

in case it was driving anyone else bonkers as well- the bolt for the 020 speedo gear plate (that holds the cable into the tranny) is M7X1.25- a thread pitch that is incredibly difficult to find in places other than the dealer. thanks vw! the bolts that hold the lower inspection plate to the bellhousing are M7X1.0, some hardware stores will carry these.”

“ok, 020 gears and 02a/02j gears WILL NOT INTERCHANGE. now alot of stuff between 02a and 02j will interchange, but I don't know all the technicalities here. I think al the 02a/j gears will interchange, and also 02B, 02C, and 02D tranny internals for the most part”

[FONT=&quot]“The case of the O2A/J is actually shorter then the 020's. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The O2A/J's are pretty similar on the outside, but not exact, as we found out. The casting around the diff case has a bit more meat on it, as well as the casting for that we use for the sidemount.”[/FONT]

020 Transmission Specifications​

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI
I've had a lot of requests to put in a 02j into a mk3 where an 02a was... it looks like it should work just fine... the shift linkage box on a mk3 only has three mounting points, where the mk4 has four...

That's the extent of what I know for sure...

GdB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV swap 2002
I got the metal coolant flange installed to fix a leak. I also used the grey coolant specific RTV sealant to be double sure of no future leakage.

For reference, the hose that is unique to the manual metal coolant flange is

VW PN: 1J0 122 157 BF

That way if you want a new hose when you install it you can get it on worldimpex for $20 or maybe at Napa?