power boxes and chips

Gary S

Veteran Member
Hey I'm new and confused. All I want to do is have better fuel economy more power is nice don't get me wrong. My question is do I get a power box which I undersand I can do myself, or one of the chip sets that have to be sent in to get done. Also to get at the ECU it sounds like you have to take the car 1/2 apart. Are higher gears available somewhere for the 5 spd Jetta TDI 2001?

Help please!!!!!!

Gary S

Veteran Member
Thanks Valois,

I looked at the threads for the gears but nowhere can I find where I can order some for my Jetta. Believe it or not at a Checker Auto store here they say that a KN Air filter isn't even available and 1/2 of you guys are running them. Boy am I in the sticks.

Even stock I cant understand how they sell any other car. I love it but 60mph would be better than 50 mph. Am I dreaming?

valois

Banned
No some have reported 60. Fred has a tabulation of the percentage of members versus their fuel milage in the voting section, you will see that at or near 60 is an elite club. The passats seem to be exceptional in this regard, probably due to aerodynamics. Tazz and Brussels Belgium are in that catagory. I'll send an email to mike with a link to this thread perhaps he can answer some questions for you. He has pioneered several things and is very sound in his mechanics, has alot of diesel experience also. Let us know how your quest proceeds.

Arizona Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997, White
Gary, in an effort to keep from re-posting information that I believe should be able to answer any questions you my have about 5th gear ratio changes I am going to redirect you to the following posts. They both have information from many forum members to include their point of view / opinion, parts source, cost and transaxle applications.

5th gear ratio change

Shows how it is done 5th gear ratio change with pictures.

How to 5th gear ratio change with pictures

Any other questions you may have in the gear change area can be asked on these posts so we can keep all the related information in one area. As stated by Valois, keep us informed on your quest. Thanks, Mike

------------------
97 Jetta, .72 5th gear, EGR-ectomy, 195x65x14 tires, Debadged, Limo tint,Boost gauge, Pyrometer, Volt Gauge, Mud guards, Dash mat, CD changer. And still learning!!!

[This message has been edited by Arizona Mike (edited November 16, 2000).]

valois

Banned
A chip or tuning box can increase economy if you drive conservatively, but it's not going to be the most cost effective way to do it. Taller 5th gears are availible, Both BG and Arizona Mike have made changes to their trannys.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Gary S, darn, i just spent a day driving through Montana on my way to Washington. i coulda stayed at your place instead of a hotel

another option since i do not know what the fifth gear will cost you is to put larger tires on your car ie: more rolling diameter. this unfortunatly will make your car harder to take off at stops and will work more on the clutch the same.

i am posting this part not because i sell the things but as information:
with my UPsolute chip in my 2000 JEDI i got 44mpg in the mountains with a TB attached and 38 with out it. no claims written or implied this is just what i noticed. i took it off after getting 44mpg since i usually see 52mpg. i went down to 38mpg and then put the TB bcak on and went back up to 44mpg. this was through the mountains doing 90mph (72mph average including stops every 150miles, mommy was with me
)
and as a trailer, i did not notice any difference in weather, winds or incline. i feel this, for my car and this case, is an honest claim

garrett P.

------------------
2000 JEDI TDI Silver (helps reflect cosmic rays)
Full Commander, Prime Minister of Power and all that is good
assistant to President Valois in the UPsolute territory

[This message has been edited by garrettp (edited November 17, 2000).]